• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ricky Wysocki #38008

Ricky is a big enough star that he can probably "request" DD create whatever type of disc he wants. The Innova Wysocki Tour Pig isn't the same as the other Innova Pigs....it had a flatter top. He could easily say to DD, I want an approach putter as close to the Wysocki Tour Pig as you can legally make. Do you think they would say no - you have to use what we have available?

I was just curious as to what people think would be first on the docket for his line of discs. I have no doubt they will make him whatever he wants.

What do you think will be first? I know he used the dagger for putting in the past but I would think Dynamic would prefer he have a putter with Dynamics Logo. So I'm leaning towards a signature putter line.

Ah, I was actually meaning any new trilogy molds that have been released since he left a couple years ago. You're right though, at some point he'll have his own models as well. I agree with you, I think the first disc in his lineup will be a putter…probably a dagger with some very minor tweaks made.

Putter is a smart choice for a couple of reasons. Ricky is probably known best for canning those long 50-80 footers. I think most am players probably realize they lose a couple strokes a round to putts they should've made. Obvious answer is to practice more, but we also know it's way easier to buy Ricky's putter and expect more putts to go in. People also tend to buy putters in stacks once they decide they like it.

I'll be interested to see if he has some flexibility in the naming of his discs or if they'll fit in with the existing theme. I know a lot of people rip on DD for the naming theme, to me it's just a disc name…I don't see it as glorifying anything.

I wonder what your opinion is on "growing the sport" then. If you're not willing to support the pros simply because you won't throw their disc, what is your contribution to the game?

Maybe you TD, or work on the clean-up crew of your local course, but financial support is still something many of these players need.

Buying discs is never going to make me broke, so I have no problem considering my purchases as benefiting the disc golf community as a whole.

This won the "post that made me roll my eyes the hardest today" award...

Debatable. If there's no one to come play at a course I build, what good have I really done. Manufacturers/pros have a much wider reach than me/my local club.

The point is, if you're only buying discs you will throw, you are not putting any money into the sport, and money is what truly grows things in this country.

...up until I read this one. :\

Scraping teepads in the winter before they can ice over, emailing city councilmembers so that they're aware parks are enjoyed when disc golf baskets are installed, taking neighborhood kids to the course to introduce them to the game...those are all positive contributions to the disc golf community. And those are all things we can do with $0 spent.

Creating false demand by buying discs you don't need though? Do you not remember how much cheaper plastic was just two years ago before all these 6 figure pro sponsorships and the COVID boom? If you're buying discs you don't need, then you're part of the problem.

I wonder what your opinion is on "growing the sport" then. If you're not willing to support the pros simply because you won't throw their disc, what is your contribution to the game?

Maybe you TD, or work on the clean-up crew of your local course, but financial support is still something many of these players need.

Buying discs is never going to make me broke, so I have no problem considering my purchases as benefiting the disc golf community as a whole.

Debatable. If there's no one to come play at a course I build, what good have I really done. Manufacturers/pros have a much wider reach than me/my local club.

The point is, if you're only buying discs you will throw, you are not putting any money into the sport, and money is what truly grows things in this country.

This is pretty out of touch. There are likely hundreds of thousands of casual, league and tournament player in this country. There are a couple hundred pro tour players and a few handfuls of players with tour series discs.

Working in your community to provide a positive disc golf culture for player, families and neighbors is how disc golf is grown. Pandering to professionals is just myopic.

Newer players today better hurry up and understand this concept. Many of us grumpy grandpa's are not going to be around to run leagues, tournaments, build courses.....forever.

Maybe the future is Disc Golf Valley and DGPT YouTube videos.

*sigh*

Welp, I was an officer in a disc golf club, ran a weekly league with 60+ guys in it, TD'ed a dozen local events a year and was the TD for five or six of the club's PDGA events. Oh, and I ran a disc golf store out of the community center for a parks department with a course. Then I got married, moved, had kids, moved again to a town that had no course, did presentations to get courses installed, helped get one installed and started running a league and local events again, started another club, started a kids disc golf program (got a grant from the PDGA and a deal from Gateway so we gave away a lot of discs with that one) and got the financing in 2020 to update the original course we installed (new baskets, concrete tee pads). At which point I was 25 years worth of volunteering my time and efforts and I passed the torch; I'm retired from promoting disc golf.

Oh, and a I blab about disc golf a lot on the Internet. :|

Yeah, I don't see how "bought a golf disc I didn't need because it had the signature of somebody I don't know" enhances my disc golf resume.

Creating false demand by buying discs you don't need though? Do you not remember how much cheaper plastic was just two years ago before all these 6 figure pro sponsorships and the COVID boom? If you're buying discs you don't need, then you're part of the problem.

LOL, do you understand that everything is more expensive than it was 2 years ago?

It's called inflation, and it's only going to get worse in the US as we have been printing money like crazy.

But yes "false demand" is the reason that no one can keep discs in stock...

@Ahildy
Grow the game can mean different things to different people.

I'd argue that an individual's participation in grass roots club level activities, running local leagues and events, making courses happen, etc.

...those things grow the game more significantly than their purchasing someone's tour series disc.

I'm not knocking anyone for buying any disc they want, for whatever reason they want. You're free to do as you please. But don't tell me purchasing a disc helps grow the sport more the solid contribution to an active club.

Even if He never purchased a single piece of plastic I'd argue Tim's creation of DGCR some 14 yrs ago did more to grow the game than just about anything else. Look how many of us have been using DGCR as a resource for road trips, course development, technique and advice, and pretty much every conceivable aspect of the game... for over a decade.

DGCR's been putting players on courses they'd never played years before U-Disc was a thing.

Last edited:
LOL, do you understand that everything is more expensive than it was 2 years ago?

It's called inflation, and it's only going to get worse in the US as we have been printing money like crazy.

But yes "false demand" is the reason that no one can keep discs in stock...

you're starting to convince me I should never buy another pro sig disc. :| please get in touch with the good folks keeping the game going that just buy what they will throw. pretty please??
sheesh.....

Ricky is a big enough star that he can probably "request" DD create whatever type of disc he wants. The Innova Wysocki Tour Pig isn't the same as the other Innova Pigs....it had a flatter top. He could easily say to DD, I want an approach putter as close to the Wysocki Tour Pig as you can legally make. Do you think they would say no - you have to use what we have available?

Let me tell you about the old time days way back in 2016 and 2017….

He won two world titles with the Harp. I don't think he's horribly worried about having some sort of Pig clone in his bag.

The Dynamic Discs Slammer was 3 | 3 | 0 | 3 with a thumb track. Maybe resurrect that mold? Rick will probably just throw the harp tho.

Are you saying that the sport won't grow unless we buy their discs?

I only buy the food i plan to eat, the car I plan to drive, the clothes I plan to wear, etc. Buying discs I will throw is still putting money into the sport. It sounds like maybe you are trying to justify hoarding.

I make a point to sponsor some local tournaments every year and buy one or two tour discs or other commemorative discs. You participate your way I'll participate mine.

In general, are Ricky fans …fans of the player or fans of Innova? Curious to watch his putting with Daggers. Supposed to be legendary. I should look up old tournaments.
I was a big fan of Ricky before he was with Innova. I used to cheer for him and against Paul when I first got into disc golf.

When Paul when to Discraft and Ricky went to Innova I suddenly became a Paul fan and cheered against Ricky. It happened without thinking into it much. I've realized I think of Innova sponsored players as the equivalent of the Yankees or the Patriots. Has more to do with Innova than the player itself.

I'll likely start cheering for Ricky again after this move.

Latest posts