• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road Trip from SoCal to the Great Northwest

getthepuckout

Hey everyone
Couple friends and I are heading up to Portland Oregon for about a week. We are driving up and want to take our time, hitting up courses along the way. Any must play courses along the 5 heading through California?

Once in Oregon we are going to check out Dexter Park. That really is the only one we know we want to play so far.

Thanks for any input

Last edited:
For sure play Milo and whistlers in Oregon. Both are better than Dexter imo. Black butte is a fun course off the 5 in Cali.

California
Worth a stop - Hart Park - Bakersfield, East La Loma Park - Modesto, Oak Grove-Stockton, Rocklin City Park - Rocklin, Anderson River Park - Anderson, Dog Island - Red Bluff, University of OB - Weed.
Must Play - Black Butte Lake - Orland, Peregrine Point - Chico, Shady Oaks - Orangevale
Oregon
If you don't play Whistler's Bend you should just turn in your discs now and take up a different sport.

Bail on the 5 and take 101. You'll hit much much better golf. All the way to Oregon...

IDK ther are not that many courses on 101 once you pass Eureka and into Oregon. I5 through Oregon you have several. Grants Pass, Whistler Bend, Cottage Grove (was pretty new when I played it. So I'm not sure what it's like now), Dexter, Albany, Pier Park, Milo etc...
I know there is a course in Corvallis. So you could make the drive from Eugen to Corvallis and then up to Albany to play those courses (never played either).
Have a blast! Oregon and Washington have some of the best courses I've ever played. The quality and the beautiful surroundings are hard if not impossible to beat.

In Oregon I'd recommend stopping at whistlers bend. It's fairly close to I-5...it will be a couple hours before you get to Eugene (where Dexter is).

Once you are in Portland check out Pier Park

IDK ther are not that many courses on 101 once you pass Eureka and into Oregon. I5 through Oregon you have several. Grants Pass, Whistler Bend, Cottage Grove (was pretty new when I played it. So I'm not sure what it's like now), Dexter, Albany, Pier Park, Milo etc...
I know there is a course in Corvallis. So you could make the drive from Eugen to Corvallis and then up to Albany to play those courses (never played either).
Have a blast! Oregon and Washington have some of the best courses I've ever played. The quality and the beautiful surroundings are hard if not impossible to beat.

Once you pass Eureka I'd head for grants pass on the 199 and then to grants pass

Let me know if/when you plan to play Black Butte Lake or Peregrine Point.

Hey everyone
Couple friends and I are heading up to Portland Oregon for about a week. We are driving up and want to take our time, hitting up courses along the way. Any must play courses along the 5 heading through California?

Once in Oregon we are going to check out Dexter Park. That really is the only one we know we want to play so far.

Thanks for any input

Dexter is my home course, always worth a stop. If you are in the area for the day, also worth taking a 20 minute drive to North Regional in Cottage Grove, a nice complement to Dexter. However, as suggested already, you have to stop at Whistlers Bend before continuing North to Dexter, no question.

Continuing North, stop at Adair for sure, Bryant Park in Albany if open (seasonally closed for water) before heading to Portland.

Milo and Pier are the mainstays on most Portland lists, along with the Hornings trifecta. If in the Hornings area for a while also consider Stubb Stewart.

But, any Portland disc golf list has to now include Blue Lake Regional Park. IMO, right after Milo, before Pier and Horning's. It's different for Oregon as many courses here are in the forest (Milo, Horning's, Stubb, Dexter, etc) and Blue Lake is more of the "city" park experience but on a huge scale. Long and long, accuracy essential with mowed fairways, most long grass is OB. Centerpiece for 2014 Pro Worlds, don't miss it. $5 to park, well worth it.