• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHFH help

climbingkid

ok, when i first started out (about a year and a half ago) all i threw was a forhand drive. it took a few months to build up but eventually i could do what i wanted with it (as far as beginners go) but later my main throw changed to the typical RHBH which has developed nicely. Now I'm coming back to the RHFH so i can be ready for any kind of shot, but now it seems all i can do is turn it over so it goes left. the only way i could stop my self from doing this is holding my wrist before i throw and even shaking it back in forth, but this is silly and impractical and does not make me confident in my ability. Hopefully someone here can give me a few tips on not turning the disc over every time i decide to drive with a forehand.
As for disc preference, I mostly use a champion Valkyrie (which is what i originally started with) and a blizzard boss but can only get consistently correct shots out of the boss anymore.

P.S. anyone with some forehand approach tips, help there would be appreciated as well as im finding myself more and more on the left side of the fairway after a forehand drive.

video?

you are probably rolling your wrist over

try not throwing as "hard"

be smooth with a "steely wrist stop"

Try keeping your palm facing up/towards sky through the shot. The Boss is coming back because its really overstable. Try a Buzzz for the approaches.

DGM 95 - Pro Player Clinic, Sarah Hokum gives a good sidearm tutorial.
http://youtu.be/lUOq09T2q54?t=16m27s
The TLDR of her segment is keep the palm up, lead with side of hand, karate chop style.

Avery Jenkins doing a tutorial for Discmania's Deep Inside the Game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ewCoZ8BwM
The TLDR of his tutorial is keep palm up all the way through follow through, elbow close to the body during the throwing motion.

I had the same thing happen to me.
Originally, I threw with a one finger grip because it was the most comfortable for me and I was having decent success.
I switched to two and it flattened it out a lot more and gave me more control.
The "palm up" tip also helps immensely.
Overthrowing leads to bad form and less distance.
Most of the FH distance comes from the elbow down.

I like throwing forehands with overstable to stable discs. I think the Valkyrie would be way too understable for a good forehand driver. If you're still having trouble with stable discs, try something more overstable like a Banshee or a Predator.

I don't like the "palm up" approach, I usually throw with the palm out toward the target a little more, about 45 degrees upright.

If you want to hyzer the disc a bit to get it to go straight or to the right, just extend or bend your wrist down a bit to get the edge of the disc down.

Lastly, bend over at the waist a bit and make sure you're not throwing standing completely upright.

For approach forehands with putters/mids its best to slow everything down. Don't get a run up with a putter or mid range, it will put way too much momentum behind it and it will turn over just about every time. When I approach with a forehand I normally throw either a buzzz/zone/challenger and I will start them on a hyzer because I have enough snap on it to flip up and fly straight.

For your drives basically try to keep your arm in tight and not sling it around everywhere, I see this a lot with new players. They think the more arm they can get into it the farther it will go, you want to focus on a good smooth release. Smooth = far

If you've thrown fh before getting back into it is pretty easy. For me it just took a week of throwing fh putters from 50'-100' in warm ups.
As for approaches, the split finger grip worlds much better than the stacked grip. Just put your middle finger on the rim and index finger pointing straight towards the center.

The way you grip the disc doesn't matter as much as your form. Ive seen soo many different grips on forehands. The people that have good form can forehand good, regardless of their grip. Ive seen the split finger grip, stacked two finger, one finger (how I forehand), the two finger grip where both fingers are touching the rim, and even three fingers stacked. It's whatever feels more comfortable

I like throwing forehands with overstable to stable discs. I think the Valkyrie would be way too understable for a good forehand driver. If you're still having trouble with stable discs, try something more overstable like a Banshee or a Predator.

I don't like the "palm up" approach, I usually throw with the palm out toward the target a little more, about 45 degrees upright.

If you want to hyzer the disc a bit to get it to go straight or to the right, just extend or bend your wrist down a bit to get the edge of the disc down.

Lastly, bend over at the waist a bit and make sure you're not throwing standing completely upright.

Valkyrie is a solid disc to forehand, really good on low lines IMO. I definitely see some validity in throwing more overstable discs for consistency sake, but at this point in the game going overstable could mask his form flaws and inhibit his FH growth even more.

