• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc V. Buzzz

Roc or Buzzz?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like the roc better. The main reason is that it is a midrange disc and the roc is more of a mid range than the buzz. I want my mids to float and land soft with very little or no skip. The other thing I love about the roc is I can buy it in DX plastic and it wears very slow. I hear people talking about the buzz coming in better plastic all the time, but I like my rocs in the cheaper plastic so I can control the wear on them to mold a perfect mid disc. I have one chapion roc that is my stable mid. I have 4 DX rocs that range from very understable to stable. Even though they are DX rocs, they wear very slow. My KC roc has been in my bag for 3 years and still flies strait with a little fade at the end.
Don't get mids confused with drivers people. Mids are ment to be very flexible. It is important to throw mids that can beat up and flip for you. Not for off the t-pad, but for those inbetween shots. If you need to throw a soft shot that has to turn over, good luck with a high grade plastic buzz.

This.
I just cycle Dx Rocs though

I like the roc better. The main reason is that it is a midrange disc and the roc is more of a mid range than the buzz. I want my mids to float and land soft with very little or no skip. ... If you need to throw a soft shot that has to turn over, good luck with a high grade plastic buzz.

Re:bolded part
In that situation, I'm throwing a turnover putter, and see a lot of players that would do that too.

Re:rest
A lot of players do prefer to throw shots that the buzzz excels at more than the roc. I would rather throw something low and fast so that if it does happen to nick a tree it doesn't have a lot of room to kick deep into the woods off the fairway. Also, paired with the right putters and fairway drivers, the buzzz fits nicely in the middle, where the roc might overlap more with those putters and not be close enough to the fairways.

This is a never ending debate. Some like the buzzz, some people like the roc. I now use an axis instead of a buzzz. I do like to skip roc(k)s across lakes though. :)

I have thrown the buzzz, and wasps for 4 years, and the drone about 2. I have thrown a 12 kcp roc a few rounds, but I personally like the "hive." Reason being, I like straight shots. Ive played 30-35 courses, and theres not many open holes where I can really float a roc. I found to get distance out of a roc you have to get it up in the air quite a bit, whereas a buzzz or wasp you can put on a rope and get more distance. The z buzzz has a very slow and smooth turnover thats very controllable, the esp buzzz will turn just a touch and come back for a straight finish, and a glow buzzz will be dead straight with a touch of fade at the end. 3 plastics of buzzz's cover all the shots I need. I use the wasp for slight headwind straight/turnover shots, and drone for big hyzers or stiff headwind shots. All thrown on a line that don't need a lot of oxygen underneath of them to go places. Again, I have little experience with rocs, but I don't see where they "excel" over the buzzz. Plus, you don't have to cycle them. My buzzz's do the same thing now that they did 4 years ago. I also carry a z comet, best mid ever. Versatile, and flies for days with little effort :)

......If you need to throw a soft shot that has to turn over, good luck with a high grade plastic buzz.

Max wt 12x KCP Aviar right here. I can't see throwing a mid soft. Mids are for longer distances that require a little umph. Not hating on the roc b/c like I said before, I have little experience with it so maybe I'm a little biased, but the hive and aviars have worked well for me

Wow... wading through Roc/Buzzz threads is like getting teeth pulled... without novecaine! :sick: I didn't want to start a new thread just for my little bit of information and this was the most recent thread of the sort that I could find. Thanks for the help. Rube!!! :thmbup:

I've been thinking about this for while now and just made a decision yesterday. I've been carrying a Star SM Roc and an ESP Buzzz for some time now. (I also carry Stingrays in Star and DX plastic for my understable discs and a an ESP Hornet for my more overstable disc.) So I've been thinking about the overlap of my Roc and Buzzz as I'm working on my bag.

They fly so similarly for me that I decided to "de-bag" one to open up a slot for something else. The main difference is that occasionally, I flip the Roc a little, probably because of my form, but I never flip the Buzzz. So I decided to keep the Buzzz in my bag. I'm holding onto my Rocs, just in case it doesn't work out. But, for me, they were so similar that I really wanted to remove some of the thought process on which disc to throw when it was between the two.

Now, to really confuse the issue... The Stingray is my favorite mid. In the Star plastic it's not nearly as flippy as my DXs (or really very flippy at all). So for Christmas I got a Super Stingray to try since it's flight appears to be very similar to the Buzzz. I'm hoping that I really like the grip, like I do on my normal Stingrays. I haven't gotten to throw it yet... but here we go again. :D Thoughts? Wish me well!

Last edited:
I have every flavor of buzzz and I really like my esp.
still just learning my flx and flx glo buzzz though
yesterday it was 21degrees when we started, so the flx felt pretty good.
I just don't think there is a better disc for that spot.
*But there is a lot, that I don't know about disc golf

(I have a few rocs of different flavors and just can't get into them, I like my wasp better.)

They are not at all the same. The Thread should of been Roc VS WASP.. Then you can argue for which ever you wish. And what roc are we talking about?

They are not at all the same. The Thread should of been Roc VS WASP.. Then you can argue for which ever you wish. And what roc are we talking about?

Yepppp, agree. WAY to many rocs. Frankly I think its stupid. People talk about the different destroyer molds and hate on innova for that, but theres 10x as many rocs as destroyers. So roc vs buzzz is vague. But I like the buzzz. Consistant run after run. I can pick up an esp buzzz today that feels the exact same and flies the exact same as the one I bought in '09. Can't say that about a roc

Now, to really confuse the issue... The Stingray is my favorite mid. In the Star plastic it's not nearly as flippy as my DXs (or really very flippy at all). So for Christmas I got a Super Stingray to try since it's flight appears to be very similar to the Buzzz. I'm hoping that I really like the grip, like I do on my normal Stingrays. I haven't gotten to throw it yet... but here we go again. :D Thoughts? Wish me well!

Every star stingray I have ever seen is the super stingray mold. It will not fly like your dx stingray because it is not the same disc.

Yepppp, agree. WAY to many rocs. Frankly I think its stupid. People talk about the different destroyer molds and hate on innova for that, but theres 10x as many rocs as destroyers. So roc vs buzzz is vague. But I like the buzzz. Consistant run after run. I can pick up an esp buzzz today that feels the exact same and flies the exact same as the one I bought in '09. Can't say that about a roc

Your saying an esp buzz flies the same as a d buzzz that flies the same as an x buzzz that flies the same as a z buzzz? You must be high.

Every star stingray I have ever seen is the super stingray mold. It will not fly like your dx stingray because it is not the same disc.

I just double checked my discs. The "nose" of the Super Stingray is definitely "beefier" than that of any of my other Standard Stingrays, whether in Star or DX plastic. The taper on the top of the disc is also smoother on the Super Stingray than on the others. On the others, they're kind of shaped like the ship from the Lost in Space TV show. They slope up a good bit at first, and then change to a softer angle into the domey top. The Super Stingray is more of a rounded/gradual curve into the domey top.

I'm hoping that the Super will be more stable, like my Buzzzs. I really like the grip and shallow rim. Not that I have a problem with the Buzzz. I also like to throw Stingrays because I have a friend who is really irritated by what I can make them do. :D So one more in my bag would be a lot of fun!

Thanks for posting!

you keep over paying for rocs while my $12 buzzz pures the tunnel

yeah but we can get bar stamps!!! i do like the new RanchoC3 mold but a buzzz is just a great disc....Roc might be better to learn on and then goto the buzzz/comet or replace comet with glidey flip monster of your choice.

Latest posts