• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc vs Buzz

not even close. :)

comet is gonna give newbie some distance they crave.

They are very similar in my opinion with a Theory being even easier to throw for a new player. Comets are tangent like and don't let you get sloppy. Plus it looks way damn cooler bro:D

I had a buzzz, but it had too much fade for me. I also have a roc3 and this disc is very straight. However, I like my 180g Prodigy M4 better than both of them. It is very slightly understable, but the heavy weight fights that for the most part. I can actually throw this as far as some of my slower distance drivers if I have no ceiling.

Heck, if they're beginners, the inconsistencies in their game will outweigh the differences between these discs. Just getting them any decent midrange is a step in the right direction, one that a lot of beginners skip. It's not as if they'll be committed to whichever disc for the rest of their disc golf career.

For real, first two or so years of my disc golf journey are pretty much invalid. I carried a dragon and whippet (tomahawk and flick) and maybe a putter. Did nothing for my game until i picked up a buzzz and decided to start right there with that and a wizard and no more tomahawking...

I never liked the Rocs, especially when I first started playing. I could not throw it and it made me dislike mids in general. Yes, I had form problems and could not throw the damn thing properly anyway. I also bought a Mace/Fuse combo, a Gauge ( too Mako like ), tried a Mako that I bought a long time ago ( I hate that Disc! ), a Skeeter was my first mid of hatred that I got in my first set of discs those long 3.8 years ago. You get the picture, I really did not like mids!

Retired them all, I played better with just fairways and putters anyway.

I went mids-less for a long time and ordered a DX Cobra for my re-introduction. The Cobra was nice and shallow like the fairways I was using and I did not have the problem of my fingers hanging up and causing shank shots. I like understable plastic too. Learned to throw it and with a little seasoning am able to rip on it for a nice almost straight shot with no fade.

A few months I bought my first Z Buzzz, and loved it from the first throws. That disc does its job at full power and moderate power. Easy to throw straight and has a nice subtle fade. Even in the Z plastic in a 169 weight.

Just a few weeks ago I bought my first Comet, Z plastic in a 168 ( thanks Qstic333 ). Nice disc, tons of glide, powered down it has a straight flight with touch of fade. Powered up I get a nice straight flight and then a track right to finish right. I will confess I am a noodle arm and I was even over throwing the Comet at first.

There it is, I now bag three mids...Buzzz-Cobra-Comet, from more stable to less stable.

Sorry for my mid history but maybe it will help. Lastly, I throw RHBH by the way.

Last edited:
There it is, I now bag three mids...Buzzz-Cobra-Comet, from more stable to less stable.

Sorry for my mid history but maybe it will help. Lastly, I throw RHBH by the way.

More straight to less straight???????????

OP throw what feels good in your hand. Don't fall into the "it's gotta be (ROC, Buzzz,.....)"
There are several good mids out there, you just got to find what works for you.

Heck, if they're beginners, the inconsistencies in their game will outweigh the differences between these discs. Just getting them any decent midrange is a step in the right direction, one that a lot of beginners skip. It's not as if they'll be committed to whichever disc for the rest of their disc golf career.

This. Don't over think it here you can't go wrong with either a roc or a buzzz....or many of the others mentioned in this thread.

Myself - I've gone back and forth between my Roc3 and my Buzzz several times over the past few months. Most of that time I've bagged both. Started with a GStar Roc3 and it was my workhorse mid for a while. Picked up a big z buzzz on a whim. It slowly worked its way in...and was starting to take more and more shots away from my roc3. Then I tossed my roc3 into a pond, so i didn't replace it...buzzz won by default. Then a month later someone actually returned it (++karma to them) and I decided to ribbon it up for winter golf as i like the gstar and didn't want to lose my now beloved buzzz. And....we had several weeks of no snow....but i'm still reaching for that roc3 instead of the buzzz more often than not, depending on the type of flight i need.

I actually think i'll be keeping both in the bag come spring when it is all said and done...i just can't decide and have a few different shots for each.

More straight to less straight???????????

OP throw what feels good in your hand. Don't fall into the "it's gotta be (ROC, Buzzz,.....)"
There are several good mids out there, you just got to find what works for you.

Sue me...:doh:...it was a long post!

More straight ( with a fade ) to least with a right turning finish OR

I should have said...More Stable To Very Understable :D.

^You mean more neutral? :rolleyes:

@Drewford - pick whichever is more comfortable in your hand. I personally prefer the Buzzz (mostly due to feel/grip) but that doesn't mean you will. They're two of the 5 highest selling discs of all time for a reason!

@Drewford - pick whichever is more comfortable in your hand. I personally prefer the Buzzz (mostly due to feel/grip) but that doesn't mean you will. They're two of the 5 highest selling discs of all time for a reason!

This. I have both and have thrown both but I also prefer the Buzzz. It just feels better in my hand. I do have a glow Roc that I do use in the dark.

FWIW, I think the Roc is a little more OS.

^Yeah but if neither of those discs are comfortable to you why would you use them (I bag neither strictly based upon feel). I'm no McBeth but I'm not exactly bad without those molds;)

Warship is kind of like both. :\

It doesn't really matter, just don't get them a Wolf. :popcorn:

When was the last time the Roc or Buzzzmattered. Not since we had acces to Truths, Warships, Claymores and Fuses at least. And that isn't even counting all the MVP/Axiom discs. Times change. Nice knowing ya Buzzz and Roc. So long.

why does every 'x or y' thread turn into everyone ignoring the OP and into a brand preference projecting thread

why does every 'x or y' thread turn into everyone ignoring the OP and into a brand preference projecting thread

Because we all work for company 'z' and are trying to get you to buy our discs.

Started with a Roc and happy I did. Never had a problem with OAT as some have brought up. I don't think a Roc is hard to throw starting out. Maybe that is just me. Recently bought a big Z Buzzz for Christmas just to try and I'm not that impressed. The one I got is super flat and it makes me wonder why these two discs are even comparable. Forehand grip feels a little better on the Buzzz, but so far haven't seen it do anything better than my Roc. It doesn't hurt to try both, but start with the one that feels better in hand if you have the choice to get a feel for them.