• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Replacing dx Thunderbird

Perhaps a D line PD, if you can find a couple? I also hear P line PDs are fantastic, but have never thrown one. I really Love 3x champ thundies for the slot you're describing, once they collect some seasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep a flatter to flat top Star Valkyrie with Flatter to Flat Top being the key or a regular dome champion Viking is what I would recommend. Then you have a straighter disc right out of the box that flies dead straight. I know I use my almost flat top Star Valkyrie for the windy shots as opposed to my Champion and both are about the same weight maybe 1 gram off.

By wind I mean more then 25 mph to 30-35 mph winds unless a total blocked by wind forest and then use a Champion Destroyer for winds higher then that. 30-35 mph depends how open the hole is. I used to have the Valkyrie as the only distance disc in the 2000's more just a older second series gummy Champion until 2009 getting the Ice Bowl Star disc. Then in 2014 I stumbled on the Champion Destroyer my 170 gram one and then got a few months later a 167 gram model. Now I have a glow Champion Valkyrie and the 2009 ice bowl flat top version.

Just get a G* Thunderbird. They're pretty mellow and actually have a little high speed turn. Much more durable and reliable than DX.

Champion Thunderbird would probably be too overstable. They don't beat in quickly at all either.

Just get a G* Thunderbird. They're pretty mellow and actually have a little high speed turn. Much more durable and reliable than DX.

Champion Thunderbird would probably be too overstable. They don't beat in quickly at all either.

First run dx is more overstable than Champion

You're right that Champion Thundys don't beat in quickly (if at all). But my Champion Thundy (a McBeth 3x disc) is less stable than my Star Thunderbird.

And it was the GStar Thunderbird I tried that began my dislike of GStar plastic. (I feel about GStar the way Twmccoy feels about Renegades. :D )

You're right that Champion Thundys don't beat in quickly (if at all). But my Champion Thundy (a McBeth 3x disc) is less stable than my Star Thunderbird.

And it was the GStar Thunderbird I tried that began my dislike of GStar plastic. (I feel about GStar the way Twmccoy feels about Renegades. :D )

LOL. I won't say I'm super wild about G*. I wouldn't want many molds in that plastic. I liked the Thunderbird OK in G*, but I bag a champion. I don't want any high speed turn, and I don't want the disc beating in really at all.

G* is a very long, glidey plastic. At times the gumminess of it drives me nuts, and I feel like it slips out of my hand.

I recently lost my dx thunderbird which has been my favorite fairway/control driver. It started as overstable as my fd3 but slowly beat to a really straight disc with great glide and just a little fade. It was also the best feeling disc in the hand I have had. It was flat and grippy and really comfortable to throw both backhand and forehand. On average I think I threw it about 330 feet.

Should I get another dx thunderbird and wait for it to wear out or is there something similar out of the box to what I described?

If it hasn't been mentioned already an MVP Neutron Volt would be great out of the box. super comfy in the hand, 8/5/-1/2 are the numbers some may be more stable some may have more flip depends on you, but its a great disc and worth checking out.

If it hasn't been mentioned already an MVP Neutron Volt would be great out of the box. super comfy in the hand, 8/5/-1/2 are the numbers some may be more stable some may have more flip depends on you, but its a great disc and worth checking out.

Although I do prefer just another DX Thunderbird, I can confirm the above recommendation to be good advice. I have thrown my buddy's Plasma Volt (he rarely throws it so it is pretty fresh) probably a dozen times and it behaves just like my Champ Thundy or engraved DX Thundy should. I usually ask him to throw it if I just made a bad Thunderbird throw and I am not carrying a second one.

Although I do prefer just another DX Thunderbird, I can confirm the above recommendation to be good advice. I have thrown my buddy's Plasma Volt (he rarely throws it so it is pretty fresh) probably a dozen times and it behaves just like my Champ Thundy or engraved DX Thundy should. I usually ask him to throw it if I just made a bad Thunderbird throw and I am not carrying a second one.

There are TONS of volts. PLH will always indicate the stability better than plastic, I've used all kinds and they vary, but lately the new Neutrons are pretty much the 8/5/-1/2 - my fav is a higher PLH Eclipse which is more 8/5/-0.5/2 and a worn neutron 8/5/-1.5/2 great combo

its not a teebird at all closer to a Valkyrie --- well maybe think, a Teebird3 with a hint of turn

The 2015 Halloween Star Thunderbirds are some of the most underrated in my opinion. They are more overstable than regular Champ Thunderbirds but with a less dumpy fade than the first run of DX (and more durability). And since so few people bought them, you can still find them pretty easily; looks like there are 3 on eBay right now for fairly reasonable prices. If I didn't have a stack already, I would snap them up.

I recently added a Gstar Thunderbird to my bag as a replacement for a DX which met a rather untimely and quite watery demise. The Gstar Thunderbird is my go-to now. Love the feel, incredible glide, handles the wind really well.
I will admit I still have one DX Thunderbird in the bag for BH placement drives.

I recently added a Gstar Thunderbird to my bag as a replacement for a DX which met a rather untimely and quite watery demise. The Gstar Thunderbird is my go-to now. Love the feel, incredible glide, handles the wind really well.
I will admit I still have one DX Thunderbird in the bag for BH placement drives.

I've used one for so long the stamp is almost worn off. I think it's a perfect disc for me, when applicable. :thmbup:

Gstar thundies are legit. I have a non max weight one that flips, but has the late flight OS integrity. My max weight one basically doesn't flip or fade at 330-350 ft. on a flat, nose down release.

Everyone wants a "longer teebird". But if they wouldn't hate on G Star they'd realize it already exists.

Latest posts