• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend me a Bag!

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Well here I am in year 4 still using a backpack. I have used a small, purse style bag by Dynamic Discs that was stolen, but that bag is not for me anyway.

I would like a bag that has fits 15+ish discs comfortably. Not looking for anything too big or with too many extra pockets. I wouldn't mind a backpack style, although they all seem quite expensive. Innova's Deluxe bag looks about right, but if I would get a bag that style, I would want to put backpack straps on it, and from what I can tell it only has two hookups.

Basically looking for something well made and easy on the back. Any and all recommendations appreciated!

Price range? This is going to greatly shape the responses. No need recommending $200+ bags if you only want to drop 100.

Well here I am in year 4 still using a backpack. I have used a small, purse style bag by Dynamic Discs that was stolen, but that bag is not for me anyway.

I would like a bag that has fits 15+ish discs comfortably. Not looking for anything too big or with too many extra pockets. I wouldn't mind a backpack style, although they all seem quite expensive. Innova's Deluxe bag looks about right, but if I would get a bag that style, I would want to put backpack straps on it, and from what I can tell it only has two hookups.

Basically looking for something well made and easy on the back. Any and all recommendations appreciated!

The deluxe bag does have hookups for backpack straps. It's a quality medium sized bag, not a bad choice at all.

Just a thought if you have some froends with different types of bags, you might be so bold as to ask if you can wear them for a while to see how they feel.

I had a Fade Tourney with QuadShox for over a year (essentially identical to the Innova Competition bag) but after a while I wasn't happy with the way it felt, particularly playing long, multi-round days. I didn't like the way the bag sists so low with conventional straps. I found backpack bags that sit higher up on your back (than a bag with quad straps does) seem to take less out of me on those long days.

Most quality backpack bags cost quite a bit more than "conventional DG" bags, but don't forget to factor in the cost of straps (about another $30-40) when considering the cost of a bag... I don't see the point in getting a bag with 20 disc capacity if you aren't going to get quad straps or a back pack style... that's a lot to sling over one shoulder... catches up to you over the course of a long day.

Not saying the cost of straps bridges the gap between cost of a $50 bag and a back pack bag... but it certainly draws the total cost closer, perhaps to where a back pack becomes more feasible as a longer term investment in the eyes of some.

Last edited:
Right now I think the best bang for your buck is the Dynamic Discs Soldier bag. Stores 18-20 and has 2 drink holders for a real fair price. If you want the best buy a Gorilla Boy Silverback that is similar in size but blows everyones quality away.

The DD Soldier with straps is a great way to go for your needs.

If you can wait a little bit, the Upper Park Shift might work for you as a backpack.

Yeah, if you want a backpack style for cheap, Upper Park is probably the way to go, though I don't have personal experience with their bags.

I can't over recommend Gorilla Boy. My Simian (his backpack) is insanely well constructed. It's unique, durable, and I love that they're hand made in the US. The only deterrent is the wait, but for me, that's a small price to pay for a bag I'll have my entire life. The Simian costs $200 plus $20 shipping, so depending on your budget that might be too much. The Chimp sounds like it might fit your needs: the main holds 14-16 discs, plus 2 in the putter pocket, and it's reasonably priced at $60. It's got a four-point hook up for straps. There are a ton of pics of the Chimp here.

Seriously, if you can stomach the wait at all, GB is worth it.

The Innova Deluxe is a quality bag that has 4 attachment points for backpack straps. I've been using mine for over a year now. A Dynamic Discs Soldier bag would probably fit the bill as well.

Thanks guys. Price is not a huge factor, the right bag for me is mainly what I'm looking for. Those of you that have tried both backpack and staps + bag: do you like the comfort or weight distribution on one or the other? Like I said, I am mainly looking for a medium sized bag, and not a mobile fortress like some appear to be. :)

Thanks for the info on the Innova, I couldn't tell from the picture. I am not in any hurry to make a purchase and will likely weigh the options carefully first, so I could wait for Upper Park, that bag looks really nice. I wonder how the size will compare to a grip (looks large but I've never tried one)? I have a friend who has a latitude pro bag (much too big) and a DD Soldier bag, so I will have to try that one out.

Thanks guys. Price is not a huge factor, the right bag for me is mainly what I'm looking for. Those of you that have tried both backpack and staps + bag: do you like the comfort or weight distribution on one or the other? Like I said, I am mainly looking for a medium sized bag, and not a mobile fortress like some appear to be. :)

Thanks for the info on the Innova, I couldn't tell from the picture. I am not in any hurry to make a purchase and will likely weigh the options carefully first, so I could wait for Upper Park, that bag looks really nice. I wonder how the size will compare to a grip (looks large but I've never tried one)? I have a friend who has a latitude pro bag (much too big) and a DD Soldier bag, so I will have to try that one out.

I have the deluxe bag and the shoulder strap is fine for me. Even fully loaded, it's not particularly heavy. Anything bigger than that I use backpack straps.

if you want to invest, go with a Voodoo Mojo. 5 year limited warranty, 10-15+ disc capacity (I just stuck 18 drivers, mids, and putters in mine and it fits comfortably), Removable divider in case you need to carry more or less discs, 2 drink slots, putter slot fits up to 3, a mini slot, etc. HIGHLY recommended you pair with a backpack style strap as carrying it with one shoulder can be a bit awkward. If price isn't an option go check it out at: http://www.voodoodiscgolf.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=39

if you want to invest, go with a Voodoo Mojo. 5 year limited warranty, 10-15+ disc capacity (I just stuck 18 drivers, mids, and putters in mine and it fits comfortably), Removable divider in case you need to carry more or less discs, 2 drink slots, putter slot fits up to 3, a mini slot, etc. HIGHLY recommended you pair with a backpack style strap as carrying it with one shoulder can be a bit awkward. If price isn't an option go check it out at: http://www.voodoodiscgolf.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=39

It's gonna be awhile before the Mojo is available again.

I had a Fade Tourney bag for a while with the Fade Weatherguard straps. The straps were really comfortable for what they were but long multi round days started to wear on the lower back. Constantly messing with and untangling the straps is also a pain in my opinion.

I have now switched to the GB Simian and my back never hurts nor do my straps get tangled. and I have a stool that I don't have to take out and mess with during my round, because my bag is it. Best bag out there. A little bulky but the juice is definitely worth the squeeze.

I recommend anything GB that fits your needs (something will). But if you price becomes an issue or you don't want to wait then the Fade worked perfectly fine for me. I also have a friend that has been playing with the Innova tournament bag since '09 and he swears by it.

Latest posts