• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Replacement for Valk as distance driver?

Everyone else has already said it: Fresh Valk.

If you wanted to try something new though? My GL Striker flies similarly to a Valk, but is a bit more stable. The numbers are identical to a Saint except for the glide, but mine flies absolutely nothing like a Saint.

I would definitely recommend a fresh Champ Valk, one of my favorite discs of all time. Super dependable turn:fade ratio, with a nicely grippable rim, not too fast.. there is a litany of reasons why the Valk is totally B.A.

Other options to consider:
*Archon for a very similar, but slightly faster disc. Rim isn't very wide for an 11 speed.
*Krait is basically an archon with -1 HST, instead of -2.
*Viking is an extremely underrated disc in my opinion. Surprisingly versatile for its flight #'s, can get it to turn and hold, turn and come back, fly straight with minimal fade.. really its a damn fine disc.

There are many many more options out there as well, these are just some that I have good experience with.. kinda odd that they were all Innova drivers too :)

Having said all that, I still recommend a fresh champ valk lol.

Other options to consider:
*Archon for a very similar, but slightly faster disc. Rim isn't very wide for an 11 speed.
*Krait is basically an archon with -1 HST, instead of -2.
*Viking is an extremely underrated disc in my opinion. Surprisingly versatile for its flight #'s, can get it to turn and hold, turn and come back, fly straight with minimal fade.. really its a damn fine disc.

I throw a 172g Champ Viking and my friend throws a 170g Star Valk. We've both thrown the Archon and that thing is a MEAT HOOK for both of us.

Totally agree with the Viking comment. I started out throwing Valkyries and on a lark picked up a DX Viking one day and never looked back. Great disc.

x10 on new valk, except go CE Valk. You won't be sorry you spent the money! Trust me!:thmbup:

Escape looks a little closer to a Viking than a Valkyrie. Especially when it come to turn.

That being said, the Valk and the Viking are pretty similar discs to start out with.

Not going off inbounds numbers but my own personal throwing with both molds. The lucid escape will turn as much at high speeds as a new champ valk. In BioFuzion plastic that is going to be more overstable than a Valk. Both escapes being longer with more glide. :) Like I said though if he doesn't like the Saint it might not even be worth checking. There were enough "get another Valk" responses I just gave him another option. :thmbup:

Not going off inbounds numbers but my own personal throwing with both molds. The lucid escape will turn as much at high speeds as a new champ valk. In BioFuzion plastic that is going to be more overstable than a Valk. Both escapes being longer with more glide. :) Like I said though if he doesn't like the Saint it might not even be worth checking. There were enough "get another Valk" responses I just gave him another option. :thmbup:

I'm going to have to check out the DD line as well. :thmbup:

If your looking for a new mold I would agree with Steeze and say DD Escape. It definitely flies similar to a Valk but seems a tad faster. I would compare the Escape to the old mold Beast - a speed 10 Valk. After I threw one it kicked my XL's and Ch. Beasts outta da bag. Try one in Lucid you'll love it!!!! Go Swedish plastic!!!!:thmbup:

Give an Archon a shot, they have the exact same stability rating a Valk does on the inbound chart, but just a bit faster, though I would stick with a champ, they tend to be flatter and more comfortable in the hand than a star, I'm a small arm and some of the best distance shots I've ever got were with one.

I throw a 172g Champ Viking and my friend throws a 170g Star Valk. We've both thrown the Archon and that thing is a MEAT HOOK for both of us. QUOTE]

Not sure what I did to screw up the quote. Oh well.

I'll second what I tried to quote. I bought a Star Archon (Starchon?) when they were released because I was new and Innova called it "a longer Valkyrie". It was either that or the Ape (whichever came out second) that made me realize that they have a good marketing department, but not necessarily good discs being molded. Picked up a Roc3 on a whim (and because it was $10), but other than that I haven't bought a newer Innova disc in a looong time. I'll be happy to stick with Rocs, Gazelles, and the occasional Cheetah.

Find a JK pro 4x Valk or a 4x or 5x JK Champion Valk. All are very flat and fly the same. Nice and stable for a Valk for those low tight lines in the trees. Will be a nice compliment to the beat one you have.

I throw a 172g Champ Viking and my friend throws a 170g Star Valk. We've both thrown the Archon and that thing is a MEAT HOOK for both of us.

Not sure what I did to screw up the quote. Oh well.

I'll second what I tried to quote. I bought a Star Archon (Starchon?) when they were released because I was new and Innova called it "a longer Valkyrie". It was either that or the Ape (whichever came out second) that made me realize that they have a good marketing department, but not necessarily good discs being molded. Picked up a Roc3 on a whim (and because it was $10), but other than that I haven't bought a newer Innova disc in a looong time. I'll be happy to stick with Rocs, Gazelles, and the occasional Cheetah.

You deleted the [/ in the end quote bb code.

Innova has a lot of "stable to understable" discs that often mold up or cool into meathooks. I have one that is not a meat-hook that I don't throw :thmbup:

I have a theory that Innova throwers actually appreciate mold inconsistency, and would call it "mold diversity", not inconsistency.

I like the idea of going fresh champ... As discs that are similar I would say a C or S line TD can give a good s curve when thrown flat. I do think that this depends on your power. I throw about 375 ft with my TD's and thats about max distance on the course.

I got pissed off at Innova for sneaking the plus rim onto Valks so I went to the P-PD personally. The Viking is a good suggestion too though.

Latest posts