• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Rhyno Nation!

Rhyno Nation, I need your help!

So I recently received a beat Pro (factory store) and beat R-Pro in a trade (thanks ILUVSMGS18) and really, REALLY love the R-Pro especially. Was all set to buy a couple more for cycling as my sole putter mold, but . . .

I've had two of the absolute worst rollaways with that disc. One was, no joke, 80'+. The thing that alarms me is that even when the disc slows down it just keeps (slowly) rolling along another 20' before it finally topples. I know discs are round, and I know rollaways happen, but no other putter I've played has done ANYTHING quite like this, not even the Pro.

Is this just something I gotta live with if I apply for citizenship in the Rhyno Nation?

Sounds like you rolled down hole 10 at Banklick. Any disc is capable of rolling like that and more than likely will at some point during its life in your bag. If I were to offer advice it would be to focus on soft landings to minimize rollaways more than looking for a mold that doesn't roll.

So I recently received a beat Pro (factory store) and beat R-Pro in a trade (thanks ILUVSMGS18) and really, REALLY love the R-Pro especially. Was all set to buy a couple more for cycling as my sole putter mold, but . . .

I've had two of the absolute worst rollaways with that disc. One was, no joke, 80'+. The thing that alarms me is that even when the disc slows down it just keeps (slowly) rolling along another 20' before it finally topples. I know discs are round, and I know rollaways happen, but no other putter I've played has done ANYTHING quite like this, not even the Pro.

Is this just something I gotta live with if I apply for citizenship in the Rhyno Nation?

I don't bag a Rhyno, but I have in the past. I did not find it a disc with a particular propensity for rolling away, in fact...I would say the opposite. I don't know the roll away circumstances, but roll away greens require a specialized approach. I generally try to go to a slight anhyzer putt with some loft. I try not to change my putt a ton, since I am still looking for the putt to go in. But, managing the comeback putt is always food for thought, when sizing up a putt. So, I want a miss, on a roll away green, to land FLAT....and if a Rhyno lands flat, it usually sticks where it lands.

Soft Flexible plastics that are still rigid, like R-Pro, will bounce slightly off the ground if they land on an edge and then roll. Any disc moving slowly while on edge will roll away. Soft plastics will end up on edge more often than hard plastics. The super soft blowfly type plastics are different obviously. I'm speaking only about the plastics that retain their shape while being softer than say DX types.

Don't give up on the R-Pro or the Rhyno, it's not a mold thing at all. The R-Pro is a great plastic too if you like how it feels. If your throwing the disc for an approach, just practice angle control and soft landings. Good Advice for every disc/shot. If your putting with it and getting more rollaways than the harder plastic you have 2 options: 1) miss less often, haha, of course I mean be more confident in your putts and make the ones you know you can and lay up the runs that you aren't confident in. 2) switch back to the harder plastic

I don't bag a Rhyno, but I have in the past. I did not find it a disc with a particular propensity for rolling away, in fact...I would say the opposite. I don't know the roll away circumstances, but roll away greens require a specialized approach. I generally try to go to a slight anhyzer putt with some loft. I try not to change my putt a ton, since I am still looking for the putt to go in. But, managing the comeback putt is always food for thought, when sizing up a putt. So, I want a miss, on a roll away green, to land FLAT....and if a Rhyno lands flat, it usually sticks where it lands.

I agree that any disc can roll and that the Rhyno is not the worst disc for rollaways. When I was bagging the Rhyno I was throwing spike hyzers with it, which often causes the disc to land on edge, and I didn't have any particular problems with rollaways.

I'd suggest trying a few more rounds with your current Rhynos and see if the problem persists despite awareness of the problem and trying more to mitigate it. If the problem still doesn't go away, then you might have to look at a change.

I'm surprised to hear you say that it rolls. I found that the only way to have that Rhyno roll is to have it land on edge on a hilly area. Throw it flat for approaches (I had that JK Aviar that you also got [the mystery X-out] and that was my hit and stick disc if I needed angle, or I would throw a flex FH with the Rhyno), and you shouldn't have the bad rolls. Your Foci putt really well for me, and are great for the same things I used that R-Pro Rhyno for.

It sounds like I'm in luck - my love of this disc doesn't come with an unfortunate rollaway side-effect, I just need to learn how to approach hills better! "Get gud" is my favorite advice because I know I can do it - thanks gang!

Also, for the record, hole 10 didn't go so well for me at Banklick, but that's not where I had a rollaway. I think it was 19 (the one after the chuck over the wooded ravine). The other was practice putting in my hilly backyard!

Now to figure out what all plastics to get. :^)

Glad those foci are working out for you ILUVSMGS18!

The one with upper and lower tees? That's 18. If you threw anywhere on the right tree line you can't blame the roll on the Rhyno. Try catching an edge wrong on 12 and rolling down into 18's ravine. The group on 18 who saw it rolling had a good laugh.

The one with upper and lower tees? That's 18. If you threw anywhere on the right tree line you can't blame the roll on the Rhyno. Try catching an edge wrong on 12 and rolling down into 18's ravine. The group on 18 who saw it rolling had a good laugh.

I need to get back down there. Just hearing the hole descriptions makes me miss that course. It's so fun.

Just a heads up to the Rhyno Lovers... DGU released my Tank stamp HERE. I am absolutely loving these as a pairing with my Rhynos since they are a little straighter. There are hard Tanks, soft Tanks, and soft Glow. The hard Tanks are great for driving and the softs are great at settling on tricky greens or grabbing chains. They might be better at nestling than Rhynos because the fade isn't as strong.

If I had to pick a favorite, I guess I really like my soft black ones. They are just so predictable and feel familiar because of the Thumtrac.

Highly recommended to Rhyno Lovers :)

Last edited:
Just a heads up to the Rhyno Lovers... DGU released my Tank stamp HERE. I am absolutely loving these as a pairing with my Rhynos since they are a little straighter. There are hard Tanks, soft Tanks, and soft Glow. The hard Tanks are great for driving and the softs are great at settling on tricky greens or grabbing chains. They might be better at nestling than Rhynos because the fade isn't as strong.

If I had to pick a favorite, I guess I really like my soft black ones. They are just so predictable and feel familiar because of the Thumtrac.

Highly recommended to Rhyno Lovers :)

Nizzze looking stamp. :thmbup:

Rhyno Nation: what are my current plastic options for a flat Rhyno? How about flat and overstable?

The flattest Rhynos I've purchased in the past few months have been R-Pro. I have 5 and they are all board flat.

I picked up two Pro Rhynos which were domey enough to feel odd in my hand, and they are by far the most overstable.

I have a DX and Champion Rhyno that are not as board flat as the R-Pros, but much flatter than the Pros. Stability is about equal between the two, and both are in the middle of the R-Pro and Pro for stability.

My 175g f2 Gstar is basically flat. A little less stable than my pig, but won't really get turned over either.