• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

recommended drivers for (forearm players)

I've been playing about 4 years and throw almost entirely FH off the Tee. I can consistently get 350' FH but I've never developed a BH for anything over 175 (Mainly because I don't practice). Discs that I use/recommend are below:

Teebird - First disc I ever purchased and still one of the most consistent
Banshee - Great FH disc that's really underrated - Nice S-Turn (Great for overhand and rollers also)
Firebird - Straight shot with quick finish - Best for threading a small opening.
MAX - Faster Firebird with Crazy Skip at the End. Nothing handles wind better!
XCaliber - Good D and will handle arm speed. Best D on Windy Days!
Destroyer - Best D - Can be a little finicky in the wind but great for long low shots. Champ ones are more stable and handle wind better. Great for long subtle S shots.
Whippet-X - I use these for everything! Approach shots, spike shots or Anny S shots. Throw them low and flat and they'll skip forever. Takes a little work to get used to them but be patient.

I've tried the Boss recently but can't seem to get any consistency out of them.

the boss and force are my 2 faves and i throw entirely forehand except for approach shots / the discraft zone is also good for forehand shorter drives

The Boss, Destroyer, Wraith, are great drivers with the Star FL being a great upshot forehand disc.

so i have played w/ the orc and sidewinder... for the last few weeks... i love the orc and the sidewinder
(orc for distance) (sidewinder midrange)... i just picked up a valkrie based on your opinions above... i'll let you know what i think of it in a few days. once again thanks for the feed back.

ps i love champion plastic
-matt-

Teebird is also a great forehand disc....also disc weights play a huge role in how the disc will fly. If you have friends who throw the same discs, but different weights, see if the will let you try them. for my style I have to throw close to max weight for forehand shots, but I throw in the mid 160s for backhand.

Mid range/approach/basket tosses I love my CFR/Champ Gators, pretty much the only mid I can forehand. I have numerous field aces & one from the tee with Champ Gators. Off the tee or to bend a shot I use Firebirds or Xcalibers. I only use one finger under the plate, haven't had much luck with two fingers yet though I'm hoping to learn that using a Destroyer this summer.

Another vote for the Eagle

I like the way the Eagle settles. I can count on it staying pretty close to where I want it to land. It also works really well as an overhand escape from trouble disc.

I'm kind of old school so I play most courses with nothing but an Eagle, Cobra, and a couple of putters including a Blowfly. I think that's about 35 fewer discs than I might need but it works for me. I'm a forearm thrower as well.

Z

i played w/ a star wraith the other day... it was ok but i couldn't seem to get the distance i was looking for but it flew strait w/out a lot of fade. i also tried a teerex i didn't like that one at all. any more suggestions?
-m-

Funny...I was stoked when I first got my star wraith as it got my distance over 350'. The only drivers I can get farther are the Boss, Force, and 150 Flick. The Boss and Force are pretty much the same disc and a bit overstable, and have to throw them with a lot of power and a 2 o'clock angle for a big S curve. The 150 Flick is the only 150 a can sidearm without flipping. I'm really starting to like the 150 Flick, release it flat and it just cruises straight, put a 2 o'clock angle and it anhyzers. Put a 4 o'clock angle and it hyzers nicely.

for you guys that use Teebirds FH - how hard are you throwing? Are these gentle controlled tosses or 'flicks' or is this reaching far back and giving it all you've got? are Hyzer angles used? Before i understood anything about disc properties flight characteristics. I used to get a great helix out of a 175 teebird - not huge D - but i thought the S curve was great and it was fairly accurate. now Flicks and Xcals are pretty much the only discs i can throw with wreckless abandon that dont turn over- can get high 350-400. Anything with less speed or stability needs to be thrown with more finesse - or a hell of a lot of room for the s curve. I was disappointed with my star and especially dx Destroyers kept turning over. once in a while i'd get some huge d but felt i had to put too much care into the throw to make sure it does not turn over. The X-cal allowed me to throw harder and not worry about turning over so much - the loss of D in glide was marginal. I really like the low/straight line drive flights you can get . When control is key, A forehand "flick" with a slower disc like a Firebird still gets surprising distance.