I'd say focus on slowing every thing down and trying to take your arm out of the shot and focus more on your wrist and fore arm. I am primarily a FH player and I find when I am turning things over more than usual I am trying to throw too hard. You can really rip a disc off with out a whole lot of effort if you are smooth and have decent snap.

I don't understand how people use a 1 finger grip, it feels extremely weak in my opinion against a two finger, but to each his own. Most pros that I have seen their grip, throw either a two finger stack (Mark Ellis and Sarah Hokom), 2 finger power grip (Aver Jenkins), or a 2 finger split grip (Mike Raley). I do not know of many side-arm pros who throw with a one finger grip.

I started RHBH and stayed that way for 4 years. Last year I really started toying with side arms just so I could have them for out of trouble shots. Then I wanted to get more distance for holes that are RHFH friendly. After a year, I can safely say that I have confidence in my side arm off the tee for up to 325-340 foot drives. Here are the things that helped me get there.

1.) I started with stable discs first. I knew from learning backhand on overstable first that learning understable and stable plastic is the best way to start. Once I could control the flight with form over power, I started stepping up to the overstable plastic. That way I knew I wouldn't have to roll my wrist over to achieve distance.
2.) I didn't try any sort of run up. Just one step at first. That way I knew I wasn't adding any variable to my throws. All the distance and accuracy I was achieving was from form (or lack there of). It helped me develop a level release to my throw as I was less concentrated on throwing hard and more concentrated on throwing clean. Once I could achieve decent distance I started with a slow run up. At this point, I still don't have a running run up for my sidearms. I feel that it add's (at this point in my development) too many variables that sacrifice accuracy and consistency for maybe 40-50 extra feet of distance. I'll take in the fairway and 40 out over 15 feet and in jail any day.
3.)I found my sidearm grip of choice. Everyone was telling me different ways to grip for a sidearm. People said 2 finger was better or 1 finger was better etc... I tried everything and it took awhile (3 months) till I figured out which grip was best suited for me. For any distance or up shot, it's the traditional two finger grip. If I'm throwing rollers, it's a one finger grip. I found the 2 finger fan grip was no more accurate than my 2 finger grip. As for the power grip, I had no success with it at all. Find the one that is best for you and make it feel as natural as your backhand grip feels. That way, your know your not thinking about it on the teepad. You are just doing.
4.) Field work. Lots and lots of field work. Like I did with my backhand, I threw every disc on every angle to figure out what discs would work best for me. I now don't have to guess at what I might think will work best for a hole, I know what will. That is, of course, if I throw that disc correctly.
5.) People always say play with people better then you. This goes with learning new techniques as well. If you have friends or somebody you know has a much better side arm then you, play with them. Pick their brains and watch them throw. It's amazing what watching somebody's good form can do for yours. This can be a double edged sword. Try to realize what is good form and bad form and stop paying attention to the bad. Incorporating other people's bad habits into your game only causes woe and frustration. In with the good and out with the bad.
6.) Lastly, challenge yourself. Go play rounds only sidearm. I have a different best score for each course in my area depending on how I decide to play that day. A P.B for backhand only, sidearm only, and mixed. Got a friend that can't throw backhand but can throw wicked forehands? Challenge them to play a round all backhand while you play all forehand. I did this with my buddy who had a monster sidearm but the backhand of a newborn. By the end of the summer, he had developed a good clean backhand that he felt confident in and I had developed a sidearm that I felt confident in. The best part was it was fun since I wasn't the only one out of their element. It made failing more enjoyable because you could be sure that your friend was in the same sort of boat. You'll always retain more information when you are not frustrated.

Phew, that was a lot of words.

The only reason I forehand with one finger is because that's what works for me. It's the only grip I can do to get a forehand shot smooth. But I stil have a good bit of power with it, it seems like I have more snap with one finger compared to two fingers

thanks for the help so far, unfortunately i dont know when the next time ill be able to play is. On the other hand, there is a park next to where i work so after i get off, i may try to get some videos of my forehands.

As a primarily RHBH thrower, I've been looking for advice myself. Thanks to all for their input, I'll be trying a few new things next weekend now :)

Latest posts