• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Refusing to Be Filmed

Well, we have gotten thru 140ish posts and none of the guys who were stuck behind him at Turtlecreek have chimed in yet...:popcorn:

Can you recap that story for those of us who missed it?

A keyframe is just a chronological marker marking the beginning or ending of a Δ in an effect.

It's still a series of images taken in rapid succession. It's not the camera, it's our eyes and brain that are the weak link and cause us to see movement.

Most digital video is encoded using lossy compression, per Wikipedia:

In video compression, a keyframe, also known as an "intra-frame", is a frame in which a complete image is stored in the data stream. In video compression, only changes that occur from one frame to the next are stored in the data stream, in order to greatly reduce the amount of information that must be stored. This technique capitalizes on the fact that most video sources (such as a typical movie) have only small changes in the image from one frame to the next. Whenever a drastic change to the image occurs, such as when switching from one camera shot to another, or at a scene change,[1] a keyframe must be created.

While I agree with the mob on the idea the filming/not filming stuff I would like to point out my one experience with John E.

In 2001 at Worlds in Ann Arbor I was playing in a group with one of McCray's homies from Clearwater. Our group was MUCH closer to the bottom of the field than the top and so in a different pool from John. We were playing the Monster Course at Hudson Mills and a rainstorm came up which I was unprepared for. About half way through our round John E (who I had never met in my life) came out to see how his buddy was doing and at that point proceeded to hold his umbrella over my unprepared for rain self for the remainder of the storm which had to be at least a half dozen holes of golf and an hour plus. Kindness to strangers.

I have feelings about this. I'd like to share how I feel. They pertain more to the actor.

Knowing JE was playing and not included in the footage made the video feel disjointed, IMO. Nuance... but still enough to make me raise an eyebrow.

I believe this to be rather selfish on JEs part. After learning about his petty actions counting up to 30 when McB needed to tee off (but had to probably use the restroom quick?) a few years ago, all because someone did it to him eons ago, I've had a sour taste in my mouth about him. Couple that with this... the result leads me to consider him a poor ambassador for our growing sport. I admit, these are only two instances I am judging JE on, which is not enough to create a deviation, but it's enough for me to think poorly of him.

The argument he wanted to 'get rid of unwanted distractions' is a poor one. The guys were there filming the other 3 players... distractions happen, and these media driven distractions are becoming more popular. If you want to avoid that, go build a course on your own private land and don't participate in events.

Thank you for letting me share my feelings. Cheers.

I agree with you...if you are playing in the PDGA and getting sponsored, then this is all part of it.. They are all getting the same distraction so the playing field is level. The video did seem disjointed. If they / He wants the winnings to go up each year, and to get more media attention, then you need to be seen. How can we look up to him as a pro, and want to use the discs he uses, if we can't even watch him play? As an older player, I respected the ground he holds with these tournaments and it inspires me to play better at 50yo.. But When he acts like this, I will avoid mentioning him anymore, and have lost respect. Grow up...there are good days and bad days for all of the players. It helps others know that the pros have their days too. I thought I was a bad player until I started watching the pros and seeing they have off throws too! I keeps you playing knowing there is no perfection. If he doens't want to be on video...then don't play video'd events!

While I agree with the mob on the idea the filming/not filming stuff I would like to point out my one experience with John E.

In 2001 at Worlds in Ann Arbor I was playing in a group with one of McCray's homies from Clearwater. Our group was MUCH closer to the bottom of the field than the top and so in a different pool from John. We were playing the Monster Course at Hudson Mills and a rainstorm came up which I was unprepared for. About half way through our round John E (who I had never met in my life) came out to see how his buddy was doing and at that point proceeded to hold his umbrella over my unprepared for rain self for the remainder of the storm which had to be at least a half dozen holes of golf and an hour plus. Kindness to strangers.

Do you mean that he might not be simply a monster who should be hated like so many people in this thread seem to suggest?

Bandwagon sniping, people. It's cheap and beneath you.

Someone on JohnE's facebook page asked the question why he didn't want to be filmed.. Here was his answer: "The distractions on the course yesterday were a bit frustrating. It's my personal choice, as a player, to request the distractions to stop."

