• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Relatively New

I have an Anode I got used. I thought I'd love it, but it really doesn't thrill me. I think it's something about the roll of the lip where the two plastics come together. It makes my grip feel really insecure. It's too rounded over. I don't know if that makes sense.

I like the stats on the Tangent, and might try one if it shows up in the used disc bin in our local shop.

Welcome to Disc Golf. Many of us did not start until later in life. Luckily, disc golf is a lifetime sport. Glad that you are having fun. Disc Golf is an excellent way to keep in shape. Sounds like you are fully hooked. 300 sounds like a great goal. Enjoy!:hfive:

48 yo female here, just started up FG again in July after a 15 year break. Back in the day it was a one disk game for us and we played very casual. I am already leaps and bounds better than back then.

I've discovered the most wonderful tool. UDisc phone app has a Measure Throw tool. I first measured our soccer fields where we do our field work. 305 or so. Then I threw my disks, longest was 244 ft. I liked confirming that:) I liked that so well I bought a version of it (non cloud). I entered my discs in it and then went and threw again, logging my good throws with the disc I used. I want to learn and remember what each disc does for me so I can better plan my strategy like you have been doing. Right now I just use three discs: driver (Diamond or Jade), Approach (Yeti Pro Aviar) and Putter (Warden). I practice with many more, but don't have good control on them yet.

I've used the x step from back 15 years ago so it feels pretty natural to me, but my aim is pretty poor. I am left handed and I lost my left eye as a teenager. I am finding that not having good left side visibility is limiting my accuracy.

forehand doesnt feel good to me, but I can see better so believe I will start working harder at it. I have a fused lumbar and scooping down that low makes my lower back hurt.

It is NOT easy to get good at a sport with all these silly limitations!

We don't have wind in my area often enough for me to have to deal with it. I believe the wind and water has really improved your aim!

Try that UDisc app to measure your throws, you might be surprised!

Thanks for the app recommendation! :thmbup:

I'll give it a try.

I turn my head away from my target when I drive, so kind of go on a mental picture, but I'm sure having no sight in the eye corresponding to your dominant hand is a pain.

Other than being a good deal overweight, I'm actually in good shape, i think.

I played softball in a very easy-going league in my early 20s, and think that helped a good bit with my ability to throw forehand now. It feels pretty natural.

I went out to practice my X step the other day, out for about an hour. It feels like the timing of the various bits are all in sync, but I can't throw without some hyzer creeping into my shots. Even when I try to throw anhyzer, it just goes straight. That doesn't happen with my stand-still throws. Very frustrating.

I'm apparently suffering from the 'want all the discs' stage. I have like 12 in the bag at the moment, and new ones in try-out stage.

RFF Wizard putter: for within 20', or for approaches when i want it to STOP when it lands.
Star Dart: for glidey approach within about 100'
Opto Ruby: trying out for short anhyzer shots
Beat-up DX Roc: for very touchy approaches or if I need a disc I don't care about losing.
Champion Mako3: dead straight mid (will also hold an anhyzer line at pretty low speed)
Lucid Truth: Slightly overstable mid
Champion Roc3: overstable mid, predictable strong fade at the end.
Champion Leopard: Understable Fairway, throws a great flex shot.
Lucid Witness: Slightly understable Fairway. Mostly a backup to the Leopard.
Cryztal Stalker: Dead straight Fairway
S-Line FD: Dead straight Fairway, in competition with the Stalker. Eventually I'll pick just one.
Lucid Thief: Overstable Fairway.
GStar Destroyer: When I absolutely, positively MUST hook at the end of the throw.

We're thinking about doing a little C-Tier tournament this weekend, which will use the long tee positions on our home course. That will bring water hazards into play a LOT more (throwing over water 4 times more per round). We went out and scoured our Play It Again Sports used bin for discs we could use across the hazards without feeling too bad about losing. I got a Star Foxbat, and my hubby got a Evolution Blaze. What we PROBABLY should have done was just get DX Dragons, available there new for just a couple bucks more than used discs.

I found an unmarked DX Roc in very good condition a week or so ago, and have an old beat-up Buzzz we'll also be using.

I think at this point, I'm just rambling... :D

Zineth, I just picked up the UDisk ap, and will let you know what i think of it when I've had some time to play around with it.

When i say 'don't care about losing', I mean 'spent $4 for it in a used disc bin and have 2 DX Rocs to replace it, one I found free in a bush'.

It's still a nice disc.

So... weird development...

I've been getting more comfortable with my forehand shot.

And I'm pretty sure now that I have longer range with it than with my backhand.

Is that normal?

FH is easier to learn quickly. A lot of newbies that commit to learning it will see this happening. As you continue to work on your form, FH and BH, the BH will usually pass it again.

Welcome to DG! My wife & I picked it up later in life as well & it has gone as far as us having a 6 hole course on our 3 acres with more holes to come as we purchase more baskets. Here is a picture of a disc with a Ron Convers jr Diagram of how & what to throw in the wind. The diagram is for RHBH but I throw LHBH & just read it backwards for the cross-wind theories. Hopefully you can zoom in on it well enough to read it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1472018739321.jpg
    FB_IMG_1472018739321.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 14
Ford, that's a nice stamp. I looked up the graphic on DD's site. I'm pretty good at understanding what a disc will do in the wind, but I think my hubby would get some use out of a disc with that stamp.

I mentioned back on the previous page a couple discs I was trying out. The Opto Ruby ended up rolling anhyzer if you sneeze at it. Absolutely too touchy for me. The Stalker got pulled from the bag and the FD has the stable fairway driver slot... and is working great in that role. The Dart has been replaced with a Star Foxbat, which is the disc with the best glide i've ever seen, handles higher speed than the Dart, and is an incredible tailwind disc.

I lost my GStar Destroyer. Well... didn't 'lose' it. I know where it is... 45 feet up in a tree on my local course. So it's??? MIA?

In any case, I got a F2 stamped Champion Destroyer yesterday to replace it. I'm hoping it flies similar enough to the GStar one to replace it successfully. I fear it might be way more overstable, since the GStar one had a nice mellow but consistent fade. We'll see.

The gstar stuff has been more overstable than other plastics for me. Try a baseball/softball next time you return to the course. Carrying a baseball in my bag has saved a lot of discs.

We carry a softball. It doesn't work. I hit it three times. Then, I picked up a 6 foot long branch, long and straight, and threw THAT at it, like a javelin, and IT got stuck up with the Destroyer.

THEN I tied a piece of branch to a long piece of paracord, and after about 20 throws, it got stuck in a lower branch.

Seriously.

:doh:

I climb trees and retrieve discs for people, all the time. Usually find at least one more unseen disc on the way up, or back down.

Not all trees are climbable, but very few aren't, if you're practiced at it.

Well... the point is now moot. I just went over to the park again and the disc is gone, but the paracord remained. Luckily, i was able to get the paracord out of the tree.

So... (sigh).

A moment of silence, please, for lost gold mellow-fade destroyer... we shall never see it's like again... unless we do.

Latest posts