• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

replacing discs during a tournament

Wouldn't it make more sense to pass a rule that states that the discs that you begin a round with are the discs you must use?
Why do people always want to make more rules for other people even when they are not needed?
This is why we have hundreds of thousands of laws with more added every day.. Not everything needs to be complicated or constantly changed unless there's a good reason.

Not everything needs to be complicated or constantly changed unless there's a good reason.

Want simple? We can all go back to throwing whamo's at trees. Oh wait, if we play against our buddies, what are the rules? Dude, it's in a tree, that's a stroke! No way! And so it begins, rule 1.

It's inevitable, the only constant is change and the more the game progresses, the more rules there will be.

Chair gate? We need a new rule!

For tournaments, I hide the disc that I want to throw each hole at the tee of that hole before the round so that all I have to carry during the round is a putter. Just walk up to the tee, pull the disc out that I hid in the bushes before the round and throw it. I don't even need to carry a bag!

The obvious logical fallacy that is constantly overlooked in the "limit the discs!" argument is that NO, it does NOT make the game "more challenging". It changes the game to favor one type of player and playing style over the other.

In my opinion, that rule would make tournaments fluky, it would introduce much more luck and lessen the effect of skill. If player A and B both hit the tree on a banked fairway and A's disc rolls into the water but B's disc rolls but hits something and stops short, A should be punished doubly by virtue of a penalty stroke on the hole at hand and ALSO have a permanent disadvantage for the rest of the round? How does this make the game better at all?

This rule would be the equivalent of catching a TD off of the net in an Arena Football game...

We've already overanalyzed and asterisked the "McBeth with backups or Jerm the underdog" argument...do we really want to have similar talks every single tournament?