• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Removing sharpie from a disc.

Goof Off or Brake Clean work very well - Home Depot / Hardware store <$5

How much you can get off is largely dependent on the kind of marker and the kind of plastic.

forgot to add that in my post :p Star is basically impossible to get it off. but Champion people are right about it can be taken off. Goes back to how much the marker is able to seep into the plastic. Champion is slick and hard, less "pores" or as we call it "grip". The grippier the plastic, the harder it is to remove.

i have a friend that uses mr. clean magic erasers to get the stamps of of discs so he can design them himself maybe it works well for sharpi too

You know I sat there and looked at a can of brake clean but was scared that it might hurt it.

You just need to remember that after using any sort of solvent on your discs - to wash them well in warm soapy water to remove as much residue as possible.

Damage to discs from solvents take a long time to manifest into something you can see - then all of a sudden your disc is broken for seemingly no good reason.

lol all I know is I have played a couple courses in the rain the mud was able to strip both the stamp and the sharpie underneath so you just need to find the right mud spot. Reedy Creek in Charlotte stripped alot of my stuff.

My friend has a discraft banger gt, the base plastic, D I guess. Its really flimsy and the super permanent marker is already wearing off. He's had it a few weeks. Also I noticed when I was using baby oil to get the sticky stuff off the back of some of my DX that the marker was rubbing off. Didn't try it to see if it would come all the way off, but it might work.

You ain't getting it off star...I just learned that!!

Its not hard to get off champion plastic but I just tried to remove a name from a disc I found (in the mailbox) and no dice...the dry erase on top actually was harder to erase than normal dry erase.

I think it becomes a part of star plastic but only sits on top of champ.

whose mailbox you looking in?

This is how I took care of the Sharpie. Traded a buddy who had traded someone else for this disc. Name was big on the inside, I couldn't get it all off but you can't see it now.

Attachments

• HPIM8239.jpg
    HPIM8239.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 177
Can't speak for pro plastic. I've never budged one off of star, champ I can get it to fade, but there's always a ghost of what I wrote. DX always comes right off. I use goof off, and yes you need to wash it with warm water after or it will damage the disc down the road.

Oh...just remembered. I tried taking the stamp off a pro pig with goof off once and it took the plastic off the front with it. Sad sad day...I had only thrown it twice and it was ruined.

Goo Gone works wonders, I was taking off some adhesive from the store tags on my new discs (after I had written my name on them) I soon found out I needed to clean the adhesive off then write my name them. It works well on old sharpie too, after I found it worked I cleaned my old discs off and rewrote my name so it would be darker again. Just spray on, let it sit for a bit and wipe off, that easy. Sorry I can quote a price, it was my fiancé's stuff.

to me, kinda weird wanting to add chemicals to a disc...might eat the plastic?...i just keep thinking about scum that erase names and numbers and resell the disc...why cant you simply write over the other name?...

to me, kinda weird wanting to add chemicals to a disc...might eat the plastic?...i just keep thinking about scum that erase names and numbers and resell the disc...why cant you simply write over the other name?...

I usually box it out in sharpie and then put the discs stats over it. For example for innova I wouldl write the box with the stats such as spped, turn, fade, glide. I was just wondering because sometimes I would prefer to remove the name if there is something that works. Also to get rid of sharpie when just doing really simple dyes. Trust me I don't think a scum that sells discs they steal would be as obsessed with disc golf and dgcourse review as I am. I still like you am very cautious though about putting a chemical on discs because I am afraid it could ruin them. Which is why it was perfect for me to ask here to people who hhave had experience using the different solutions and chemicals.

I usually box it out in sharpie and then put the discs stats over it. For example for innova I wouldl write the box with the stats such as spped, turn, fade, glide. I was just wondering because sometimes I would prefer to remove the name if there is something that works. Also to get rid of sharpie when just doing really simple dyes. Trust me I don't think a scum that sells discs they steal would be as obsessed with disc golf and dgcourse review as I am. I still like you am very cautious though about putting a chemical on discs because I am afraid it could ruin them. Which is why it was perfect for me to ask here to people who hhave had experience using the different solutions and chemicals.

Did you and wareagle go to the same typing school?