• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River Pro

Oh yeah, this is one beefy little River. :D

Anyone tried to bomb them 300+ in headwinds? Figure it might be stable enough and am happy about 1 mold 2 disc DD bag.

I'm surprised these are coming out so OS. What is the difference between these and the retooled sparks?

I'm surprised these are coming out so OS. What is the difference between these and the retooled sparks?

From what I gather, they weren't intended to be so overstable. Indeed, even in this thread there are reports of varying stabilities. One of my friends who is Westside sponsored got the Trilogy Challenge discs awhile back and has said his River Pro is not nearly as overstable as some people say (disclosure: he's a straight-up bomber so that could be a factor) so it appears there is at least some variance across the run.

I was really looking forward to this disc, but from at least these initial reports it seems like the Pine might be the best disc of the three...

They are not overstable. At least not in the general sense that we think of Teebirds as being stable but not overstable. They will be overstable for people playing the Trilogy Challenge expecting beginner discs. They are not Firebirds, Felons, or the like. They are however very resistant to turn and will fade at the finish. For a strong arm, these will be a great primary fairway. For slower arms, they will be more useful for utility or headwind days. Just like everything, your arm speed will dictate how these fly. But again I will repeat what I saw from some much bigger arms than myself. New, these won't turn over with good form, will fly a long way, but will finish to the left of center.

Sounds like it might be a nice disc for us that aren't so fond of the "trilogy glide". I'll definitely have to check it out!

They are not overstable. At least not in the general sense that we think of Teebirds as being stable but not overstable. They will be overstable for people playing the Trilogy Challenge expecting beginner discs. They are not Firebirds, Felons, or the like. They are however very resistant to turn and will fade at the finish. For a strong arm, these will be a great primary fairway. For slower arms, they will be more useful for utility or headwind days. Just like everything, your arm speed will dictate how these fly. But again I will repeat what I saw from some much bigger arms than myself. New, these won't turn over with good form, will fly a long way, but will finish to the left of center.

Interesting point, then overstable is reserved for the 10 discs out there that actually have a positive turn rating?

I guess one should start referring to HSS and then fade value rather than "stability".

For distances around 270' I need to flex this disc. It definitely fades earlier than my slightly used Saint Pro and OOB Frost Saint when thrown at same power.
I haven't thrown it more than 7 times but I would put it between the Rival and the Teebird.

Gonna bomb it over 300' flat release to get a more exact flight pattern in my head.

^I would be interested in this disc flying "stable" at 350'+, so hearing that it handles or needs a flex shot at 270' doesn't worry me at all.

Lots of things I hear make me think this disc would be overstable, but flight videos I've seen make it look like a stable-overstable Teebird. I have no interest or need to replace Teebirds as I think they are perfect, but I'm definitely intrigued to try this out.

^I would be interested in this disc flying "stable" at 350'+, so hearing that it handles or needs a flex shot at 270' doesn't worry me at all.

Lots of things I hear make me think this disc would be overstable, but flight videos I've seen make it look like a stable-overstable Teebird. I have no interest or need to replace Teebirds as I think they are perfect, but I'm definitely intrigued to try this out.

I think I have more Teebirds than any other mold except maybe wizards. I kinda the standard for stable straight flight and not Considered OS. Makes me think a lot of people talking about the River pro being super OS haven't thrown a brand new Teebird in a while.
If 300' is bombing a fairway then a brand new Jen Allen is going to have to be a flex line to get there as well.

I've just fallen in love with opto and fusion trilogy plastic and I could see them bumping Teebirds from my bag which are right now the only non-trilogy discs above speed 4 I carry.

I think I have more Teebirds than any other mold except maybe wizards. I kinda the standard for stable straight flight and not Considered OS. Makes me think a lot of people talking about the River pro being super OS haven't thrown a brand new Teebird in a while.
If 300' is bombing a fairway then a brand new Jen Allen is going to have to be a flex line to get there as well.

I'm right there with you on the bolded part. I love Teebirds and have many types. A fresh Champion (my preferred version of Teebird) sounds a lot like a River Pro. I can see how newer players or players without the requisite arm speed could consider a disc of that stability to be pretty overstable. I've certainly seen some players using Champ and even Star Teebirds the way I use the Raptor from RDG.

So that gives me a little more hope for the mold as the varied reviews roll in. I've posted it before in this thread, but it is worth nothing again that there is a decent amount of variance in the discs released for Trilogy Challenges, Ace Race, et al. We have to remember events like these are serving to debut these new molds and as such are still working out the kinks for the eventual production run.

I've posted it before in this thread, but it is worth nothing again that there is a decent amount of variance in the discs released for Trilogy Challenges, Ace Race, et al. We have to remember events like these are serving to debut these new molds and as such are still working out the kinks for the eventual production run.

This is tricky though unless someone has thrown a few of them. If each person has just tried one, then the difference between a 300', 350', and 400'+ thrower is the difference between a disc of this type of stability (I imagine) being OS vs. power fairway vs. trustworthy fairway.

I'm sure there is some variation out there but if McCabe isn't flipping them and says they are OS then at least some of them are pretty OS. I really like the spark and was hoping these would work well with them, but it looks like they would compete. Maybe the production run will be less OS.

I'm sure there is some variation out there but if McCabe isn't flipping them and says they are OS then at least some of them are pretty OS. I really like the spark and was hoping these would work well with them, but it looks like they would compete. Maybe the production run will be less OS.

Yeah I wasnt looking/hoping for a Teebird replacement, nor was I looking/hoping for a Raptor replacement...and it sounds like the River Pro falla between the two. That isnt a gap that Im hoping to fill.

Regardless of all that, this should still be a fun event to play in!

Definitley a spot I've been looking to fill. Been using a Beat Saint Pro for understable shots, and my longbowman for slightly OS. The River Pro fits right in between these to. Eventually the goal is to get one broken in enough to kick the Saint Pro out of my bag completely.

Finally got my hands on a river pro and was able to throw it on 3 holes today at my local league. Typically on the holes I would power down on a thunder bird and throw it flat and get a nice hyzer finish. So with the River Pro, I powered up on it a bit more, and it flew the exact same lines, or very close to it, as my thunderbird. Really like the disc. Probably has a touch less glide then a normal fairway of the same speed, but it makes up in torque resistance. Definitely going to be staying in the bag for awhile. Definitely filled a hole in my bag. Right in between my longbowman and saint pro. Can't wait for it to start to break in.

I've just fallen in love with opto and fusion trilogy plastic and I could see them bumping Teebirds from my bag which are right now the only non-trilogy discs above speed 4 I carry.

I'm sorry that my meter to feet converting is a bit off, I also overestimated the stability of the disc after a couple of throws and didn't expect to get it further than 300'.

I find it closer to the Rival than the Star Avery Teebird, a slightly overstable workhorse where the fresh Teebird is the meat hook of my FD's.

Fits perfectly between my Frost River and the Teebird.

I threw an Opto River a few times, and I recall thinking it flew a lot like an Eagle L. (That's a very flattering comparison coming from me, but also the reason that I don't need a River in my bag.)

If the River Pro is a more stable/slightly OS version, I'd personally hope that they hit something like the Eagle X. I am personally happy to cover all of my fairway slots with various Eagles. River/River Pro could possibly be a similarly awesome fairway pairing.

Latest posts