• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Regular ole discs

podunk pete

Banned
Is there anyone out there that just throws regular ole discs? There is so much hype about the different discs (i.e. 10x, 11x, gummy) that it seems like some people think that a "special" run of disc will make them throw better. I understand that ceartin runs are more/less stable, etc, and on this site I have learned a ton of info about the various runs, plh, various durablities, and so forth, but I have really only thrown regular ole discs. I am competitive when I play with those that throw the "special" discs, have done fairly well in tourny's, but I'm at that point where I want to buy some new plastic, and I just don't know that I want to go down the road of needing to have the "special" discs. Just curious what others think........is an opaque gummy aviar going to make more putts than a regular dx aviar from Dicks Sporting Goods? In my limited experience the answer is no...

In my limited experience the answer is no...

If you get used to the feel and whatever of the "special" discs and then you loose 1, there not as easily replaced. I only started the beginning of the summer and am doing just fine with discs I get from the store or trade for on here. I wouldn't say DX everything, I do like to use Z, champion, star and esp plastic. An old wise man once said "Its not the arrow, Its the Indian"...or something like that.

I just buy what's on the shelf.

*edit*

I am particular about the Pro Rhynos I buy...fortunately my local shop has the right kind.

I try not to make them part of my bag but there are certain discs, like the ESP comet, that I don't want to do without. Some of the discs people drool over now are just the regular discs that were around when they started. For me, this shows in my putter selection of challengers.

Since I picked up the sport again in the early part of the decade I've come to appreciate Champ, Pro, and R-Pro plastics - especially in the driver department. Pro is my overall favorite for it's glide and slightly stronger properties than DX. I'm not too nuts about Star but I have a couple.

That said I still use DX Aviars for putting. I've got a couple DX Sharks that have been great. My Buzzz is Pro D which I think is basically the same as DX. My Polecat is magic. I love all these discs.

Nothing wrong with regular 'ole discs. Try something in Pro if you're into Innova, it's good stuff. A good Champion Plastic driver should last you a good long time too.

Last edited:
I use regular ol' discs. Any special or fancy runs I have were regular ol' discs when I bought them.
People comment about my old Cyclones, but when I bought them they were regular old Cyclones. I bought a bunch so I still have some to throw. When they are gone, they are gone.

My bag is full of regular ole discs. I've (somewhat) limited the molds of discs I throw and like having a backup or two of everything so expensive and hard to find discs are not for me.

I almost explicitly don't throw anything CE or rare, I must have zen-like focus when I throw my discs and I don't have that if I'm worried about losing them.

That being said, I only throw swirly, 10x, holographic stamped CFR polecats.

People comment about my old Cyclones, but when I bought them they were regular old Cyclones. I bought a bunch so I still have some to throw. When they are gone, they are gone.

Look me up if you run out, I have some old Cyclones that I'll likely never get back around to, some with a nice Dela club stamp.

.is an opaque gummy aviar going to make more putts than a regular dx aviar from Dicks Sporting Goods? In my limited experience the answer is no...

Is your experience actually based on a comparison of your own gameplay of a DX versus a gummy Champion Aviar?

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss and I would say if you're content with something then just stick with that and save yourself some money.

Oh... and sell me your unloved gummy Aviars.

The only thing in my bag that is hard to find is a dx Condor. I only have one atm so I only throw it when I can see it land. Everything else in my bag is currently in production and easy to find.

If a person is little flexible, there is generally an acceptable substitute for nearly any given mold. If you can't throw the disc you love, love the one you throw.

I have a lot of old plastic 10x and 11x Teebird, Ce Leopard, Champ Classic Roc, 1st run Gator and Augusta Wraith. The reason for me is that this plastic feels better in my hands. I have a bunch of backups for each one so I don't really have a problem with worrying about losing stuff. Even though I don't throw this stuff near water except my classic roc that I throw over the water. It is an easy hole.

I throw all regular discs I believe with the exception of an 11x Flat Firebird, and 11x Teebird. I just got back this summer into seriously playing after a 3 year hiatus, but I love my stock Star Wraiths and Destroyers, and TeeRexes

Latest posts