• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2-day Lake Michigan Circle Tour

apdrvya

Marketplace Guru
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So, B3nder and I are planning another epic dg weekend in June we will be starting in Grand Rapids, MI very early morning saturday and driving to Manitowac, WI to play (in order):
Silver Creek
Rollin Ridge
Winter Park and
Standing Rocks

Camping in Lac Du Flambeau (near sandy point) and playing:
Sandy Point
The Tailings (replay, Iron River)?
City Park (Iron Mountain)
Community Park (East Jordan)
Skinner Park (Houghton Lake)

I know that day 2 is weaker than day 1 but I need these three to help me get back to 100% in michigan. Is there any of the courses in DAY 1 that I should replace with another? We will probably get into manitowac at between 7 and 8 am so the milwaukee/madison courses are out. My only concern is Standing Rocks as it's 33 holes and the routing looks madly confusing.

so, if you're into maps, here is Day 1 and here is Day 2.

Please be candid about these, thanks!

So, B3nder and I are planning another epic dg weekend in June we will be starting in Grand Rapids, MI very early morning saturday and driving to Manitowac, WI to play (in order):
Silver Creek
Rollin Ridge
Winter Park and
Standing Rocks

Camping in Lac Du Flambeau (near sandy point) and playing:
Sandy Point
The Tailings (replay, Iron River)?
City Park (Iron Mountain)
Community Park (East Jordan)
Skinner Park (Houghton Lake)

I know that day 2 is weaker than day 1 but I need these three to help me get back to 100% in michigan. Is there any of the courses in DAY 1 that I should replace with another? We will probably get into manitowac at between 7 and 8 am so the milwaukee/madison courses are out. My only concern is Standing Rocks as it's 33 holes and the routing looks madly confusing.

so, if you're into maps, here is Day 1 and here is Day 2.

Please be candid about these, thanks!

How do you drive around Lake Michigan and play 8 courses in 2 days?

Sounds cool! Wish you guys luck!

Hit me up this summer when you're on our side of the mitten.

~ Stony Creek is adding another 9 to make 2 eighteen hole courses
~ Riverbends redesign and additional 9 is nearing completion
~ Addison Oaks is getting updated
~ 2 new courses in the area are being built
~ Mill Creek will be ready to play
222823_g.jpg

those are just off the top of my head...
100% played is awesome btw

We played 11 courses in 2 days last year from grand rapids to ironwood to Houghton to Marquette to home... It's not easy... But it wouldn't be fun if it were easy.

It makes more sense to do Silver Creek, Winter Park and then Rollin' Ridge. You do realize that Day one has you playing Two 27 hole courses, One 36 hole course and an 18 but the Ridge could be played easily as 36 holes if not 54 just with the 3 different tee pads. So, with that being said time frame wise, i would skip Standing Rocks and play Treehaven(No replacement but a fun play).

It makes more sense to do Silver Creek, Winter Park and then Rollin' Ridge. You do realize that Day one has you playing Two 27 hole courses, One 36 hole course and an 18 but the Ridge could be played easily as 36 holes if not 54 just with the 3 different tee pads. So, with that being said time frame wise, i would skip Standing Rocks and play Treehaven(No replacement but a fun play).

yeah, we can play up to 100 holes in a day... not concerned with the number of holes persay.

Last Sept I drove 4 hours from northern Indiana to Rollin' Ridge/Manitowac area. Rollin' Ridge is spectacular while Silver Creek was very under whelming. I'd play all day at RR and skip SC if ever
in the area again.

Winter Park takes it out of you, just letting you know up front. That first day is ultra ambitious. I'd listen to Shuie and take out Standing Rocks. Play Winter Park, then hit Silver Creek, then Rollin' Ridge, and camp there. Great facilities on site, including a bar and shower. Plus, you're going to want to play RR more than once. I'd build the second day from there.

Silver Creek will be the easiest on the body of those three...

Or take out Winter Park and hit Dretzka/Brown Deer in Milwaukee, head up to SC, then go to Rollin' Ridge.

Don't skip Winter Park!!! Like StarDoggy says its just really taxing golf. I myself set up brutal road trips and your first day seems ALMOST to much. Its gonna be a lot of rushing. I would compare it to playing Beauty, Beast, Leviathan and Hickory Hills all in one day!! If you want a guide for Winter and Rollin' Ridge, i'd be willing to help show ya around.

Don't skip Winter Park!!! Like StarDoggy says its just really taxing golf. I myself set up brutal road trips and your first day seems ALMOST to much. Its gonna be a lot of rushing. I would compare it to playing Beauty, Beast, Leviathan and Hickory Hills all in one day!! If you want a guide for Winter and Rollin' Ridge, i'd be willing to help show ya around.

Yeah I love Winter Park...I wouldn't want to skip it either. It's kind of a haul up there and back, though...even from Silver Creek. Two rounds at Winter Park usually puts me in pretty bad shape for the rest of the day.

If you do play Winter Park, I'd probably hit Silver Creek first, especially if it's a weekend, as it can get pretty busy there after about 11am. Winter Park is almost always near empty, and Rollin' Ridge isn't usually packed, either. It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere, even though it's on a busy highway.

Oh, and Beauty/Beast alone (with five of us) took us damn near a full day.

This is the first I've heard of this. Someone must have wiped my hard drive. ;)

Silver Creek is a solid course but skippable.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather play SC than Winter Park.

Rollin' Ridge is a must, obv.

Silver Creek is a solid course but skippable.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather play SC than Winter Park.

Rollin' Ridge is a must, obv.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a course. Silver Creek is a somewhat open, scenic park course, with many opportunities for scoring, especially from the shorts. Winter Park is a pretty grueling, up and down, heavily wooded course with the possibility of beating you down, even from the shorts.

Jeff/Carter, think of Winter Park as Beauty, but on Barry Bonds 'roids, and with tee pad options.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a course. Silver Creek is a somewhat open, scenic park course, with many opportunities for scoring, especially from the shorts. Winter Park is a pretty grueling, up and down, heavily wooded course with the possibility of beating you down, even from the shorts.

Jeff/Carter, think of Winter Park as Beauty, but on Barry Bonds 'roids, and with tee pad options.

Usually prefer beatdown over good scoring opportunities. That said, WP just didn't do it that much for me. The true challenge lies at the gold tees, and last I was up there they weren't much more than sandboxes (soft squishy tractionless messes).

Has that changed?

Usually prefer beatdown over good scoring opportunities. That said, WP just didn't do it that much for me. The true challenge lies at the gold tees, and last I was up there they weren't much more than sandboxes (soft squishy tractionless messes).

Has that changed?

Probably not. I didn't make it up there this year, but at my skill level, the blue tees are plenty tough enough.

Latest posts