• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc vs Buzz

Drewford

I know these discs are different, but which is better for a first midrange? I have been playing a little while and personally prefer the roc now, but I didn't start throwing one until after I had been playing a couple years. I have friends that are new to the sport and I want to give them the best suggestions possible. I just wonder what other opinions are out there.

Honestly, I don't think that you could go wrong with either. They're both superb discs. The roc will be more OS out of the box than the buzzz. If I was beginning and knew what I know now, I'd start with a Buzzz and learn to shape lines with it.

That said, I throw Rocs now. I think that in different stages of beatness it's more my style. I like the fact that it's slower than the Buzzz.

Pick what ever you like. I started out with the Buzzz, had 4 of them and they all flew different! And folks have the nerve to complain about Innova inconsistency! Found a beat in KC Pro Roc once and I've never looked back. All the Buzzz's are long gone.

I bag both and love them both. Personally, I couldn't throw a roc (and many other mids) until I fixed issues with my OAT. That said, a complete newb will probably not have the best form and a roc might just dive right for them. A buzzz will handle form issues better I feel like.

That said if the person in question is a beginner and wants to get better with their form get a DX roc. If the person is a complete newb and it's their first time playing, I'd say a z buzzz, bc a roc with OAT will prob make them hate the disc forever.

i beat my dad using a roc3 round 1 (which I am not a fan of and had only thrown one time) and a cryztal buzzz round 2, he used the same roc3 round 2 and the same buzzz round 1.
scores:
me: -13
dad: -12

tell them to get a theory, ghost, ibex or vaccine instead.

I have friends that are new to the sport and I want to give them the best suggestions possible. I just wonder what other opinions are out there.

The best suggestion possible would be finding a disc and plastic which they just like the feel of and is not super OS or fast. Too many buzzz/roc like mids out now to limit just to those 2 discs IMO.

Buzzz is straighter, better for a newb IMO, also cheap & relatively easy to find in Z plastic - perfect for a new player, who will be hitting a lot of trees
I believe the best (easy to obtain) 2nd disc you can buy on day 1 is a Z Buzzz in 160-165g range (to save your base plastic putter from getting tree beat). It's that or a premium plastic second putter.

Z Plastic ftw. ;) Start out with the Buzz SS, then add a regular Buzz and finally add a Buzz OS. Those 3 discs will allow you to shape pretty much any line you can dream of.

Started with a Z Buzzz, went to a Champion Roc3, went back to my Z buzzz shortly after. The Roc3 was beat in, just never felt right for me so I traded it off for a few drivers. If you're a fresh newb, go with the Buzzz in my opinion, great flyer and you can do pretty much anything with it. Also may check out the Truth, I bought one a few weeks back and the buzzz hardly sees playing time anymore.

It depends on what your friends goals are. If he wants to take disc golf somewhat seriously and get better then he should probably start with a roc and/or comet. These discs are slow and really need some good releases to get the best out of them. I personally have used all three (comet Buzzz and roc) but I tossed the rocs because I don't like the multiple stages of wear philosophy when it comes to base plastic. Sometimes I'd have shots missing simply because certain discs were not as broken in. I switched to discraft mids and never looked back. Comet fell out of my back simply because I carry three mids that cover everything the comet can do and a putter that handles those pretty touch shots.

As far as Buzzz being inconsistent? I've really only seen it between different plastic types and weights. I've handled a few esp Buzzz and they all flew the same. Same thing with z.

Also you could look into the mako, I couldn't find a buzzz at my local pias (shocking but they are fairly disorganized and buy a lot of discs from a lot of companies)... So I bought my bro a mako and he loves it.

I would second the Mako for a first disc. I think a Panther, Coyote or Comet are good suggestions too.

The Buzzz will offer a cleaner release for new players who aren't used to a bead.

They are also more forgiving to bad form/torque.

Heck, if they're beginners, the inconsistencies in their game will outweigh the differences between these discs. Just getting them any decent midrange is a step in the right direction, one that a lot of beginners skip. It's not as if they'll be committed to whichever disc for the rest of their disc golf career.