• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Rollin Roadrunners

hangwind

Eagle Member
Give it up.

I've been learning rollers, right hand backhand.

I'm not doing so bad, I am rolling them farther than I can throw Blizzards and shaping the rolls to turn like I want. That's what the shot does when you throw it.

I'm throwing backhand. If I am lining up with the tee pad, I'm back in the right side, I'm standing in the back corner and I advance on a line that angles left of target to the left corner of the tee pad and I throw across my chest with a pretty good angle like 60 degree release and out with the disc going to the right and straight out about 75 - 100' with the disc biting in and standing up rolling. It keeps rolling and standing up toward the left of the basket then stands up straight and starts to curve in a big right hand arch and slows down rolling and continues to circle, falling over on its flight plate, the underbelly up. Yeah.

The Star Innova Roadrunner and good rolling weather (dead compact short grass with hard earth below) are awesome. Someone here recognizes this disc, this technique and are gettin her done.

I am throwing (rolling) this thing farther than my throws. If I get good at this, I'm going to start competing because I might actually be competitive.

On grass courses.

Old man throwing but I use those Blizzards and light drivers so I don't stink anymore.

Dude, nice to have a great roller in your bag. It's happening for me. I'm doin it and the Roadrunner is a bad azz disc. Effin great roller disc.

You?

Attachments

• user2454_pic19945_1328663020.jpeg
    user2454_pic19945_1328663020.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 216
Try to find someone that does it and watch them. The videos of it are good and all but nothing like someone right there doing it in front of you. It is an amazing shot, it is disc golf, not a poor form thing. You throw the disc, it rolls and for some reason, the shot is shapable by the way you throw it. It rolls like it is flying, that's kind of how I look at it.

There is nothing funky about the Roadrunner, it is a good rolling disc, it works.

I roll sidewinders, virtually the same disc. You should be able to roll around 20% further than your air shots.

I roll sidewinders, virtually the same disc. You should be able to roll around 20% further than your air shots.

That seems like a good calculation. The percentage can be higher if there is no approach from above. You know this stuff...

I have not forehand rolled the Roadrunner.

Monarch is second choice, Sidewinder is third but either or will do it.

This is a workable disc, I'll throw it right backhand too.

Roadrunners are great rollers. They really teach you how to control your roller. If you start out with something that is more stable then you won't get the control part of a roller.

I use a champion roadrunner and star stingray for turnover rollers.

I use a champion beast for straight and cut rollers.

I will also roll a gateway voodoo (putter) for short rollers that I might need to turn pretty hard.

I also think the 20% rule is also a good rule of thumb.

Randy also crushed a roller 1,156 meters to triple the old non-turf roller record of only 365 meters (a turf roller is on grass and a non-turf roller is not on grass, the non-turf distinction was made just because of Big D I's results). He beat Mark Molnar by about 16 meters. At this distance throws are difficult to measure so it may have measured a meter or two longer. A note about these rollers, they did travel 1,156 meter or 1.156 kilometers. You may want to get into your car and drive that distance to see how far it actually is. The ground is so flat that the discs travel under there own power for about 300 meters and then they take up wobbling side to side, still standing, for the remainder. It would have gone farther but it ran out of smooth lakebed. You still need to be able to throw far to get them to go 1000+ meters but the old record of 365 meters was done with an Aviar Putter!

From the link above.

So if you're going purely for distance, BH rollers are where it's at.
Oh, and a tip: the longer it airs our before rolling, the farther it's going to go in general (assuming you threw it with proper form).

Yes, I am seeing that.

It's sort of a weird looking shot, the disc goes long and right and bites in heading left and standing up! Then it goes and goes and goes, depends on what is at the end but if it's flat, then mine turn right and little circle at the end tipping over belly up.

The roller is even more of a disc throw than ever...

I am so glad I have a good mentor in learning these. It is easy to get defeated, you HAVE to throw the right disc and throw it the right way or your disc just burns off rolling way perpendicular to where you really want it to go. And man do they find the downhill line if you aren't throwing them correctly, they'll just find the water and roll right in.

Randy also crushed a roller 1,156 meters to triple the old non-turf roller record of only 365 meters (a turf roller is on grass and a non-turf roller is not on grass, the non-turf distinction was made just because of Big D I's results). He beat Mark Molnar by about 16 meters. At this distance throws are difficult to measure so it may have measured a meter or two longer. A note about these rollers, they did travel 1,156 meter or 1.156 kilometers. You may want to get into your car and drive that distance to see how far it actually is. The ground is so flat that the discs travel under there own power for about 300 meters and then they take up wobbling side to side, still standing, for the remainder. It would have gone farther but it ran out of smooth lakebed. You still need to be able to throw far to get them to go 1000+ meters but the old record of 365 meters was done with an Aviar Putter!

From the link above.

Randy Lahm had an absolute cannon.

I have rolled a RoadRunner in the past. I like how controllable it is. I found lately that rolling more stable plastic gets you longer rolls. For instance, I am now rolling a beast and it is working out good. It doesn't stand up as fast and when it does it still has good amount of distance left.

Roadrunners are great rollers. They really teach you how to control your roller. If you start out with something that is more stable then you won't get the control part of a roller.

I use a champion roadrunner and star stingray for turnover rollers.

I use a champion beast for straight and cut rollers.

I will also roll a gateway voodoo (putter) for short rollers that I might need to turn pretty hard.

I also think the 20% rule is also a good rule of thumb.

I also use a beat in Champ Beast for my straight rollers.
I occasionally use a Star Roadrunner to roll with. However it is rare that I attempt a roller, at least from the tee.

I have a 175 champ roadrunner I use as my go to roller. I have had 3 different champ RR's all have been great as rollers. Haven't picked up a star RR yet, any more UNDERstable?