• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner

2020 most stable Roadrunners? Barsby Star, Flat Champion, other?

Looking for a 9/5/-3ish/1 Roadrunner. Something to hyzer flip where new Sidewinders are too close to Valkyries.

Looking for a 9/5/-3ish/1 Roadrunner. Something to hyzer flip where new Sidewinders are too close to Valkyries.

Halo, by far. They're pretty much Roadrunners in name only.

I'd be cautious buying a Roadrunner as of late without seeing it, A lot of them have big weird poptops, not just a large dome, but a popped up center.

I ordered a Barsby, came with the pop top and was more stable than my champ Valk. Went and pawed some new ones in the shop, and half had that weird pop top.

Just a heads up

I'd be cautious buying a Roadrunner as of late without seeing it, A lot of them have big weird poptops, not just a large dome, but a popped up center.

I ordered a Barsby, came with the pop top and was more stable than my champ Valk. Went and pawed some new ones in the shop, and half had that weird pop top.

Just a heads up

I had the same experience ordering one directly from him with his chipped tooth stamp on the bottom. Very domey and very overstable for a roadrunner.

I trimmed the flashing off with a razor blade on my new champ 175 RR and it's more like -2/1. It didn't have a lot of flash but it made a nice difference. It was maybe -1/1.5 before. It's flatter, shallow dome.

I think INNova is popping out discs as fast as possible now and are even caring less about QC.

I trimmed the flashing off with a razor blade on my new champ 175 RR and it's more like -2/1. It didn't have a lot of flash but it made a nice difference. It was maybe -1/1.5 before. It's flatter, shallow dome.

I think INNova is popping out discs as fast as possible now and are even caring less about QC.

That's my thought too, but it really doesn't bother me that much. I personally like the variety of stabilities I can find in one mold. Innova still sells much more plastic than any manufacturer, so it's hard to really compare the QC. Once another manufacturer starts selling as much as innova, we can probably get a better gauge on if innova's QC is really that bad, or if that's just what's bound to happen when you're pumping out that many discs and on tight production schedules.

Word on the street is Halo's are stupidly stable/overstable. I can speak for other runs. Recently revisited the RR after a very long hiatus, I'm a new man relative to the mold.

Barsby Star>Champ>stock Star>Gstar for sure. I prefer mine flat or flat-ish though I'm fine with my Barsbys...they have a uniquely glidey yet more overstable flight to them than other plastics. What's fun is that it's increased HSS or better put a lack of turn...the fade isn't abrupt at all. Off the shelf for true -3 I'd say Gstar without hesitation. If you plan to work the disc in a bunch and then get your -3, well, it's dependent on how quickly you'll beat one up.

I'm a Champ fan personally, which takes longer to beat, but we all have our feel preferences. FWIW I own old pearlies, regular old and new Champ, and some "jolly launcher" plastic which all varies slightly. I can't recall how far you throw but even the bombers (pending form) can handle a new Gstar. Yes the jolly launchers are my most overstable Champ RRs.

Just a heads up

Barsby wanted them that way, a beat one is super glidey and easily manipulated like an, "old freshie" that you've already become accustomed to. Just sayin'

Yay, Innova QC at work :clap::clap::clap:

I seldom disagree with you, see above;)

Last edited:
Word on the street is Halo's are stupidly stable/overstable.
Barsby Star>Champ>stock Star>Gstar for sure.

Can confirm. I bag a Halo Roadrunner for forehand drives and backhands in mild headwinds. It doesn't turn at all with 320' of power, it's straight-to-fade.

When it came in I thought it was just my noodle arm not getting it up to speed. To test that out I let one of the bigger-armed local guys throw it a couple of times. He threw it on a high anny line with 400' of power, and it flexed out of it 75% of the way there. Ended up 80' left of where he was aiming. He looked at me and said "That's a really nice disc, but it's not a Roadrunner.'

Are Halos molding up to be that overstable in general, or is there a ton of flashing adding that stability?

Are Halos molding up to be that overstable in general, or is there a ton of flashing adding that stability?

They're really just overstable for some reason. Flashing on them isn't really bad.

Received a 165 g champ roadrunner as part of the players pack for a family dg tourney I played with my daughter. Nice and flat and really grippy champ plastic. Took it to the field today and this is the easiest distance I've ever thrown. Need to look at google earth to see how far but man this thing bombs. Love the fact that it is a speed 9 and has a nice, comfortable small rim.

After about a year and a half my E* RR has made its way home. I did have to buy it back off the used rack at a local shop but its home. I had not been able to find a roller disc that work as well as this one did. Have you guys ever found one of your discs on the used rack before?

Yeah it has happened a couple of times. Crazy thing is the course was MILES AWAY from the used rack...

I was looking for a Roadrunner to serve as understable complement to a Star TL (stable fairway) and Plasma Insanity (S-curve fairway). All drivers in the upper 150s, creaky old guy losing distance, etc.

For me, 158 G* Roadrunner is exactly what I want after deflashing with a few slides across the parking lot. Controllably understable, little to no finishing fade, easy to hyzer-flip, and plenty of glide. I'm hoping it seasons to be a touch more understable, which would open up opportunities for hyzer-flip to late-turning lines.

The only other RR that flew like this for me was an older, well-seasoned Star, but I don't want to be dependent on a disc that can't be easily replaced.

So I expect the G* RR to be in my bag for a while.

I was looking for a Roadrunner to serve as understable complement to a Star TL (stable fairway) and Plasma Insanity (S-curve fairway). All drivers in the upper 150s, creaky old guy losing distance, etc.

For me, 158 G* Roadrunner is exactly what I want after deflashing with a few slides across the parking lot. Controllably understable, little to no finishing fade, easy to hyzer-flip, and plenty of glide. I'm hoping it seasons to be a touch more understable, which would open up opportunities for hyzer-flip to late-turning lines.

The only other RR that flew like this for me was an older, well-seasoned Star, but I don't want to be dependent on a disc that can't be easily replaced.

So I expect the G* RR to be in my bag for a while.

How would you compare to Hatchets? I'd consider bagging some G* RRs for winter/snow golf if they are similar.

How would you compare to Hatchets? I'd consider bagging some G* RRs for winter/snow golf if they are similar.

Interesting question. I would probably still be throwing Tournament Hatchets if they were available in the 150s. Initially Hatchet has a fade, similar to a seasoned Plasma Insanity. But within a month or two the Hatchet would lose its fade and serve a similar role to the G* RR.

So I would say fresh, deflashed 158 G* RR is similar to a 2-month old 166 Tournament Hatchet.

Interesting question. I would probably still be throwing Tournament Hatchets if they were available in the 150s. Initially Hatchet has a fade, similar to a seasoned Plasma Insanity. But within a month or two the Hatchet would lose its fade and serve a similar role to the G* RR.

So I would say fresh, deflashed 158 G* RR is similar to a 2-month old 166 Tournament Hatchet.

Cool, I may keep my eyes open then. I don't really feel like losing my seasoned Hatchets in the snow and I also like softer plastic in the cold. So a G* RR may make the winter bag if I can find one in my preferred weight/dome range.

Latest posts