• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

replacing discs during a tournament

Ball golf requires two pieces of equipment (the ball and the club) to place one shot. Disc golf obviously only uses one; a disc.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, only stating that a limited number of discs would make it interesting. Would be interesting to see a tournament where pros are limited and so see how it would affect their strategy.

We always see these threads asking "if you could only carry "X" number of discs, what would you pick?", so, if it was a real tournament where the scenario was played out, it could be informative.

Last edited:
We always see these threads asking "if you could only carry "X" number of discs, what would you pick?", so, if it was a real tournament where the scenario was played out, it could be informative.

These do exist in the form of Birdie Bash, Ace Race, Trilogy Challenge, One Disc Challenge, etc.

But you're not going to see many top pros at those kinds of events.

Ball golf requires two pieces of equipment (the ball and the club) to place one shot. Disc golf obviously only uses one; a disc.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, only stating that a limited number of discs would make it interesting. Would be interesting to see a tournament where pros are limited and so see how it would affect their strategy.

I would love to see it. but would be pointless on a course where there isn't really a whole lot of hazard to lose them.

Option 2: Wahoo, Dragon and Hydra and a fishing pole to hook them back out (joking of course)

Option 2: Wahoo, Dragon and Hydra and a fishing pole to hook them back out (joking of course)

That was a joke?
(Stops looking for the backpack fly-rod n reel.)

I was actually considering putting a small hole through the center of an old junk disc and threading a big loop of lightweight fishing line through it-for practicing with different water carries at the family farm- I think the disc would still spin in the loop and the line wouldnt be heavy enough to slow it down

I've switched out discs between rounds plenty of times. usually when it gets windy, i'll bag some more overstable stuff 2nd rd. heck, I've switched putters between rds once.

It would mainly mean players would carry more discs, favoring the huge backpacks and carts.

Unless you also limited the number of discs that could be carried, which would be even worse.
Yes, I favor both. Let's up the challenge a bit!

First off, the number if discs should be limited. Traditional golf decided to limit the number of clubs in a players bag many years ago due to players lugging around huge bags. By limiting the number of clubs, players have to make decisions regarding their bag before every round, and this forces true professionals to step their game up without inconveniencing amateurs too much. I could probably shoot close to my normal score with only a 3-wood, 7-iron, wedge and putter. The better the player, the more clubs or discs they can successfully use. Limiting our number of discs should result in more entertaining play from the top professionals. We should not limit ourself to 14 discs, as golfers don't run a high risk of clubs breaking or becoming lost. 20 might be a workable number.

It would not be hard to modify the rules to require a removable label with the TD's initials on the bottom of every disc approved for play. As each player checks in he could be handed a sheet of 20 (or however many) labels with the TD's initials already in place. The player would have to counter-initial the labels at the table, in view of an official. This would keep players from giving away or selling extra labels. If a disc became lost in the course of tournament play, it could only be replaced between rounds.

This is a complicated issue, because the disc is both club and ball in our version of golf. However, I believe golf is a better game with club limits, and I believe disc golf could be also if we were willing to give it a try.

I play tournaments with a dozen or so, anyway. Maybe 15 if there are significant chances of losing a disc. I don't see the game much better if everyone does this. I say, if my opponent wants to lug 25 discs around, let him.

I just don't see much being gained. Especially to go to all that work. Especially on courses where losing a disc is rare. (In a full tournament, that's almost 2,000 labels for the TD to initial, and more in multi-course events).

No, because on a course that plays around the edge of a lake that has several consecutive holes with a forced water carry of 250-300' where you're regularly throwing into gusting 20-30 mph headwinds with the basket placed 15-25' from the water's edge (see Buckhorn, 8-11), such a rule creates a situation where players who start on those holes and lose discs (and the 2-3 holes immediately prior to them) at a distinct disadvantage vs. those who start on the holes immediately after them.

I think this is the main sticking point that separates the two games. (Most) ball golf tournaments start on the same hole for all players, with differing tee times. We start at the same time on different holes.

I think what makes this interesting is that in ball golf you can have as many balls as you want but you can't add more to the bag during a round and if you run out during the round it is immediate DQ.

