• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Refusing to Be Filmed

Yeah I agree with that. It's certainly not made me think very well of him compared to if he just played his game.

Just with not that much money in the sport I don't see what sponsors gain out of helping players tour who do nothing for them other than have their list near the top of a chart on the PDGA website after a tournament rather than get more eyes on their products through their play.

I met JohnE and Jen when they were in town for 2014 Worlds. We played a practice round at Milo and shared a meal, we talked about disc golf, travel, and a number of other topics. They were great company, easy to talk to, and never pushed their religious beliefs (I assume they would happily discuss those if asked).

At the time, JohnE and MJ were running neck and neck for the nicest guys in disc golf.

Then came the Memorial and Ledgestone. The ensuing discussions regarding McCray's behavior prompted a few people to recount earlier dicey antics, and soon Nate Sexton rose to become MJ's competitor for NOAT, while JohnE's widely considered a hothead.

But, back on topic, I wonder when McCray asked not to be filmed: before the round, or after some incident.

But, back on topic, I wonder when McCray asked not to be filmed: before the round, or after some incident.

From the YT description:

2018 Final Round coverage of the lead card on the front nine. JohnE McCray, Nick Wood, Joel Freeman and Eric Oakley tackle the windy and cold conditions in search for victory. NOTE: JohnE McCray's footage was edited out per request after requesting him not t be filmed part way into the round.

So McCray was filmed, but ... huh?

Were "antics" involved?
Which is why I went to look up the scores...;)

From the Youtube description, it appeared to be be during the round at some point, and this is from his Facebook page, "The distractions on the course yesterday were a bit frustrating. It's my personal choice, as a player, to request the distractions to stop."

Classic DGCR.

Whole lotta discussion about a topic that doesn't interest me so I am going to take time to post in the thread about other people wasting their time posting in the thread.

:p:D;)

Seriously though, why is this any different than what most people talk/post about the majority of the time in pretty much all aspects of life?...

Last edited:
I met JohnE and Jen when they were in town for 2014 Worlds. We played a practice round at Milo and shared a meal, we talked about disc golf, travel, and a number of other topics. They were great company, easy to talk to, and never pushed their religious beliefs (I assume they would happily discuss those if asked).

Yeah it's tricky when all you see is what's on film from rounds...and the other aspect is nearly all of us play for a good time when and when we choose vs. play in high stress situations continually for your paycheck.

For example Jerm is hilarious in commentary and seems to love goofing around and make people smile. But sometimes in rounds he'll get in his own head and you can see it drag him down into worse play and become frustrated. If that's all I saw of him and didn't see the commentary aspect and the sidebars of him messing around I'd probably think of him differently because that's the only exposure I would have. Instead he's found ways to market his own personality and his name in disc golf and I'm sure it's working out better for him and Innova, rather than just being a stat in tourney lists.

Last edited:
I watch John e because he's 80yrs old and beats people half to 1/3rd his age on a consistent basis.

I could care a less about the snippets of "heat of the moment" video that make people rush to judgement so quickly without knowing both sides of the story.

....now put the pitchforks away and get off my lawn.

From the Youtube description, it appeared to be be during the round at some point, and this is from his Facebook page, "The distractions on the course yesterday were a bit frustrating. It's my personal choice, as a player, to request the distractions to stop."

So, according to McCray, the camera person(s) was a distraction? Wonder what this camera person was doing that was different than other crews (Smashboxx, Jomez, CCDG, McFly, etc) that haven't warranted being asked to stop filming? Also wonder why none of the other players were distracted by it too? Why wasn't the camera person asked to stop whatever the distracting behavior was? Distracting behavior should be easily correctable.

Or was the "distraction" simply the act of being filmed? If so, that's incredibly lame. And not something any player has the authority to stop in a PDGA tournament if the camera person is there with TD/PDGA permission (as apparently this one was). McCray would be out of line to prevent his round from being filmed along with the rest of the group.

So, according to McCray, the camera person(s) was a distraction? Wonder what this camera person was doing that was different than other crews (Smashboxx, Jomez, CCDG, McFly, etc) that haven't warranted being asked to stop filming? Also wonder why none of the other players were distracted by it too? Why wasn't the camera person asked to stop whatever the distracting behavior was? Distracting behavior should be easily correctable.

Or was the "distraction" simply the act of being filmed? If so, that's incredibly lame. And not something any player has the authority to stop in a PDGA tournament if the camera person is there with TD/PDGA permission (as apparently this one was). McCray would be out of line to prevent his round from being filmed along with the rest of the group.

Picture of said camera person:

iu

As I understand it, JohnE was upset by other (non-stated) distractions. Videographer said JohnE never blamed him. Again, I think this is a gray area situation: Spur of the moment filming, non-paid videographer, not one of the usual crews. I doubt we see it again in the future, but we'll work on integrating something into the media plan going forward.

... the use of devices to photograph things that would otherwise be out of view is not always protected by the first amendment (think long lenses or drones for peeping Tom purposes).

Maybe use of a drone is not protected, but a telephoto lens, in and of itself, is most certainly protected. Just like guns.

As I understand it, JohnE was upset by other (non-stated) distractions. Videographer said JohnE never blamed him. Again, I think this is a gray area situation: Spur of the moment filming, non-paid videographer, not one of the usual crews. I doubt we see it again in the future, but we'll work on integrating something into the media plan going forward.

Just to clarify, we won't see non-paid videographers or refusals to be filmed?

Maybe use of a drone is not protected, but a telephoto lens, in and of itself, is most certainly protected. Just like guns.

That must be Amendment 2-1/2 - "The right to keep and bear telephoto lenses shall not be infringed?"

Just to clarify, we won't see non-paid videographers or refusals to be filmed?

On public grounds, good luck with stopping non paid videographers. I really hope TD's don't think we're at "that stage" where we can be picky with media exposure.