• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH and LHBH?

34blast

Bogey Member
I have tried and tried and tried and just can not throw it forehand. I think it has to do with an old wrist injury during a motorcycle accident. Back in baseball, I used to be a switch hitter. I jokingly threw the disk LHBH (normally right) it was very accurate and about 75% distance of the RHBH throws. I carried the experiment a bit further and did an entire round with only LHBH besides putting, I wasn't much worse and did better on shots that had to curve hard to the right.

How crazy is this idea of using LHBH instead of forehand?

I have played causally for years and always just did an anhyzer for right hand curves, but it seems the disc no matter which one wants to come back to the left a bit on the fade every understable discs. I'm thinking of going further on this experiment.

Not crazy at all. I have a friend who can throw 500ft rhbh, 350ft lhbh. Personally speaking I've been working on my lhbh for a few months now. I'm close to 200ft..with a putter. But the mechanics feel comfortable and I know I just have to keep putting in the time.

LHBH and RHFH are two very different throws. The travel different lines and limited practical application as substitutes or one another. Not that it might not be a reasonable option at times, it simply does not fill the need for all RHFH lines.

I have tried and tried and tried and just can not throw it forehand. I think it has to do with an old wrist injury during a motorcycle accident. Back in baseball, I used to be a switch hitter. I jokingly threw the disk LHBH (normally right) it was very accurate and about 75% distance of the RHBH throws. I carried the experiment a bit further and did an entire round with only LHBH besides putting, I wasn't much worse and did better on shots that had to curve hard to the right.

I have played causally for years and always just did an anhyzer for right hand curves, but it seems the disc no matter which one wants to come back to the left a bit on the fade every understable discs. I'm thinking of going further on this experiment.

It's fine to throw LHBH, just make sure you get the left handed versions of your discs.

Do it. You'll be the coolest kid in town if you master the RHBH/LHBH game.

You might not want to completely abandon forehand though. If you can get short, 50'-150' shots in your game, it will come in very handy for awkward stances and certain approach situations. See if throwing a fairly neutral putter or mid will work at all with your wrist.

My hubby is predominantly RHBH. He has tried repeatedly and failed to get even a passable forehand, so has developed his LHBH.

Having that shot, even at 70% power, opens up a wide range of shot options for him.

The big thing out on the course is getting it done, not HOW you get it done. And if you're comfortable throwing backhand both left and right handed, then cool.

I have also strained my elbow a few times on my primary (left) arm, and switched to right handed backhand. What I've found is that in a few places, where there was a particularly tricky lie, having off-hand throws can be a benefit. I reserve it exclusively for emergency use, though.

I agree with others saying to develop a flick approach. Being able to flick a mid or putter 100' is all you need to give you a valuable get out of trouble shot. If your right wrist can't do it due to injury then learn LHFH. Its not as hard as it sounds if you're approaching with it.

LHBH + RHBH would be a great combo. In addition to covering more lines it saves wear and tear on your right side. I've used LHBH and LHFH before when I've injured my throwing hand, and like the flick approach, knowing I have that shot if I need it does come in handy.

I am a lefty by nature for most things, but have always led with the right side of my body due to being right-eye dominant. Because of this, I started playing and stuck with RHBH for a long time. After a few years I injured myself pretty bad (slipped off a porch in the rain and dislocated a few things) so I had to take a break or change my throw. SO I tried switching to left hand throws. Since then, I have regained my RHBH dominat form, but I often throw LHBH and LHFH shots whenever it makes sense. I will agree that LHBH can't replace RHFH in all situations. I am still trying like hell to learn right hand flicks and have barely made progress beyond 100 feet, but the few shots I am comfy with have been handy to have. I think my game would improve a massive amount with a good right hand flick to 300.

Rhbh rollers can also cover rhfh lines provided the terrain cooperates and imo are easier to learn than throwing left handed (If your not left handed)

I guess I'm a dunce newbie even though I've played for fun for years, besides obstacles, what shots does a RHFH do that a LHBH would not do?

