• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

robbed of an ace

Guess I've been pretty lucky. All of the solid chain hits I can think of have stuck for me. No pole bounce outs or anything. I have 13-14 legit aces, and all are sub 300 feet and most are putter shots, that might have something to do with it.

I have found that that does make a big difference. I have hit several 200+ foot putter shots and can't recall a spit out. The disc doesn't have the same power behind it.

I've been pretty lucky. Only hit the chains five times, but four of them counted.

lol disc golfers are a funny bunch - myself included.

There's no such thing as getting "robbed" of an ace. Either you threw the disc at the correct trajectory, angle and velocity to have it go in or you didn't.

Only time I'd describe it as being robbed was a shot I had about 18 years ago, full chains, into the basket, and it was an old Mach II that the basket itself was slightly bent and the Shark fell through the basket bottom.

I don't know how y'all hit so many metals, only one I've hit was 220'ish with an E*TB on a FH and it stuck. I guess I get really unlucky, especially for a guy who has averaged 1 round a week every week for the last 4 years, if not more.

Only time I'd describe it as being robbed was a shot I had about 18 years ago, full chains, into the basket, and it was an old Mach II that the basket itself was slightly bent and the Shark fell through the basket bottom.

Well...that's just a basket in really bad shape. I *think* technically it is still an ace but I'm too lazy and its too early in the morning to scour the PDGA rules to find out.

I practiced on Tuesday. Backhand skip ace denied by the top of the front of the backet. Threw a second, smashed chains and came out. Double tease

Well...that's just a basket in really bad shape. I *think* technically it is still an ace but I'm too lazy and its too early in the morning to scour the PDGA rules to find out.

As long as you saw it fall through, it counts as an ace, in my opinion.

Unsure of official rules, though.

Technically, the new pdga rule talks about holing out requiring "entering the target area correctly" and "being supported by the basket assembly", or something like that. Defective basket is a problem obviously.

I suppose spiking a blunt gumputt disc straight down through the inside of an intact cage would also NOT be "holed out". Comments? :)

A couple years ago the ace pot at Mt Airy Tuesday singles was up over $800(not a lot of aceable holes on this course, especially for <950 rated players). In back to back weeks, I hit the exact same spot on the chains right under the top hooks on a mach3, on no8 a short downhill hole. Both times it looked like it hit a brick wall and fell straight down, brushing the cage on its way to the ground...:wall:

I don't know how y'all hit so many metals, only one I've hit was 220'ish with an E*TB on a FH and it stuck. I guess I get really unlucky, especially for a guy who has averaged 1 round a week every week for the last 4 years, if not more.

It's simple: git gud n00b

But really it's a couple things. First is random for me...I feel it comes in bunches. I'll have a couple week period where it seems I hit metal 5+ times. Then I can go a month without hitting metal. The last couple years I'll go nearly a full year without an ace and then get a couple in a month. It goes in bunches for me and I have no idea why.

The other that was really eye opening for me...I know I guy who has 60+ aces and it was simple: he TRIED to ace. I'm always trying to park it or go for a safe run with a hyzer line or skip shot. He just would laser at the basket. First time he told me he had that many aces I thought he was full of it, but over the course of a year just playing with him moderately regularly I saw him get at least 3 aces and hit metal a ton of times, along with a lot of runs where you hold your breath. It makes a huge difference just going for it, even if it means discing up and then having a 40' comebacker, if you're into that style of play.

My putting isn't good enough for me to even try for aces, so when I get one, it's always a mistake that turned out well.

lol disc golfers are a funny bunch - myself included.

There's no such thing as getting "robbed" of an ace. Either you threw the disc at the correct trajectory, angle and velocity to have it go in or you didn't.

I don't know. Hitting dead center chains seems to fall into "getting robbed" in my book.

I don't know. Hitting dead center chains seems to fall into "getting robbed" in my book.

I find it amusing that we throw flexible plastic discs that bend under stress and then springs back into shape when the stress is released then are shocked when we hit a (mostly) ridgid object and the disc ricochets off of said rigid object.

Seriously, we hit a tree at a buhzillion miles and hour with our discs and accept the fact that the discs will often go careening off into whatever direction but at the same time call it "getting robbed" when the same discs at the same velocity pops out of a basket. The center pole is even more rigid than a tree. The chains have a limit on how fast of a disc they can catch based on the size and mass of the links. They really aren't meant or designed to catch the 50 mph drives they're meant to catch the close range putts. It's just mere chance that the disc sticks in the basket off of the drive. If you want a basket that will consistently catch the 50-70 mph drives off the tee you're going to need anchor chains and then whine that the links are too heavy for putting.

It's not getting robbed...it's called physics.

Never had an ace. I've hit all parts of the basket, including the chains but never had one go in. Someday...

"Robbery"

How many of you have been robbed of an ace? The last weekend our course is open I hit a line that was so perfect it hit the pole and bounced out. Have you guys experienced this?

Fortunately I holed out on a 200+ foot shot 3 holes later too make up for it.

Tee shots hitting parts of the basket and failing to go in, chains included, happens to me multiple times a year, and better disc golfers probably monthly. This is part of disc golf; keep playing - the better you get, the more often this will happen because you'll start getting more familiar with the lines at your local course, but the aces will start dropping in eventually, and it's a pretty cool feeling when it does. I went 8 years between two of my five lifetime aces, but it wasn't for lack of accuracy - I was still hitting the basket & even chains at roughly the same clip I always had been.

Post a pic in the ace thread when it happens though!

Never had an ace. I've hit all parts of the basket, including the chains but never had one go in. Someday...

This is me too. I've hit the basket and/or chains at least 15 times without having one stay in for an ace. Only one leaves me bummed - I was playing a round with my two kids and had a skip 270' shot hit the pole dead center and come out (it was like the chains weren't even there - it was the weirdest sound). Only time where I think I was truly "robbed", mostly because it would have been cool for the boys to see my first ace. Most of the courses I play don't have a lot of real ace runs (and I'm usually trying to get them close versus run them anyhow) so I may never get one!

Most of the courses I play don't have a lot of real ace runs (and I'm usually trying to get them close versus run them anyhow) so I may never get one!

This is really one of the things that makes people's ace counts something I generally shrug off. What kind of course are these aces coming?

My regular home course and the courses I play most at home have 2 or 3 real ace runs most people can hit. I've splashed chains on all of those but none stuck. There are more that those who throw 30-50' further can hit, i've hit metal or chains on most of those. There are a couple more than really big arms can reach and i've been within the circle but have seen people hit metal. I guess this means its a pretty easy course.

I've been playing on a couple recently where a lot of the pin positions are only reachable by big pro level arms and all but one of the ace runs reachable by most arms is huge risk reward... like miss the ace and have 60-100' second shot that may hit a hill and roll back to you. Another course the ace pot is getting huge because there is really only 1 hole reachable by everyone and that is going to be a very tough non-skip, the few others only one really could be called an easy ace run and it is a 300' that plays more like 330'.
Then I've been playing at a pitch and putt. Fun course, GREAT for my short game but the drives are like second shots on short par 4's. Some people count the aces on this course in their total count... I understand at one point an ace is an ace... but playing 5 rounds on a 9 hole course with "drives" of 150' and talking about the 3 aces in one day?