That's bull****. Go home and play with your friends if you don't want pressure! We are here to see heroics and blowups alike, stop denying your enablers the commercial or even entertainment value in your implosion because you're too emotionally fragile to deal with it like a big boy.

That came out meaner than it had to but I can't think of a less bull****ty way to lay out my issue with that.

Why is everyone so interested to see a pro play a bad round (for him... I'd take it)? I don't watch tourney videos to see people play under their ability. I can go watch the mobs at ZBoaz if that's what I want. Join 'em an pop the top on a few too. I'm not a guy to judge people I know very little about. Everything is done for a reason. I'm sure JohnE has his. I watched the video in question and didn't really miss him at all. He wasn't the "mover" on the card. That's the guy I wanted to see and he was there. I'm trying to learn from what I see. I practice making putts. I like to watch videos of people playing a lot better than me. It pains me to watch a talented player have a bad hole/round. I didn't need to see it. I don't really know why it's such a big deal. I also take pictures and video. Sometimes I just video a hole for fun. I usually edit out / delete the poor shots. I don't need to see them again and I doubt the player in question wants to show them to their friends. Point is... this is between JohnE and the cameraman. We really need to file this under "None of my business" and move on. That's my 2 cents.

This doesn't surprise me at all about John. The one time I met him he was pretty personable and friendly. I think I can say this about just about every player I've ever met...off the course. I think we all know or have played with people you enjoy hanging out in the parking lot with before or between rounds but pray you don't get grouped with during a round.

Why is everyone so interested to see a pro play a bad round (for him... I'd take it)?

I don't think it's about seeing a player have a bad round so much as wanting to see the complete story when watching a tournament round. While it's great to see the guy who played the hot round to see how he made up ground, it's an incomplete story if you don't see what the guy he caught/passed was doing that allowed him to catch up.

I don't think it's about seeing a player have a bad round so much as wanting to see the complete story when watching a tournament round. While it's great to see the guy who played the hot round to see how he made up ground, it's an incomplete story if you don't see what the guy he caught/passed was doing that allowed him to catch up.

I grew up in the days when broadcasters would tell a story of greatness 90% of the time and "the agony of defeat" 10% of the time. The missed opportunities were only told when they were relevant to the story of victory. There's an art to story telling. It's a lost art.

If the art of editing was done... these 30-35 minute videos of half rounds would be between 10-12 minutes long and a lot more interesting.

I grew up in the days when broadcasters would tell a story of greatness 90% of the time and "the agony of defeat" 10% of the time. The missed opportunities were only told when they were relevant to the story of victory. There's an art to story telling. It's a lost art.

Guess it comes down to whether you're watching these videos as a highlight package of the tournament, Sportscenter style, or a condensed replay of the full round as it happened.

But even if it is a highlight package, it ought to still tell the story of the "thrill of victory" with some "agony of defeat" mixed in. Maybe not a 90/10 ratio, but certainly not 100/0 like this video did by excluding McCray.

Showing JohnE's greatness and heartbreak certainly would have made the video a lot better. Producer's option...

Why is everyone so interested to see a pro play a bad round (for him... I'd take it)? I don't watch tourney videos to see people play under their ability. I can go watch the mobs at ZBoaz if that's what I want. Join 'em an pop the top on a few too. I'm not a guy to judge people I know very little about. Everything is done for a reason. I'm sure JohnE has his. I watched the video in question and didn't really miss him at all. He wasn't the "mover" on the card. That's the guy I wanted to see and he was there. I'm trying to learn from what I see. I practice making putts. I like to watch videos of people playing a lot better than me. It pains me to watch a talented player have a bad hole/round. I didn't need to see it. I don't really know why it's such a big deal. I also take pictures and video. Sometimes I just video a hole for fun. I usually edit out / delete the poor shots. I don't need to see them again and I doubt the player in question wants to show them to their friends. Point is... this is between JohnE and the cameraman. We really need to file this under "None of my business" and move on. That's my 2 cents.
I'd personally would rather watch Nikko have a bad round just for his putter removal antics than watch like 75% of players have good rounds. There's only so much drama from watching KJ Nybo make circle's edge putts routinely.

Latest posts