• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roller question

Marmoset

* Ace Member *
I like rolling massively overstable discs. I like the lines they take and their resistance to standing up/ flopping over.
Right now I like rolling a Champ Firebird.
I have also noticed that my Champ Boss rolls much further than my Firebird. I'm assuming it is because of the speed increase and the narrower nose.

So now I'm wondering about rolling the Max... has anyone compared a Max to the slower overstable drivers?
I'm specifically wondering how slowly they stand up.

the boss goes farther from its increased speed as well as from the increased weight in the rim causing a better qyroscopic effect. This keeps the disc spinning longer.

I like the champ boss as an overhand roller but I have a friend that uses the Max and rolls that thing hella far.

The star max is my current roller disc. I can only compare it to a teebird and a spirit as far as overstable discs go. It's a pretty legit roller disc in my opinion. I'm getting nearly 500 on it and the line is really consistent. It doesn't start turning left (RHFH) until near the end, where it does almost a 90 degree turn and stops. Very controllable.

tigel said:
The star max is my current roller disc. I can only compare it to a teebird and a spirit as far as overstable discs go. It's a pretty legit roller disc in my opinion. I'm getting nearly 500 on it and the line is really consistent. It doesn't start turning left (RHFH) until near the end, where it does almost a 90 degree turn and stops. Very controllable.

wow what angle are you releasing the disc around 30 degrees as a tomahawk no? 500ft is nice! i need to work on this big time my firebirds do this but they seem to never stay up they love to go left way early and i cna't control them....btw i just started throwing rollers.

Its more of an extreme anhyzer released forehand. What's taken me so long is finding how to position my body to throw as hard as I can (for most spin) but to also keep it at that 30 degrees so I don't turn it over right away.

The disc literally flies horizontal for about 60-80ft before hitting the ground.

Today I actually went up a tree about 20 ft haha. Rollers are my favorite throw by far. I'm not an expert though.

Marmoset,
My experience with FH rollers is pretty limited to trouble shots, but I have thrown some with many discs, including the Max, FireBird, and my fave, the Flick. I think the Max and Flick are very similar FH rollers, so my personal choice is the Flick, it feels better in the hand to me. I would say that FireBirds aren't as fast, but they keep their head better, and don't seem to get as acrobatic as a Flick. Toss up for distance for me, 3-400 for any of them. Vince Whorley uses Eagles for his rollers, and he absolutely kills them, so I would say that anything can work. Do you think the Bosses will stay overstable after some use? Keep us posted on the durability.
KP

NoMoreTinCup said:
Do you think the Bosses will stay overstable after some use? Keep us posted on the durability.
KP
Good question. I dont throw that many rollers yet!
I am about to order some Flicks (175g and 150g) and a Max; we'll see how those go.

BH I use a my esp surge's and FH I use an esp force (an overstable force). I know the force generally isn't a massively overstable disc but the one I'm rolling with has replaced my predator. Throwing the force FH I easily reach 400' and push 500' more and more.

I had always heard that you supposedly wanted to use an understable disc for throwing rollers. I never considered using an overstable disc for that. With the overstable disc rollers, do you only want to try that throwing forehand, or will they work with a backhand throw?

ForeverBlue232 said:
I had always heard that you supposedly wanted to use an understable disc for throwing rollers. I never considered using an overstable disc for that. With the overstable disc rollers, do you only want to try that throwing forehand, or will they work with a backhand throw?
You can roll overstable discs backhand but it tends to take sick snap and a huge arch in your back which can lead to injuries. I try every now and then but the stars have to align just right before it is useful...never consistent enough to do it when it matters but backhand rollers with overstable discs go longer for me and don't go right as fast when I get it right.

Understables and overstables will both work for rollers, whether you roll 'em FH or BH.

Understables will turn themselves untill they hit the ground, overstables will take more force and technique to hit the ground at the appropriate angles.

I prefer overstables because they stand up much slower which gives them more distance potential.
If I throw a Firebird and it lands at a 80° angle, it might take 5 seconds for it to stand-up straight. Then it will roll out in a larger, sweeping circle.
If I throw a Leopard at the same speed, snap, power and angle, it might take 2 or 3 seconds to stand-up straight and begin a more compact rollout.

The slowest disc I have found (in regards to stand-up speed) is a Champ Boss. If I hit at the same 80° angle I mentioned before, there's a good chance it will never stand and actually finish with a reverse direction rollout. I think that might be because of the speed of the disc. That is why I am asking about Maxes and Flicks.

Latest posts