• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

road trip from maine to georgia

Maine focus

Planning a winter trip to warmer climates aka south, roughly planning to head to the international disc golf center and back. looking for input on courses that are must play on the way down and back. We are going to take our time (like 3 days down & back) really want to hit as much as we can. I know there are some epic courses in the carolina's and other states, but since locals would know better than me any suggestions are appreciated.

Keep in mind we are probly going to head down the coast highway style so nothing to far out of the way. don't have the exact timing for the trip yet but if any peeps want to catch a round / show us your course along the way i'll update this post once we have the details ironed out.

Really just want to play as much good golf as we can, any help is a plus:thmbup:

Definitely worth spending some time in Charlotte, there are several courses worth playing all within a pretty small radius. The Augusta and Atlanta areas either direction from the IDGC have some cool places to play too. I don't know if Flyboy will be open, but if it is you should make every effort to play there, it's my top course out of almost 550 played.

You can only play with Kelly guiding you, he's more willing to work around your schedule if you stay the night in the Bed and Breakfast but if he's around when you are he'd likely be willing to guide you.

Metro-Atlanta area:
Yeah, Flyboy is great-got to make reservations though. It is about an hour west(ish) of Atlanta. East Roswell Park is about 20 minutes north of Atlanta, and is pretty good-very technical with mild elevation changes. Sandy Creek, in Athens, GA, is also good, and has a little of everything. Indian Creek is east of Atlanta, on the way to Augusta, and is good-elevations and technical. McCurry and Mosely parks are about 30 minutes south of Atlanta, and are pretty good-mix of lightly wooded holes and long bomb fairways.
Once in the greater Augusta area:
IDGC is awesome, of course. Try to get in both a glow round and a mini round while you're there. Patriots's and Riverview parks are pretty good-mostly technical. Lake Olmstead is great, but can be brutal if you don't bring your A game. North Augusta is pretty good too, what with the Hippodrome and all. Pendleton King is a beautiful bird sanctuary course, and has a nice monument in it.

Notes:
Flyboy takes pretty much all day to play one round, and will wear you out. Sandy Creek is a little out of the way, but is a nice 24 hole course. Indian Creek is right off I20, so it's a must play when going to Augusta. If you start early, and play one as a glow round, you can play all 3 IDGC courses in one day, but it will drain you. The Hippodrome is mostly novelty, but Pine Valley Hogback is pretty tricky in some parts. Lake Olmstead is amazing at dawn, and very inspiring. I favor Riverview over Patriot's, but both are challenging. Pendleton King isn't a hard course, but is fun, and very pretty. I'd pack a picnic for it.

Metro-Atlanta area:
Yeah, Flyboy is great-got to make reservations though. It is about an hour west(ish) of Atlanta. East Roswell Park is about 20 minutes north of Atlanta, and is pretty good-very technical with mild elevation changes. Sandy Creek, in Athens, GA, is also good, and has a little of everything. Indian Creek is east of Atlanta, on the way to Augusta, and is good-elevations and technical. McCurry and Mosely parks are about 30 minutes south of Atlanta, and are pretty good-mix of lightly wooded holes and long bomb fairways.
Once in the greater Augusta area:
IDGC is awesome, of course. Try to get in both a glow round and a mini round while you're there. Patriots's and Riverview parks are pretty good-mostly technical. Lake Olmstead is great, but can be brutal if you don't bring your A game. North Augusta is pretty good too, what with the Hippodrome and all. Pendleton King is a beautiful bird sanctuary course, and has a nice monument in it.

Notes:
Flyboy takes pretty much all day to play one round, and will wear you out. Sandy Creek is a little out of the way, but is a nice 24 hole course. Indian Creek is right off I20, so it's a must play when going to Augusta. If you start early, and play one as a glow round, you can play all 3 IDGC courses in one day, but it will drain you. The Hippodrome is mostly novelty, but Pine Valley Hogback is pretty tricky in some parts. Lake Olmstead is amazing at dawn, and very inspiring. I favor Riverview over Patriot's, but both are challenging. Pendleton King isn't a hard course, but is fun, and very pretty. I'd pack a picnic for it.

Thanks for the info, so much golf down there, got to weed out the stuff that isn't worth it. definatly gave me a bunch of courses to look into thanks again:thmbup:

If Augusta & Charlotte are on your itinerary, a little backroads deviation between them will get you to Stoney Hill. It's reservations-required but, with advance notice, we should be able to schedule you.

If your intention is to drive to IDGC and back, that puts the rest of Georgia, including Flyboy, a little out of range. They would invove driving several hours beyond Augusta.

Does your 3-days-there, 3-days-back plan include extra days in Augusta? You could easily fill 2 days, perhaps 3, on quality courses there.

Not sure what "coast highway" route you're considering. Is it I-95 to S.C., I-20 across S.C. to Augusta? That'll miss Charlotte and a lot of the Carolinas' better courses. An option might be to make a loop by going through Charlotte and up I-77/I-81 on your return trip.

Latest posts