• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rounds with disc golf legends?

Brent Hambrick
Steve Wisecup
Dr Rick
Johnny Sias
Dave Greenwell
Sam Ferrans (my first round of my first tournament)
Rick Rothstien (sp chk)
A few more I can't think of

But this was before they were legends. I'm old and no I don't count.

Brent Hambrick
Steve Wisecup
Dr Rick
Johnny Sias
Dave Greenwell
Sam Ferrans (my first round of my first tournament)
Rick Rothstien (sp chk)
A few more I can't think of

But this was before they were legends. I'm old and no I don't count.

You forgot to put me on that list.:p

I have played with Disc Golf HOF member Johnny Sias on several occasions. He never disappoints and is the most incredible putter I have ever seen. It seems if he is within 40 feet, he hits the putt more often than not. Truly incredible.

Oh, heck, I've played with disc golf Hall-of-Famer and internet forum legend Chuck Kennedy. Do I get a bonus for that?

He didn't help my game---he's smart enough to see it's beyond help---but as you might guess from our post counts, we talked a lot. A lot.

I warmed up on half a dozen holes with Dave Dunipace and Sam Ferrans before a tournament. It was really cool.

If you live in the Pittsburgh area, chances are you have played with J Gary Dropcho. He is a HOF and the 2015 Worlds Tournament Director. I have met him, talked to him and was his random draw dubs partner. He is an all around great guy and a great thrower. He sure can putt too. Great at maintaining the courses in the area, most of which he designed, and an ambassador for sure.

If talking real legends (the age division), I played a practice round at the 1999 Pro Worlds in Rochester with Steady Eddie and Stork (their PDGA #s TOTALED 4--#1 and #3). Also played with a lot of DG Hall of Famers and many of the current elite pros--too many to list (it helps living in Charlotte as it is a destination area for DG).

Oh, heck, I've played with disc golf Hall-of-Famer and internet forum legend Chuck Kennedy. Do I get a bonus for that?

He didn't help my game---he's smart enough to see it's beyond help---but as you might guess from our post counts, we talked a lot. A lot.
In terms of non-playing legends - I've definitely enjoyed some golf with Chuck. We played a couple of times up at Highbridge Hills when I worked there one summer (2006, prior to the crazy-Abbie era this was during the crazy-Jason era). All told - as Chuck is from the Toledo area and went to the University of Toledo this resulted in him looking me up on occasion when he comes into town. Though disappointingly not in the past few years! (if you see this, Chuck, when are you in town next? I'm always down for burgers at Nick & Jimmys) What you said about talking and talking - definitely true. We're both yackers so we get on well talking about the game, the courses, the rating system, and so on.

I played a round with Geoff and Johnny Lissaman one time. The other guy in the group was Dave McCormack. Dave talked a stream of consciousness through the whole thing; the Lissaman brothers smiled and nodded and said maybe three words between them the entire time. Very nice, unassuming guys. Geoff had made a serious run at Climo and finished 2nd at World's just a few years before that, but he acted like just any regular guy you would run into on a disc golf course.

In terms of non-playing legends - I've definitely enjoyed some golf with Chuck. We played a couple of times up at Highbridge Hills when I worked there one summer (2006, prior to the crazy-Abbie era this was during the crazy-Jason era). All told - as Chuck is from the Toledo area and went to the University of Toledo this resulted in him looking me up on occasion when he comes into town. Though disappointingly not in the past few years! (if you see this, Chuck, when are you in town next? I'm always down for burgers at Nick & Jimmys) What you said about talking and talking - definitely true. We're both yackers so we get on well talking about the game, the courses, the rating system, and so on.
Non-playing legend? You're always on my shortlist of possible connections when in Toledo but not enough time on recent visits with folks moving and graduations, etc.

I started playing disc golf in July of 2014. A couple months later, I went to play the doubles round on the Friday before the Safari tournament at SFDGC. It was an A/B pool and I got partnered up with this very talkative (but fun) guy. I had no idea about professional golfers at this point, didn't know any of the big names or anything.

The guy didn't seem all that good, but he did tell me he was recovering from an injury. Over the course of the round, I heard all about his times of winning Safari, and all these other big wins he had. I kind of thought he was just bull****ting me, but nonetheless had a great time playing with him.

After that, I went home and looked him up and found out the Gregg Barsby really was one of the top disc golfers in the world!!!

bda

The first time I played a round with someone else on a basket course was with #315. While not a playing legend, he joined the PDGA in freaking 1976! He designed the course, as a matter of fact, that year (1989). I'm thinking there were maybe a couple dozen of us in the whole county at that time who knew what the sport was at all. (I only found out about it because I was working at the parks and recreation department and my boss mentioned it to us while training us for the summer).

He later sold me my first real Golf Disc (a yellow 173g Stingray with a red stamp) out of his garage. You should have seen his garage! Every imaginable collector Frisbee lining an entire wall. It was amazing.