why would you choose to throw with wreckless abandon over finesse? little confused.

plus, it's all about how you release it, the weight of the disc, the type of plastic etc. the good forehand throwers can throw the teebird or any disc without making it S curve. it just depends on what is in their hand and how they throw it...

i have a champion beast that is my favorite to throw fore hand. and i picked up a monster (from a suggestion that it was good for FH) and i cant throw the darn thing more than 100-150 feet with any accuracy at all. my beast will bring me to the 250 range comfortably. also enjoy the destroyer and katana FH, but they are not as easy to control and need more space to work but get more d.

Last edited:
You don't have to be a big dude or be super strong to throw a long backhand shot. You just need to work on the technique.

This. Personally, I think that throwing FH limits your distance based upon physical characteristics at a shorter distance than BH will. BH distance is much more based on form, while FH has more emphasis on strength. If you're capable of learning both, do it, but if you're a small person, you should definitely learn a BH through.

why would you choose to throw with wreckless abandon over finesse? little confused.

plus, it's all about how you release it, the weight of the disc, the type of plastic etc. the good forehand throwers can throw the teebird or any disc without making it S curve. it just depends on what is in their hand and how they throw it...

There are certainly reasons to step up to a disc that doesn't take a lot of finesse to pull off. Asking that is kind of like asking why you would through an 11x Firebird into a headwind instead of finessing a Valkyrie into the same shot or asking why somebody would throw a Boss for distance instead of learning to bomb a Valkyrie that far. There are several reasons for wanting a disc you can really rip, and typically it has to do with the line you want to hit. I'd love to see a good FH thrower put a Teebird out to 400+ with a window for right to left movement of less than 15 feet. There are much better discs for that type of shot.

This. Personally, I think that throwing FH limits your distance based upon physical characteristics at a shorter distance than BH will. BH distance is much more based on form, while FH has more emphasis on strength. If you're capable of learning both, do it, but if you're a small person, you should definitely learn a BH through.

I'd love to see a good FH thrower put a Teebird out to 400+ with a window for right to left movement of less than 15 feet. There are much better discs for that type of shot.

That's exactly what I said though. It depends on the shot at hand, the person, the disc, etc. etc. That is just one situation where you probably wouldn't use a Teebird. However, depending on the weight, how much it's broke in, the type of plastic....the right golfer might use a teebird in that situation. Depends. With regards to finesse vs. going all out, I meant if you had the option to do both, why would you choose to go all out? Because I think with golf (disc and ball), when you swing or throw as hard as you absolutely can, you tend to lose some control.

And with regards to FH vs. BH. Complete disagree. I think strength is much more important with BH. Yes, form is important with all types of throws. But for the FH throw, it's more about your technique, grip and flick. There is much more muscle involved in the BH throw (plus a heck of a lot of technique).

Last edited:
That's exactly what I said though. It depends on the shot at hand, the person, the disc, etc. etc. That is just one situation where you probably wouldn't use a Teebird. However, depending on the weight, how much it's broke in, the type of plastic....the right golfer might use a teebird in that situation. Depends. With regards to finesse vs. going all out, I meant if you had the option to do both, why would you choose to go all out? Because I think with golf (disc and ball), when you swing or throw as hard as you absolutely can, you tend to lose some control.

Ah yes, I see what you meant. I just misinterpreted your post. I agree, its usually pretty pointless to rip one as hard as you can, regardless of what disc is in your hand.

i am 2 inches taller than you. i can throw 280ish with an effortless sidearm flick. and my back hands exceed 370 when I push it. Ive cranked over 500 for my longest shot to date (with a sweet tailwind) haha. I had problems doing backhand shots for a while then i switched for forehand, then i had trouble with that so i switched back to backhand i bought overstable discs that were out of my league so i started learning overhand shots. Now i use a fair amount of all of them each round and get consistent results. Im pretty sure you got some vacant football fields to attend man. practice more!!!!!!!! good luck son

Latest posts