I fooled around a little bit tonight, I can actually throw somewhat LHFH as well, just weak e.g. not very far

I've always oversimplified things and said that, for lower level players, all you really need is a right-turning shot and a left-turning shot. There are definitely some "more advanced" differences between a RHFH and LHBH, but in many situations they both would work equally well. That's why I mention forehand mainly for that short game rather than off-the-tee. Someone earlier mentioned wanting a 300' forehand, but I'm talking way less than that, much like MikeC earlier.

I think obstacles are a big part, and especially awkward stance or restriced reachback and/or follow-through. Once you get some decent forehand wrist snap and the ability to control angles, forehands can be very helpful simply because of the ability to stretch farther. Release angle can also be controlled more precisely, so it's a little easier to make certain flex shots or anhyzers. Hope that helps.

I've had experience with several players who developed this talent, the most notable was Steve Valencia, who was just as powerful both ways but not as accurate with his right. Most people have one hand which is geared more to fine motor tasks while the other hand is physically stronger.

I feel it's a strong tactic for a few reasons, other than the obvious:

1. Helps keep your body balanced and potentially more free from injury - ever look at the 'balance' of a pro tennis player? Some of them look like fiddler crabs. This is just as important for the legs and hips as it is for the arms, shoulders and back.
2. Develops overall feel and sensitivity, which will increase the speed at which you may diagnose your own flaws. Related to this is the ability to make fuller use of the many differing mold types now available.
3. Most people play less than perfectly and we all face unique situations on the course. Adding what amounts to a completely different delivery method makes the golfer much more versatile.
4. Taken as a whole 1, 2 & 3 will definitely increase the golfer's confidence; everyone knows the importance of confidence.

I guess I'm a dunce newbie even though I've played for fun for years, besides obstacles, what shots does a RHFH do that a LHBH would not do?

I fooled around a little bit tonight, I can actually throw somewhat LHFH as well, just weak e.g. not very far

There's typically a significant difference in spin. I use forehands over backhands because I find it easier to hit gaps forehand, and easier to hit the right anhyzer angle/height forehand.

I've thrown both hands back hand almost the entire time playing (9 years now). I only messed with RHFH for a little while, and thought it would bother my elbow, so scrapped it and only throw RHFH when absolutely necessary. Yes, there is a whole bunch more spin put on the disc when I threw it forehand, so that made the same discs that I throw LHBH do different things.

I was playing in a tournament a few years ago, and a guy finally caught on that I was throwing both hands, and said "have you always been amphibious?".... I said yep, can breathe under water too.... Everybody got a chuckle out of it and I tell the story everytime someone finally notices when I play with a new group of guys at a tournament...

I was throwing a little farther Lefty, but now seem to throw about 85% of my tee shots RHBH.

I've never really liked the feel of mids and putters in my left hand, so really have never thrown them lefty... again - only when really necessary...

I started playing RHFH and when I got injured switched to RHBH. Still used to go for forehand for most of my shots. RHBH surpassed my 300ft forehand by 100ft and last fall I just started trying to throw lefty. This year I decided that I dont throw forehand anymore cause it's hindering my improvement. LHBH max is somewhat 290ft with teebird, but i'm going to get it at least 350 this year. Still working with my timing and grip but the distance and consistency go up so fast that you improve almost every time.

It's a little bit cruel to star throwing 40ft noseup drives that dont even go forward that long, but i've managed to get this "talent" in less than half a year by training 1time/2weeks by videoing a lot.
It's way easier to get the distance than forehand if you are noodlearm like me :)

Also less oat, you can actually throw novas, more distance potential, more control and better for body.

You can do it if you try. Go softly first cause i got one week soreness in my pec after first field session. :)

I think having 2 backhands may even be better than a BH and a FH. I think most people switch because they only have one are they can throw well with.

I think the disadvantage in lhbh + rhbh combo is in trouble shots. You have to take a very similar stance behind a tree and possibly face the very same restrictions in both bh throws. The advantage of FH is that you can step a side and maintain better posture/balance and therefore produce easier power. Your arm is most likely gonna hit that branch no matter which arm you use for backhand when you find yourself in the rough or tricky lie. I'd suggest LHFH for those reasons.

Latest posts