• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rotator cuff

dyepb_16

Didn't know exactly where to post this but this seems as good a lace as any. I've only been playing for about 5 months and have recently been working on my form and disking down to make work on distance. I've been focusing a lot on my arm being fully extended back before I throw my disk. I have to throw my disk a bit harder to get the distances I need and my rotator cuff has started to hurt at the end of the day. I'm not I surprised since I'm moving my arm more with the further draw back and throwing harder. Does anyone else get this or has anyone ever got this? Any tips on how build up strength so it stops?

A) Stretch.
B) It kind of sounds like you're trying to muscle the throw too much. You should be letting the rotation of your body (driven by the hips) do most of the work.

A) Stretch.
B) It kind of sounds like you're trying to muscle the throw too much. You should be letting the rotation of your body (driven by the hips) do most of the work.

Sound advice. Concentrate on B.

I'm a grandmaster and I can throw all day without shoulder pain. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong.

You lift weights at all?

I know this is a question for the OP, but some weight lifting is good for anyone. I haul steel for a living, so strength isn't a problem for me. This may be an important option if the OP isn't doing any lifting.

I use my arm as a whip. I don't torque the shoulder or elbow at all. It's easier to get arm speed if the arm is relaxed (except for the grip) and your hips and body turn provide the power.

Last edited:
I know this is a question for the OP, but some weight lifting is good for anyone. I haul steel for a living, so strength isn't a problem for me. This may be an important option if the OP isn't doing any lifting.

I totally agree! There are great rotator exercises he can do, the main reason I asked was I have lifted weights for 15 yrs and I know at times over the years when working out and disc golfing I had pain show up during my season, unrelated to my throw.

I used to lift but not so much anymore. The pain I have is never all that bad but after a few rounds it is harder to get 100% power. Ill try to muscle it less, im sure that will make a difference. I'll focus on getting more rotation from my hips during my throw but I dont know if i will be able too.

A) Stretch.
C)FOLLOW THROUGH!

Just adding on. :)

Rotator cuff injuries are usually a tear in the cartilage that holds your humerus into your shoulder. I'd chillax on the throwing until it hopefully heals up, then ease back into the game with plenty of stretching and ibuprofen.

Sound advice. Concentrate on B.

I'm a grandmaster and I can throw all day without shoulder pain. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong.

No. The pain could also be caused by an old injury or degenerative changes in the shoulder, to name a few.

I have old rotator cuff injuries. My doctor recommended physical therapy, which in turn recommended resistance band strengthening exercises.

You might want to to the dr. It might be an empinged tendon. I had one in my should after hs baseball might have to get the bone in ur shoulder shaved down to get the pain to stop for good. A short term fix is a cordozone(might be spelled wrong)shot.

I agree with the Doctor visit idea. I'm a Exercise physiology grad student and one thing my professors stress about the rotator cuff is they are very small muscles especially compared to the other muscles in the arm and shoulder and they easily damaged especially in high motion sports. Better to be safe than sorry.

Doctor visit is always a good idea but in these shoulder cases an MRI is the only way serious injury will be detected, they will start will rehab, then x-rays, then mri, I'm 3 years out from surgery on a slap tear and honestly I'm no better than before, not sure how old the OP is but I'm 34 and wish I would have listened to my body at 24 lol

I'm 21, it sounds like a doctor visit may not be a bad idea. Before the pain was pretty dull and hard to tell exactly where it was coming from but i assumed it was my rotator cuff from playing so much. Although now i feel it more in my neck and shoulder muscles than anything. Right when this started happening was when i started working on my form more and I tend to move my neck and shoulders a lot more so I'm assuming its coming from that. For now im just gonna make sure i stretch more and if it doesnt go away in a week or two I'll prolly go to the doctor. Thanks for all the responses guys!!

^^^^
If your 21 and no major injury I would say its just playing a little to much, I wouldn't sweat it good luck!!

Yeah ive never had any major injuries to it where ive needed PT or anything. I did play lacrosse in highs school and it would sometimes be sore from shooting but it usually cleared up either overnight or in a day.

I'm just gonna make sure i stretch better for now on!!

I've had a torn rotator cuff for over 10 years and I might get surgery finally this winter. It along with a million BH technique flaws causes me some pain and not much distance, 200-225'. So I primarily drive FH. For me no pain with the FH.

Yeah I dont think its that since I'm feeling pain mainly in my shoulder and neck muscles. But ill stick with BH i cant throw FH to save my life lol.

Go see a good chiropractor, one that can adjust The spine, extremities and get deep into the muscles. You will feel amazingly better!

It's hard to say why you have the pain, since it could be a few reasons. Weight training is a good idea, but most people work the larger muscle groups instead of the "stablizer" muscles. Working these requires less weight and a diff technique. Your best bet is to get on the net and search for these techniques. Stretching of course (before and after) and the best thing of all....ice! After your round put some ice on that shoulder ASAP.
The rotator is a tuff area to heal due to all the tendons and muscles. So be careful and do your homework. The last thing you want to do is make it worse.

Latest posts