Uh … Nope.

Interesting thing happened in a one disc tournament I played in a few years ago. Register for tourney, get a Roc to play the round with. thats the only disc we could use. I finished my round and was walking back to hand in score card and 2 guys behind me from another card start talking. " Hey, i tacoed my disc on hole 5 and called my Girlfriend to bring me another one from my car. I just threw the tacoed one into the bushes so no one would see it. I called him out on it and he got all defensive and said, what was I to do, the disc they gave me was ruined? I said you were suppossed to play with that disc. PERIOD. I told the TD and it was a big debate and that same guy won the rec devision. I was pissed even though I wasn't in his division. haven't been back for a tourney at this place since.

It would not be hard to modify the rules to require a removable label with the TD's initials on the bottom of every disc approved for play. As each player checks in he could be handed a sheet of 20 (or however many) labels with the TD's initials already in place. The player would have to counter-initial the labels at the table, in view of an official. This would keep players from giving away or selling extra labels. If a disc became lost in the course of tournament play, it could only be replaced between rounds.
Cause we know, TD's have all the time in the world to do stuff like this. Such a process would take up half the morning. Might as well weigh discs to see if they're legal while they're at it.
:\

No, because on a course that plays around the edge of a lake that has several consecutive holes with a forced water carry of 250-300' where you're regularly throwing into gusting 20-30 mph headwinds with the basket placed 15-25' from the water's edge (see Buckhorn, 8-11), such a rule creates a situation where players who start on those holes and lose discs (and the 2-3 holes immediately prior to them) at a distinct disadvantage vs. those who start on the holes immediately after them.
This scenario emphasizes perfectly why we should be able to replace discs during the round. I don't get much say in a tournament on what hole I start on.

TDs and players have enough problems as it is without introducing disc limits.

If introducing limits might do something to improve the game or make it more fair that would be one thing, but I don't believe that to be the case.

At any rate, my bag is always whittled down for tournaments. All the discs I'm experimenting with or trying out are gone, and I only carry those I know I can throw.

That leaves more room in my bag for sandwiches.

^^^^^ this
Rules are made to be broken if not made to be enforced. How do you enforce it? Why create more headaches by adding more rules and regulations? TD's have enough to worry about.

To play Devil's Advocate, if a disc limit were deemed a good idea, you could do it in two simpler steps:

(1) Limit the number of discs you can carry, and allow opponents to challenge. It's hard to hide a disc and, if the limit were low, it would be pretty obvious that someone was carrying too many.

(2) Prohibit replacing discs, and apply the penalty if seen. Rarely does a player get a chance to visit his car, and a suspicious opponent could always accompany him.

Not that I think it's a good idea at all---but it could be done with much less effort.

P.S. I've returned to my car to remove discs as often as I've added them. I carry extra discs in case of water losses and, if I passed the water without losing them, dispense with the extra weight.

I think it's worth considering the fact that we've had top level players win major events with numbers of discs below the limits being discussed and way above those limits. That says to me that it's not a huge advantage to have a bunch of discs, it's simply a preference thing. I'm not in favor of making TDs' lives more difficult and adding another difficult to enforce rule if it doesn't actually add any real value to separating players by skill and keeping the sport fair. I also haven't seen any real evidence that it's all that positive a rule in ball golf either, so I don't buy their rule as a justification for adding a similar one to our rule book.

Thanks for all the replys.

This post came after my buddy and I was talking during a casual round last week. I stated now that we are starting to play tournaments regularly I needed a bigger bag just for tournaments. I usually carry about 12 discs but I'd need at least 20 to include back ups. That much weight would def need to be a backpack. Thus we then started debating if you could leave the backups in the car and save the weight.

. . . The better the player, the more clubs or discs they can successfully use. Limiting our number of discs should result in more entertaining play from the top professionals . . .

I disagree here. Limiting disc count means less variety in the bag or less backups in the bag. The most entertaining shots are usually risky and/or require a utility type disc. I see players playing more conservatively and having less room in the bag for roller discs or crazy meathooks.

Latest posts