• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Renaissance Park

In the beginning,,,,,,,,,, Alan Beaver named the first rendition Renaissance Pro Players Course, RPPC. I chose to revive that name and retire the Grey/Black nomenclature. As Huey stated, the maintenance on some of the holes was beyond reasonable. It required mowing on hillsides that were often slippery and treacherous and often leached stuff from the landfill beneath. It was way past time to retire those holes. Also, some of them created backups during tournament play. Bill Jacobson and I have tried to identify the problem holes and then to create holes that will not cause 2-4 group backups. GOLD is still there. It will remain there. Gold players will have to learn to share with others.

However, at the Nest, I do not intend to have an overbuild anymore. The new Nest, especially on the back 9 will look more like Web. There will be a few holes that will have optional tee pads but basically when Nest reopens it will be a par 29 front and a par 34 back,,, Par 63 layout. Those who want to use old Web pads on the front can play a par 33 layout on the front to have a Par 67 experience.

I am still cutting on the back 9 at the Nest. The gas company still has the greenway torn up with no end in sight. No ETA for the grand reopening.

New signage for Renny courses will be installed soon thanks to the upcoming Tim Selinske U.S. Masters. Confusion will remain in spite of the signs for those without maps.

Go check out the new City Lake in Albemarle, YAY Bryan and Pat.

Stanimal: On behalf of everyone who's ever played a course you've helped build, design or coach along; we thank you! Although I can try, I still can't fully grasp how much blood, sweat and tears have been put into our courses. Renny alone is one of the most ridiculous investments of effort and time I could imagine. You da man! And a sincere thanks to the un-named mob of others who have helped along the way.

As Huey knows, Stan and I were ready to start designing and building a shorter Nevin--totally separate--which would be a par 54 easier course (still challenging for the intermediate level players). Thought it was a go last December but seems to still being tied up in red tape.

Yes that would have been a fun course inside of the road, basically where the long is outside and it didnt seem they would overlap at all, just be 2 rings with a central parking lot. Maybe we can get that back someday.

Updates to the Renaissance baskets for better navigation. I will be tearing out the old next tee signs and putting up new.

Red- Renske (these are all in place)
White - Pro Players Course
Gold - Gold

Shared baskets will have alternating colors like shown.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 12033075_384053908470828_8901145468494784810_n.jpg
    12033075_384053908470828_8901145468494784810_n.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 244
You;re a rocka roller 1978!

Yourself, Stan and a few others, sorry I'm not throwing all the names out there; are outstanding examples to be followed!*

Thanks! But stans the man. Josh Tolley took on signage. I'm just the messenger. It's easy to paint some white and gold signs and nail them up. :)

You can also print graphics on these wraps. Great for tournaments and sponsorships. Ask for Josh at That's a Wrap Installations, google them.

Last edited:
Is Gold for the average player?

And is it marked well enough for someone that hasn't played there yet. I want to check it out but with the changes, I've been apprehensive.

And is it marked well enough for someone that hasn't played there yet. I want to check it out but with the changes, I've been apprehensive.

What is an average player? Its a beat down for intermediates with a 900-930 PDGA rating. Also available are a shorter version (Pro Players Course, white baskets); even shorter par 54 version (Renske Course, entrance by the athletic fields entrance).

It's still fun, but be prepared to pick up lots of strokes. I heard that statistically Renny gold is one of the toughest courses out there- more pros pick up strokes there than any other course. that information may be outdated now though. Use the course map and you will be fine. I'm pretty sure with that and the signage, you won't get lost.

I would say play the Pro Players Course (White Baskets) first and you'll get a feel of some of the easer holes on Gold that way. It is a very hard course with a couple of 900ft holes and some really mean shots. The Pro Players course is better suited to get a feel of the park and what will be asked of you on the Gold course.

As for the signage it is marked pretty well I would say you should be able to get around without to much of a problem. Just look for the sighs that say gold or gray (gray is the name the PPC use to be before it was re done for the 2015 Masters) for the next tee and follow the trails as they are pretty warn in.

As for the signage it is marked pretty well I would say you should be able to get around without to much of a problem. Just look for the sighs that say gold or gray (gray is the name the PPC use to be before it was re done for the 2015 Masters) for the next tee and follow the trails as they are pretty warn in.

Grey is not PPC. That is the extinct grey course. PPC has at least 6 changes. New signage will be up in November to replace the grey signage, that signage will be white. Gold is Unchanged.

There are 3 separate course listings Gold - gold baskets, PPC - White baskets, Renske - Red Baskets. The Gold AND Renske signage is pentiful and accurate. Teesigns at all tees. The PPC is a work in progress, but if you must review it, review the correct course. All the courses will get updated maps and pictures by November.

What is an average player? Its a beat down for intermediates with a 900-930 PDGA rating. Also available are a shorter version (Pro Players Course, white baskets); even shorter par 54 version (Renske Course, entrance by the athletic fields entrance).
I see my mistake. I was thinking the Pro Players Course was the more difficult one due to it saying 'Pro'. :wall:

Sounds like then I should start with the Renske, then the PPC, and then Gold for a big score! :gross:

Until November. the PPC will be challenging to follow. After that a breeze once I install signage.

Updates to the Renaissance baskets for better navigation. I will be tearing out the old next tee signs and putting up new.

Red- Renske (these are all in place)
White - Pro Players Course
Gold - Gold

Shared baskets will have alternating colors like shown.

attachment.php

That's one heck of a cigarette lighter.

Use the course map and you will be fine. I'm pretty sure with that and the signage, you won't get lost.

I don't think locals who know and love the course realize just how confusing and badly sign-aged Renaissance is. I played the Selinske Masters where I only had to follow the group in front of me and still found the signs inconsistent at best. (Example: two identical signs next to hole 7 with identical maps, one indicating hole 7, one indicating hole 8. Example 2: there is a sign nailed to a tree next to hole 12's basket point to hole 15, which seems odd. But if you follow it, you get to gray hole 13, which is also a different # Gold tee. If you go the wrong way, you wind up on a Renske hole not even on the course. Example 3: the gray course is marked by blue paint on the teepads.)

I could navigate it now having played it a few times. But for the first-time player trying to get to know the course, the overlapping Gray/Gold is just not clear. This doesn't change the fact that the course is top-notch and a blast to play. I'll play any chance I get if I'm ever in the area again. But the signage really does make the first time or two less fun when you find yourself wondering where the next hole is. I think they have to make some clear choices what they want the course to be going forward and stick with it. You can't please everyone and trying to do so can make it worse. Trying to keep the course adaptable to three different "interpretations" just seems untenable. Yes, the course has to adapt to the times and players and land. But if you have a course trying to be ready to do three different things, then the signage needs to be incredibly precise. Unless it's changed in the last two months since the Selinske, I think the signage needs some serious upgrade both at the tee and throughout the holes.

Still a great course. Signage doesn't change that. But in my experience as someone who didn't know the course well, it was not easy to navigate, which took a little bit away from the experience.

Last edited: