• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rolling Ridge Wisconsin to Flip City Michigan via SS Badger Ferry

DavidHood

Driving North from Louisville Kentucky to Rolling Ridge Wisconsin. Throw there and take the SS Badger Ferry across to Flip City Michigan. Camp there and drive home. On the road 14 hours total. How's that for an epic DG weekend? Discuss.

I might consider playing a Ludington course like Leviathan versus Flip City if you can only play one unless your goal is to knock off two of the DGCR Top 10 courses.

Flip City is not to be missed if you have the option.

Also, Rollin' Ridge. I'd go play Winter Park if you have the time, as well.

Last edited:
How much wiggle room will you have time-wise? You could add Silver Creek in Manitowoc before you catch the ferry across, too.

Or Stoney Creek is on the way to Rollin' Ridge. Don't let the old page for the course on here fool you...by the end of this summer it'll be a top 5 course in WI.

Driving North from Louisville Kentucky to Rolling Ridge Wisconsin. Throw there and take the SS Badger Ferry across to Flip City Michigan. Camp there and drive home. On the road 14 hours total. How's that for an epic DG weekend? Discuss.

Some of the Wisco crew has been talking about ferrying across to our side several times; it ends up being prohibitively expensive and has not occurred.

But you're right...how cool?

I might consider playing a Ludington course like Leviathan versus Flip City if you can only play one unless your goal is to knock off two of the DGCR Top 10 courses.

I would second this. Nothing against Flip (it IS like the DG Field of Dreams), but if you're looking "epic," then Leviathan Black tees is the best bet.

Living in Michigan, I've often contemplated the reverse of playing the Ludington area (of which Flip is considered by the locals), then taking the Badger across to Wisconsin. The cost seems too steep for me at this point.

So yes, jealous of your weekend.

I would offer the suggestion of playing some of the other courses in the Ludington area. Based on your preference: Leviathan has three tee positions. Mason County Park has three courses: Beauty, Beast & Goliath. Labyrinth is a shorter course (fun as hell & great confidence booster). There's also Whiskey Creek & The Edge. And all have 24 holes.

Have fun!

Boy, I would hate to see anyone not make Ludington a destination. Given the amount of time the ferry and drive take, I would consider looking at two trips. I am sure the Rolling Ridge are has more than enough area courses to spend more time, and I am positive Ludington does. I think anyone who comes to the area and only plays Flip, is simply short changing themselves. The list The Shide provides is top shelf quality golf. No disrespect to the Rolling Ridge area.

Boy, I would hate to see anyone not make Ludington a destination. Given the amount of time the ferry and drive take, I would consider looking at two trips. I am sure the Rolling Ridge are has more than enough area courses to spend more time, and I am positive Ludington does. I think anyone who comes to the area and only plays Flip, is simply short changing themselves. The list The Shide provides is top shelf quality golf. No disrespect to the Rolling Ridge area.

I made the Flip City pilgrimage 2 years ago, also played Ludington, Whitehall and Scottsville courses.

Agree that you are missing out if you only play Flip City, but if I had to choose one it would be Flip.

Rollin'.

Rollin'.

It's Rollin' Ridge.

But yeah, Rollin' Ridge, Winter Park, Silver Creek, and Stoney Creek would make for one hell of a couple days. With three permanent sets of tees and baskets, you could play Rollin' Ridge for three days and not play the same layout twice.

I've made the ferry trip in 2014. I started from northern Indiana, drove 4 hrs to Rollin' Ridge, played it 2 days in row; it's great!
The Silver Creek course very near the ferry was over rated IMHO. The ferry took 4 hours and doesn't have A/C which I could have used being exhausted from golf during a hot week. I stayed the night in Ludington and drove 2 hrs north to Hickory Hills DGC in Traverse City. since I'd been to Flip 5 other times. The ferry is good way to avoid Chicago traffic, it's not cheap but worth the experience.

In other years I have played the Mason County courses and Leviathan. Flip is way better than them and I didn't like Leviathan.
The Mason complex is a great day though. Flip is just special.

Last edited:
I've made the ferry trip in 2014. I started from northern Indiana, drove 4 hrs to Rollin' Ridge, played it 2 days in row; it's great!
The Silver Creek course very near the ferry was over rated IMHO. The ferry took 4 hours and doesn't have A/C which I could have used being exhausted from golf during a hot week. I stayed the night in Ludington and drove 2 hrs north to Hickory Hills DGC in Traverse City. since I'd been to Flip 5 other times. The ferry is good way to avoid Chicago traffic, it's not cheap but worth the experience.

In other years I have played the Mason County courses and Leviathan. Flip is way better than them and I didn't like Leviathan.
The Mason complex is a great day though. Flip is just special.

Just curious...did you play the longs at Silver Creek? They've also expanded it to 36 holes recently.

Latest posts