• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roller Or Not To Roller...

I broke out a roller this weekend. Perfect scenario... I was playing Pinchot's Boulder Woods course and on hole 8, I threw into very dense young woods. There were a million thin little trees (almost like a bamboo forest) around me. I could never toss out and the canopy was too low for a hammer/tomahawk. So, I threw a nice roller... and it got out into the fairway about 30 feet off the basket. Very happy with that play.

Also, "Wikipedia doesn't say round things roll so they must not," is the funniest argument I've seen in a long time.

haha, wow dude you are so smart because that was my exact argument. I was simply showing the definition of a frisbee, i never once said what you said i did. Good job bud

my favorite 150 was a raven (i wrote NEVERMORE on the back of it, in case anyone found it) ... unintentionally , it would roll like crazy at the end of my terrible throws :)

While it is true that they check Wikipedia, they only delete what is intentionally listed as false. If I where to go on the "frisbee" page and add that it will obviously roll as easily as it flies because it is round, they would be unable to dispute this and would leave it.

While it is true that they check Wikipedia, they only delete what is intentionally listed as false. If I where to go on the "frisbee" page and add that it will obviously roll as easily as it flies because it is round, they would be unable to dispute this and would leave it.
Not only as easily, but farther, too.

haha, wow dude you are so smart because that was my exact argument. I was simply showing the definition of a frisbee, i never once said what you said i did. Good job bud
So your argument is that just that a definition of Frisbee exists on Wikipedia?

In case you're wondering, most definitions of Frisbee from dictionaries inlcude both throwing and catching:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/frisbee

If you're all into these definitions so much, why argue that a golf disc is a Frisbee when clearly they are not intended to be caught? Frisbee is also a tradmark of the Wham-O corporation. Any disc not made by them, by definition, is not a Frisbee. I haven't found a definition of the word "disc" that includes anything about them not being intended to roll.

i feel like rolling is the equivalent of putting the whole way down the fairway in golf. if it is the only shot possible then i understand but people who roll on every hole i don't think that is fair.

I will use whatever throw will get me to the basket quickest, by quickest I mean fewest throws so hush lol. I've tossed discs upside down to slide under branches or down snowy holes. Clearly not how they were intended. As to people throwing rollers on every tee ... go ahead I'll beat you. Well as long as the course isn't designed for rollers, or if it's really windy, or if you're really good. But other than that....

If you're all into these definitions so much, why argue that a golf disc is a Frisbee when clearly they are not intended to be caught? Frisbee is also a tradmark of the Wham-O corporation. Any disc not made by them, by definition, is not a Frisbee. I haven't found a definition of the word "disc" that includes anything about them not being intended to roll.

Yo garubla whatever the hell your name is, please tell me you have friends that call a frisbee a "flying disc"...no, i didnt think so and if you do then you need to find some new friends. it has been adapted as the name for pretty much all flying discs as well as a trademark of a corporation.

In any case, the best way to learn to roll is to go to a soccer field or something and practice. The courses I play in Philadelphia / Allentown / Delaware are rarely well groomed enough to make the roller a favored shot, but there are a few low canopy holes at Tinicum where the roller is by far the best option. I use a Kite but many people favor the Stingray; both are well balanced and will roll straight assuming you land them properly.

In any case, this video shows some of the technique in slow-mo. For the backhand roller, you'll usually need a sharper angle to get it down to the ground quicker... his long flight has a lot of room for error. http://youtube.com/watch?v=H1QVLQriAlM

Just my opinion, but a roller is a shot in your bag that can be an advantage over your opponent. I only throw forehand rollers myself, and usually only to get myself out of a jam, or a low ceiling, not off of every tee. I recently played a course in Charleston SC., and Micheal Johannson <a tour player rated at ~1020> was in the group in front of us. He had thrown a backhand roller down a fairway where the hole was ~540. He was able to get it about 60ft from the hole, and just missed the birdie putt. Everyone else in the group threw, then had to make approach shots. All ended up taking 3's on the hole, but he did have a look for a 2. My point is that rollers are a skill shot, just like forehand, backhand, thumbers, etc.... I am envious of those who can backhand roller that far, and accurate. I can forehand roller a shot a max of about 400 ft. HOWEVER, there is always a chance it can hit something, a stick, a slight bump, a fire ant mound, then it changes the whole shot.

