• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Rhyno: Why don't more pros use them?

Did Matt Dollar give up the Sinus? He was using that in the past...

Pretty sure. It may have been in some of the promo videos for the Caltrop that he said he was making the switch. I think he only used the Sinus as it was the closest to his Rhynos, but the Caltrop is obviously closer in feel, which for putting putters is the most important thing (I get the impression that the Caltrop is not as stable as Rhynos though).

There are a few pros out there who use them, Logan Bowers, David Wiggins, William Gummeson and a few other European players, but yeah, at the top, you don't see many.

I love Rhynos, If they only made a Rhyno in KC plastic that was consistently flat!

Dang, never thought about that, KC pro, flat, rhynos! Pretty sexy.

Dang, never thought about that, KC pro, flat, rhynos! Pretty sexy.
My guess is the Factory Store ones are the best you are going to get. Not sure they sell well enough for a specific run in KC. The Factory ones are not stiff and slick like good KC, but awesome none the less. Similar to something in between Classic Hard and Blend from Dynamic, leaning a bit more toward Hard.

A lot of people don't know this but most pros are real sticklers for proper spelling. You don't want to line up for that tourney clinching death putt and look down at the last second and go "WTF, why is there a 'Y' in Rhino?" :|:D
After years of Rhynos I do have a hard time spelling rhinoceros properly.

I don't know how durable the newer Factory Store stiff R-Pros are, but the early ones seasoned pretty quickly for me. Definitely not KC Pro level durability.

Are we talking putting putter or as an approach disc? Putting putter is most about feel, but I'm sure some of it has to do with a pro's circle of confidence. If you're running a rhyno from 50 feet out you're not aiming straight at the basket. An aviar can run a straighter line to the bucket from farther away.

As far as an up shot disc, most of your top pros are getting to the green. The lowly am that I am will lay up from a much closer distance whereas your pros can comfortably run the basket because they know they can make a 30 foot come back putt. They're just better off the tee and have a larger putting radius so I don't think there is a huge need.

I am talking approach disc. I think this is a great post, a lot of truth in this.

I used the old Champ Ontarios back in the day but eventually it came out because it wasnt overstable enough and I wasnt the biggest fan of how it felt in the hand. I fell like most pros dont carry one or any overstable driving putter because its not needed as much. Most pros will just power down an overstable mid for short overstable drives as opposed to powering up a putter.

For the first few years, I didn't like the feel either. I dunno, they feel natural now. The shallowness allows for a good release. Also, I agree, they aren't necessary OS. I have two rhyno shots (BH anyway)
1. 1-60% power: pretty straight to decent fade
2. 60%+ power: dead straight to a little fade if it runs out of steam or if it is thrown high.

Point being, I hardly ever flip one unless I am trying to (I don't have a big arm), so I feel comfortable laying into it. When I am running it at the basket from 100-150 ft. out (Option 2 above) I just point and shoot, because of the lack of glide, magical things happen.

Several poster have said that pros just power down a mid or can throw a beadless PnA on the same lines as Rhyno. You guys are probably right. It's not like that for me. I don't want to power down a mid, it's probably too much glide. I just want to crank on a approach, know it's not gonna flip, and it to finish straight or with a slight fade.

Are we talking putting putter or as an approach disc? Putting putter is most about feel, but I'm sure some of it has to do with a pro's circle of confidence. If you're running a rhyno from 50 feet out you're not aiming straight at the basket. An aviar can run a straighter line to the bucket from farther away.

As far as an up shot disc, most of your top pros are getting to the green. The lowly am that I am will lay up from a much closer distance whereas your pros can comfortably run the basket because they know they can make a 30 foot come back putt. They're just better off the tee and have a larger putting radius so I don't think there is a huge need.

I think this is the correct answer.

Pretty sure. It may have been in some of the promo videos for the Caltrop that he said he was making the switch. I think he only used the Sinus as it was the closest to his Rhynos, but the Caltrop is obviously closer in feel, which for putting putters is the most important thing (I get the impression that the Caltrop is not as stable as Rhynos though).

Dollar putts with different discs all the time, lol. Sinus, judge, caltrop, spike....depends on the putt, and how hes feeling. He may be the only player I know that is constantly, and consistently putting with different putters....and still putts like a badass.
True example of, "Its the archer, not the arrow"

For the first few years, I didn't like the feel either. I dunno, they feel natural now. The shallowness allows for a good release. Also, I agree, they aren't necessary OS. I have two rhyno shots (BH anyway)
1. 1-60% power: pretty straight to decent fade
2. 60%+ power: dead straight to a little fade if it runs out of steam or if it is thrown high.

Point being, I hardly ever flip one unless I am trying to (I don't have a big arm), so I feel comfortable laying into it. When I am running it at the basket from 100-150 ft. out (Option 2 above) I just point and shoot, because of the lack of glide, magical things happen.

Several poster have said that pros just power down a mid or can throw a beadless PnA on the same lines as Rhyno. You guys are probably right. It's not like that for me. I don't want to power down a mid, it's probably too much glide. I just want to crank on a approach, know it's not gonna flip, and it to finish straight or with a slight fade.

Yea I had to stop throwing them because I would step up to a 300' shot and want to throw it and if there was any wind at all I couldn't trust that it wouldn't flip over.

I also was of the mind set back when I was newer that I wanted to throw the slowest disc I could for the hole and just crank on it. I carried a Champ Birdie just for that for a while but it got to the point where I wasnt as accurate and then changed my game accordingly.

Yea I had to stop throwing them because I would step up to a 300' shot and want to throw it and if there was any wind at all I couldn't trust that it wouldn't flip over.

I also was of the mind set back when I was newer that I wanted to throw the slowest disc I could for the hole and just crank on it. I carried a Champ Birdie just for that for a while but it got to the point where I wasnt as accurate and then changed my game accordingly.

I've never thrown a Birdie. It looks like a Polecat with a Rhyno/Pig top, is that right? I assume it's a little more stable with less glide than a Polecat?

I've never thrown a Birdie. It looks like a Polecat with a Rhyno/Pig top, is that right? I assume it's a little more stable with less glide than a Polecat?

Pretty much, its not OS by any means but it was straight and didnt go far. It was fun to throw.

For me it's considerably more LSS with next to no glide compared to the Polecat. Basically the same difference as taking a BB Aviar and slapping the Thumbtrac top on it to make it a Rhyno. It's a lot more fun to throw than the Rhyno though (to me).

I couldn't imagine a round without my two beat, Ontario pros. One for hyzer-flip-to-rope-line straight and the other for slightly stable duties. Those and my beat-to-straight Ontario DX putter. Never found much use for new Rhynos though.

Dollar putts with different discs all the time, lol. Sinus, judge, caltrop, spike....depends on the putt, and how hes feeling. He may be the only player I know that is constantly, and consistently putting with different putters....and still putts like a badass.
True example of, "Its the archer, not the arrow"

He's searching for a rhyno replacement. Ask him 'bout that purple one.

*Cough* RDG Scale *Cough*

...(Rhyno Improved)...

I wanted this to be true. Seriously. Enough so that I still own 5 in RFF. But they just weren't the same. They felt deeper to me and never beat to that sweet spot the Ontario Pros did.

I believe you're supposed to throw it.

Im trying to think of a situation where I wished I had an OS glideless putter that weighs 140g, and I cant think of one in all my years of throwing. Maybe Im not engaging fully in this hobby..

Latest posts