• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] RHFH power thower need help finding discs to throw

kingMcGrew

I throw RHFH and mainly throw champion oversable discs boss, ape, banshee ect. Occasionaly i can throw a vulcan or sidewinder. Ive tried a groove, beast, mamba, dominator even a pro boss and others but they all roll over an turn into rollers. Any sugestions on other plastics or discs to try? I can throw my "go to" boss about 400-450ft... just trying to improve my game any help is appreciated.. thanks

You could either try a Nuke OS or Stiletto, or just try to clean up your form. If you're turning an Ape into a roller, it's most likely because of your throw, not the disc being thrown.

Throw some mids to clean up your form. Buzzz or Truth, something like that. What do you throw for mids now?

Honestly, it sounds more like you are strong-arming for distance. I would assume by the information that you supplied that you primarily throw flex shots (thrown with anny and let the disc's stability take over.) If you really want to improve, start throwing some slower and more neutral discs. Throwing mids will certainly help as well.

If you are strong-arming, cleaning up your form will save your body, especially your elbow, from long term damage. 400-450 is pretty good distance with a FH. Learning to throw much slower discs will increase your accuracy and potentially get you some more controlled distance.

Without more information, I feel you are in need of more technique based advice more than what discs to throw. Overstable discs mask more form flaws than more neutral discs. Hence why I think it's more in the technique because you are burning understable plastic.

My forehand isn't worth much - hella torquey - but even I can get a straight to fade flight out of a Resistor. Too slow for max D, but it could be worth looking into: it's about the Banshee's speed, with as much if not more HSS but a later, slighter lesser fade on a full power throw than a fresh Champ Banshee. Nice FH-friendly flat top, too.

The Motion is essentially a faster Resistor, and could be worth a try.

I agree i prolly am strong arming my drives.... i have no problem throwing my champion ape.. an mid range i usually throw champion panther, spider or fairway driver banshee. Or i throw my champion aviar under 100ft

I think I know exactly what your doing because you sound like me 8 months ago. Your. Probably getting some anny side role on your release. I was rolling Apes, Giants and Xcals and thinking it was their problem. Work on getting a flat release without losing your snap.

If you can master that you will not lose my distance and will gain a ton of control.

Mark Ellis has some great videos about throwing FH on YouTube.

As for discs if your not going to change your form a Stiletto can mask it, it's overstable enough that I can throw it on high flex lines and get 450+ out of it at times.

If you can even it out a bit the only discs I get more reliable results than the Ape is the Giant great disc.

Your form is probably ****.

Top pro's throw Destroyers as their main 'workhorse' drivers and don't turn them over.

Go spend some time with a DX Teebird and get it to 350 and get back to us.

I'm not going to speculate about your form. If you want something new to try that is over stable and awesome to forehand get a PD2

I agree i prolly am strong arming my drives.... i have no problem throwing my champion ape.. an mid range i usually throw champion panther, spider or fairway driver banshee. Or i throw my champion aviar under 100ft

I wouldn't imagine that you would have problems throwing your ape. Like many others, the ape's overstability will hide problems with your release (and form.) How are your mids flying for you? Are they predictable? Do you have anything that is truly understable that you can count on?

Do you backhand at all? I just wonder what you do when you are faced when you need a distance turnover. Assuming you FH, does your sidewinder perform well in that role? I've known quite a few FH-only players around here that use OS discs as well and when they are faced with that right-to-left shot, they tend not to do so well on those holes. I know they used to give me troubles as well.

I used to throw mainly high speed, overstable discs as well when I was FH only. I spent the time trying to learn how to FH a Comet and it helped me immensely. The only high speed discs I carry now are my beat-to-snot Destroyer and Terns. The only time I even think about flicking my beat Xcal is if the sustained wind is higher than 20mph. My advice is still to work on your form. Being able to throw smooth hyzers, hyzerflips and anhyzers, to me, will open up a whole lot more lines to you than throwing straight-to-fade or flex shots. It will also help you get easier (less body strain) distance as well.

I highly doubt i have crappy/****ty form if im throwing 4-450 and shooting pretty good scores... i can throw a destroyer i just prefer my boss. I may need to work on it a little but i just am asking what are some good sidearm distance discs to throw that arnt overstable. Maybe i should practice my backhand

Throw some putter only rounds. Get a Comet and throw that as your main driver for a while. When you've got a handle on that stuff, start working with a TeeBird.

A Tern is my primary FH distance driver. Of course, I also throw Sidewinders, Vulcans, Stalkers, F7's, and many other neutral to understable discs with no problem. If you really are a FH beast who needs extreme overstability, maybe try a Max or a Monster or a Nuke OS. Or, like others have suggested, work on your form.

PD2 is my money forehand disc when i'm worried about where my boss will end up.

I can count on my sidewinder on holes right to left an sometimes the vulcan. Midrange i throw banshee spider an panther which i do great with all of those. I miss my first run mako3 that i lost. I do throw a monster as well which is reliable. I think i may try a tern or comet. Would it be worth tryin a lighter weight stable disc an throwin anhyzers? Right now almost every disc i throw is over 170g

Stick to max weight. If you can throw a Comet FH 300' with control you will be able to throw anything.

I can count on my sidewinder on holes right to left an sometimes the vulcan. Midrange i throw banshee spider an panther which i do great with all of those. I miss my first run mako3 that i lost. I do throw a monster as well which is reliable. I think i may try a tern or comet. Would it be worth tryin a lighter weight stable disc an throwin anhyzers? Right now almost every disc i throw is over 170g

PD2 is the most reliable distance forehand disc, but the Boss is my primary disc for long serpentine distance.

For long distance anhyzer throws Forehand(right to left flight path) I use a well seasoned Wraith , I also use it for awesome rollers. I hit 350 foot right to left lines rolling or turning that wraith where others would right hand backhand, it essentially doubles my long distance lines I can throw.

450ft forehand is impressive, only maybe 2 of the top 10 pros in the world can forehand throw 450ft, so don't sweat people here critiquing you.

Last edited:
Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your original question. I thought you were looking for more overstable plastic. I can't really recommend a plethora of discs but I can recommend the Tern for long distance turnover/hyzerflip duties. I can also recommend Pro Wraiths and Valkyries for distance lines.

Regarding form, I still agree with the others that you still might need to work on it a bit. If you turn-and-burn less overstable plastic, that just tells me you might have some release issues. Whether that just be angle or some OAT. I can't tell you how much my game improved once I figured out how to throw and control a Comet. Now, I don't think there is a disc that I can't FH. That one disc helped me learn which discs would work for my game instead of my throw. Like I mentioned previously, those FH only players that can muscle an OS disc usually threw further than me (but they were typically 12-15 years my junior) but couldn't throw anything else. With my FH, I have around 400' of controlled distance.

I agree with sticking to close to max weight. Although with lighter discs you don't need to throw as hard but they are a touch harder to control.

Latest posts