Yup, for long distances, rollers are high-risk (due to bad hops and changes of direction) high-reward (due to the extra distance you can get). For short distances like trouble or canopies, rollers can be lower risk than backhands or flicks but, for me, don't go as far. Sounds like typical disc golf decision making to me!

Yo garubla whatever the hell your name is, please tell me you have friends that call a frisbee a "flying disc"...no, i didnt think so and if you do then you need to find some new friends. it has been adapted as the name for pretty much all flying discs as well as a trademark of a corporation.
Of course we call them discs. So does nearly every player I've seen at or heard about attending a tournament. It's also the generally accepted term on every disc golf message board (this one included) that I've seen. Don't get mad at me if your weird definition argument didn't pan out the way you expected. If part of the definition of "Frisbee" is that it's a trademark of the Wham-O corporation, shouldn't that be part of your argument if you're using the definition to try to prove something?

You know it is great to give your views and reflect on the discussion, but have a flame war and throwing out derogatory remarks is not really enhancing the topic. I would rather read more of your insights than your insults.

Come on brothers, "Can't we all just get a long." ;) Show some love in the room already. You know shake hands, say "yeah, yeah, OK great", give each other noogies, and then would someone finally tell me how to throw one these darn things already. I hate not knowing how to do something. :eek:

The video was ok, but I still am not understanding how someone can throw this and keep it from just making a big circle. Does the wind have something to do with it, or I am i just roller challenged? :D

sure donovan

sure donovan it sounds like a plan. we can all get along. i dont feel like bitching anymore. its not worth it anyways, ya just get more bullshit spit back at ya anyways.

The video was ok, but I still am not understanding how someone can throw this and keep it from just making a big circle. Does the wind have something to do with it, or I am i just roller challenged? :D
It's a matter of the disc having enough speed when it hits the ground and having it hit the ground at the right angle. You don't want the disc to land straight up, it will need to land at an angle and will stand up on its own.

It's sort of like throwing a hyzer flip. Too much hyzer without enough speed and nose down will get you a pure hyzer, too much speed and nose down without enough hyzer angle will get you a turnover. Just the right amount of all those will get you a really great, straight shot. Some discs have a larger sweet spot than others.

The trick is to find that balence for any given disc. I'm far from a roller expert, but the ones I've talked to recommend heavy, understable midranges for learning rollers. I can say that my best accidental rollers have been with these types of discs.

It's a matter of the disc having enough speed when it hits the ground and having it hit the ground at the right angle. You don't want the disc to land straight up, it will need to land at an angle and will stand up on its own.

It's sort of like throwing a hyzer flip. Too much hyzer without enough speed and nose down will get you a pure hyzer, too much speed and nose down without enough hyzer angle will get you a turnover. Just the right amount of all those will get you a really great, straight shot. Some discs have a larger sweet spot than others.

The trick is to find that balence for any given disc. I'm far from a roller expert, but the ones I've talked to recommend heavy, understable midranges for learning rollers. I can say that my best accidental rollers have been with these types of discs.

The touch thing makes sense. I tried a very of these the other day in a field...and I think I am getting the idea. Now I just need to find the disc I want to use for this shot, so I can get really good at it.

My choices are (aa I only carry 4 discs at the most at this time):
DX Dragon - uhhh no!
Champ Sidewinder - possible
SSoft Magic Putter- uhhh no!
X Stratus - this really where I am thinking of leaning toward at this point.
:confused: :rolleyes: :D

The touch thing makes sense. I tried a very of these the other day in a field...and I think I am getting the idea. Now I just need to find the disc I want to use for this shot, so I can get really good at it.

My choices are (aa I only carry 4 discs at the most at this time):
DX Dragon - uhhh no!
Champ Sidewinder - possible
SSoft Magic Putter- uhhh no!
X Stratus - this really where I am thinking of leaning toward at this point.
:confused: :rolleyes: :D
The Stratus should be about perfect. Once you start getting the hang of it I've heard the Sidewinder works well, too.

The Stratus should be about perfect. Once you start getting the hang of it I've heard the Sidewinder works well, too.

Thanks for the info brother.

Latest posts