• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reverse X step for forehand drives?

flannelking

Bogey Member
I'm right handed, so on BH for me I would start with a left foot step and then cross behind with my right leg. In the past when throwing FH I.reversed the step order, stepping with my right first, etc. I also seemed to get better results (more torsion?) when turning my head away from the target before release. Any opinions on whether or not this is a good way to get the most distance out of a forehand drive or is it a bad idea?

I could be wrong, but I don't think an x-step is usually done for forehand throws. Since it's so much easier to turn your shoulders away from the target line on the throwing-hand side, the x-step probably wouldn't serve much function.

yeah x step isn't really needed.

Think of it more as throwing a baseball pitch or forehand hit vs the RHBH throw which is more similar to a slap shot or baseball swing.

Last edited:
I'm right handed, so on BH for me I would start with a left foot step and then cross behind with my right leg. In the past when throwing FH I.reversed the step order, stepping with my right first, etc. I also seemed to get better results (more torsion?) when turning my head away from the target before release. Any opinions on whether or not this is a good way to get the most distance out of a forehand drive or is it a bad idea?

You're stepping behind your right leg with your left foot right?

I posted a video of Scott Stokely doing a clinic where he talks about FH and goes through it step by step in this thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116286 - FH form starts at the 11:00 minute. Someone enbed it for me, I'm on mobile. :doh:

He seems like one of the pros who really knows what he's talking about (not all of them do BTW) and since he still holds the FH distance record AFAIK it must work. I've been practicing it lately and getting some pretty good results.

Not on FH cuz I do all the steps opposite of the BH x step pattern. I'm stepping behind my left leg with my right leg on FH, the after I plant my left foot I look away from the target and turn my torso away from the target.

I could be wrong, but I don't think an x-step is usually done for forehand throws. Since it's so much easier to turn your shoulders away from the target line on the throwing-hand side, the x-step probably wouldn't serve much function.

I experimented with it cuz I thought the extra forward motion of the feet/body would add distance. It's the only FH form I've practiced, so I dont know if it does add distance.

I posted a video of Scott Stokely doing a clinic where he talks about FH and goes through it step by step in this thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116286 - FH form starts at the 11:00 minute. Someone enbed it for me, I'm on mobile. :doh:

He seems like one of the pros who really knows what he's talking about (not all of them do BTW) and since he still holds the FH distance record AFAIK it must work. I've been practicing it lately and getting some pretty good results.

I'm going to try some of his tips. Thanks .

I x-step, but not so drastically that I take my eye off the target. I remember it feeling very strange at first, but can't imagine not, now. Also, I think keeping the elbow in tight means more leading with the elbow before the hit; same as a backhand. Forearm cocked and exploding at the last moment during the hit.

Forehand record was broken last year at the same time Lizotte broke BH by Jason Cortella 624 ft.

Stokeley confuses with the idea of the elbow not being tight. What he is talking about is Tee Rex arming it where the elbow never leaves the body through the drive. When people here describe elbow as tight they mean as the disc comes past the body it is in tight (similar to the disc coming in close to the right pec on BH) but it extends away backwards and forwards through the swing. This generally is the best way of producing controlled power. Someone that throws at the far spectrum of this is Mark Ellis who throws sidearm with his elbow way away from his body, even he doesn't recommend this to others though.

I also seemed to get better results (more torsion?) when turning my head away from the target before release. Any opinions on whether or not this is a good way to get the most distance out of a forehand drive or is it a bad idea?

I can't think of ever seeing anyone turn their head fully away on a FH, the beauty of this form is you always look down the line making it great for controlled low drives in the woods. I can't really see how turning your head away would create more power with FH, with FH you are more open to the target through the drive than backhand, so turning your head away would IMO just add an unnecessary extra motion into the drive, watch those vids aim has posted above - eyes on target the whole way.

Rhatton, it added 30 ft or so to my FH but I haven't had a chance to experiment a lot without it yet.

It just doesn't make any sense to turn the head away for forehand?

The hips should never get beyond facing about 3 on a clockface and open to 12 on a clockface (12 being the target), with your shoulders at most turning to about 4 oclock (most players won't go this far as its hard to get timing right). It just wouldn't make any sense to turn your head back further than this and with shoulders getting to at most 4 oclock you can easily keep eyes on the target. All top pros keep their eyes on the target, even for their longest bombs - watch video of Stokeley/Big Jerm/Wysocki/Ville Piiippo, these guys all throw a crazily long way and never take their eyes away.

I'm not saying this to be a prick it just really isn't a good path to pursue if you are looking for long term improvement.

Latest posts