• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Recommend an understable mid to me

I have a super beat in X comet I can get it 350ft on open flat land if the wind is right. Also some flat top KC PRO Rocs (which just hold the line you put on it). I tried the buzzz but like the normal domey roc's eventual fade. Flat top kc pro Rocs are similar to buzz with bead in baseline plastic. PM me for pics if interested

Last edited:
I just started using the dd warrant for this slot and I am loving it. Exactly what you are ok if for at least in my hand.

I was going to say this too but... Lucid plastic might not fit Hughes' wants. But yeah, I've been doing exactly this. The DD Warrant is a beat Dx Roc out of the box.

Would you say the S Mystic fades less than the Element? I was expecting the Element to be pretty flippy and it *is* flippy at high speed, but it can fade pretty good at low speed too. The window where I find it useful is just too small. Too little power and it goes straight and fades. Too much power without enough hyzer and it turns and burns. Good power with good hyzer release and it goes 350 feet and ends up way past my target.

Mine is flippy at high speed. at 240 still going to turn stable at 200 with little fade. The E mystic flies like a E element with less fade.IMHO

So the current recommendations I have seen in the thread are:

Innova
DX Cobra
Star Mako/3
XT Atlas

DC
X/Ti/ESP Comet
ESP Meteor
X/D Buzzz

Gateway
S Mystic

Prodigy
350G/350RX/300 M4

Trilogy
GL Fuse
TP Tursas
Lucid Warrant

ABC Discs
Platinum Flying Squirrel

MVP/Axiom
Theory
Tangent

Maybe after this thread slows down I'll make a poll. :)

My first thought was Champion Mako3...you don't like Champion type plastics so I vote Star Mako3. I use a beat up Roc for my understable mid. It really isn't that hard to get a KC/DX to be flippy. If you don't have the patience to beat one up on the course...throw one into a wall.

If you do a Mako, do the original Mako not the Mako3.

Another option. Daredevil Caribou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESP Meteor or Star/Eco Mako

They fill the wants, but they are finesse enough you got to expect serious field time. Rims are mellow enough to play catch with.
Discraft factory store has ESP meteor misprint 4 packs if you wanna commit. They would be easy traders if you no like.

Novice Viewpoint - Give the Tangent a Try

I've heard a lot of good things about the Tangent so I might try one of those.

Just got my first Tangent last week and it already has a place in my six disc minimal bag. It consistently outdistances my favorite lightweight Leopard, Shark, or Cobra and is way more controllable.

If I can manage this disc, anyone can. :thmbup:

Another vote for the Theory. Tangent is nice also, but I prefer the Theory for most shots. It will not fade out at lower power.

I love my flying squirrel, but it's got more turn than you're looking for.
Just my opinion on that one in particular.

Do they still make Ontario rocs?
Anyway, X Comet.

The Mirage is a putter; do you get mid level distances out of it? I already have Colts that do this shot really well inside of 250 or so.

The Mirage is advertised as 3,4,-3,0, but the Marshall Street Flight Guide has it in the Speed 5 range, and my own numbers for this disc would be 5,5,-3,0. Unlike the Colt and Stud, which are putt/approach discs, the Mirage is more like a mid, though perhaps unintended to be.

For example: I threw my Star Stud, Star Colt, and Star Mirage at a basket about 120 feet away. The Stud landed about pin high, 12 feet or so to the right of the basket. The Colt was pin high and parked within 2 feet. The Mirage went straight at the basket... and clean over it, landing about 20-25 feet past the basket.

The Mirage only requires about 50% power to go straight and 100 feet. Thrown with more power, the Mirage turns over but goes mid distances. I took the Prodigy M4 out of my bag and use the Mirage for the throws where I used to use the M4.

The Mirage is shallow, it's touchy and will need to be learned, but it's not just a putt/approach like the Stud and Colt...

I used to throw beat up DX Rocs for the same shots you described, and at about the same distance (300-325'). I moved on to a Goldline Fuse, because I didn't like always throwing my beat up Rocs with fear of losing them. I wanted a mid that would fly like my beat up Roc's out of the box, and the GL Fuse did that well.

With that being said, I have since moved on to the Mako3. For some reason I just prefer them to the Fuse. I bag both a Champion and Star, with the Star being more understable of the two. the Champion I can lay into on a flat release, and have it go dead nuts straight out to around 300'. I use the Star version for hyzer flip straight shots, and turnover lines that finish right.

I also vote warrant. I actually have been meaning to post in the warrant thread how much I enjoy throwing mine. It is perfect for the hyzer flip straight to turnover shot you speak of. I also throw and love DX Rocs but have been trying premium understable mids lately to replace easier and keep in the sweet spot longer. What I really like about it is the lack of low speed fade even when underpowered.

i've had good luck with the discraft Z meteor, it flies straight with slight hyzer release, and turns over to an anni nicely without any fading back at the end, and it glides forever for those short, downhill, touch shots at minimal power

I have tired a few and didn't love any as much as a beat up Glo Roc.

Z Comet isn't bad though.