• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

robbed of an ace

Disc Golf Doctor

Par Member
How many of you have been robbed of an ace? The last weekend our course is open I hit a line that was so perfect it hit the pole and bounced out. Have you guys experienced this?

Fortunately I holed out on a 200+ foot shot 3 holes later too make up for it.

I've probably had 3x more shots that were in the basket/chains that didn't stay in, compared to those that did stay in.

More times than I can remember. Had at least 3 seemingly perfect chain smashes that didn't stick this year.

Agreed with the posters above me. It happens more often than you would think.

I have 2 aces... both on short holes. I've had plenty of shots smash chains on longer holes but they don't tend to stick.

On 1 hole I've hit metal 3 times and all 3 have 'stuck' (read: ace), yet on another hole I've hit metal 5 or 6 times and 'no go' on any of them. Obviously it is dependant on which gremlins I've paid off or not.

At a recent tournament, I smashed chains dead center on a 327ft, slight downhill hyzer with a gently sloping green. Not only did it fall out, it also did the slow roll about 60ft. No ace, no ace pot, not even a birdie.

I have 10 aces and probably 100 close calls, ranging from chain ticklers to center-cut smashes that didn't stick. Tournament chain outs off the tee hurt the most. Nothing like chaining out on a $400 ace pot.

If the disc is heading at the basket, I feel like it has a 5-10x bigger chance of hitting metal from cage up than from sticking. I've had so many chain outs, bounce backs, cut throughs on hyzers, hit top nubs, and even spike into the bucket and bounce out. I'm more surprised when they stick than when they bounce. I've had one non-putter stick from an air shot, and that was a MachX so it could handle it. Otherwise any of my non-putter aces have been skips, so they don't hit as hard.

Last edited:
If the disc is heading at the basket, I feel like it has a 5-10x bigger chance of hitting metal from cage up than from sticking. I've had so many chain outs, bounce backs, cut throughs on hyzers, hit top nubs, and even spike into the bucket and bounce out. I'm more surprised when they stick than when they bounce. I've had one non-putter stick from an air shot, and that was a MachX so it could handle it. Otherwise any of my non-putter aces have been skips, so they don't hit as hard.

I'm starting to think I got really lucky. The only time I've even hit metal was a screamer from 337' with an Opto-X River and it stuck.

I'm starting to think I got really lucky. The only time I've even hit metal was a screamer from 337' with an Opto-X River and it stuck.

That's an awesome shot. That's a bit lucky I think, but with it being a fairway driver at 330+ it probably slowed down enough by that point. That's a big shot though to run it from that distance with a fairway.

I think I"m about 10% of all metal hits being chains and about 10% of those sticking in.

One of my first near aces was a spike hyzer that bounced out of the bottom of the basket. But since those i'm in the camp that I would be more surprised if/when it sticks than doesn't.
Rough part for me is playing on courses with wicked sloped greens hitting metal usually means a big roll away. Lots and lots of near aces that turn into bogeys.

Hole 7 at Joralemon(#11 after the expansion and renumbering)
Perfect hyzer shot smashes center chains and drops in the basket.................. my buddy Ryan hears it from the next tee, runs over and pulls the disc out to read the name on it and immediately spikes it on the ground and runs off.

:D

Plus for tone poles: no bad spits.

I would say I am probably about even for the number of chain-outs vs aces. I have 8 aces and probably about the same number of chain-outs.

Now, if we're talking about metal hits such as the bogey band or the cage, then I would say I easily have at least 3 times as many chain-outs/bogey band hits/cage hits than I do aces.

Just yesterday, I chained out of hole 8 at Wills Park, but it's ok since it would only have been a Cubby ace anyway (no disrespect to Cubby... RIP). I also don't think I would call it being robbed of an ace either. In all likelihood, while it was a great shot that hit a whole lot of chains, it was probably just a little bit too far outside on the left side to have stuck. I would expect the same spit-out from a putt that hit off-center on the left side of the chains.

Thanks guys. This was cathartic. I guess the reason my ace earlier this year stayed in was that it was a skip shot.

Meh, I am at the I don't bother to air for obvious ace runs if going for best competing score.
Holes with distance and lines within my dialed in standstill comfort ranging zone. I fear the metal enough that I back off the distance to finish short with a near dead or a sliding finish towards the pole. Moreso on wooded greens. Scored me a CTP recently with a finessed slider with several OB longs on that hole throughout two tourney rounds. Not sexy. Looks feeble. Weak chatter from me on the card about holes having fast or slow ground approaches. Giving up on a lot of Ace Runs.

Guess I've been pretty lucky. All of the solid chain hits I can think of have stuck for me. No pole bounce outs or anything. I have 13-14 legit aces, and all are sub 300 feet and most are putter shots, that might have something to do with it.