• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rounds with disc golf legends?

Back when Pierce was Discraft, I had the pleasure of a few rounds with her here in Michigan. Got a first run signature TI Stalker signed by her. So amazing to watch her throw and kick all our asses on distance, accuracy, and putting. Great gal and amazing player even back then. I would be astonished to throw a round with her again.

I'm SUPER excited to play a Next Gen Challenge hosted by The Professor, Dave Feldburg this weekend. He's in town all week and is supposedly playing local courses. I'm hoping to hear from some friends that are hosting/shooting with him and get out for a round.

I'm debating playing the Next Generation Tour Final in Denver in the fall but it's $88 for me and $63 for my junior. I haven't found any info on players pack, etc. Seems a bit steep for AMs.

At the 1994 Worlds in Port Arthur, TX, I was in a group with Tim Selinsky and Brad Hammock (Tim a legend for a good reason, Brad not so much). When this area was starting to develop, Nick Hart and Tami Pelicane were living a hundred miles down the road so I played many rounds with them. I've been on the card with Scott Stokley, Mitch McClelland, Clint McClelland, Greg Hosfeld, Jeff Homburg, Carlton Howard, Snapper Pierson, Mike Randolph, and numerous others I can't recall right now.

I've been doubles partners with Mitch Mc. for Okie Doubles one year, and John Houck at one of his Circular Skies events (we even cashed that Friday!).

If I can include over-all competitions I have toed the line against many of our sports great legends.

Non-playing legend? You're always on my shortlist of possible connections when in Toledo but not enough time on recent visits with folks moving and graduations, etc.
In the initial post it seemed to indicate to me he was talking about guys who contributed to the game through their supreme talent. Your contributions to the sport are grand on an entirely different sort of level.

Definitely not a former World Champ but several State Championships and Super Class Open wins. ;)

Jim Oates runs the pro shop at my local course. I didn't know who he was when I first started playing and he was kinda a dick the first few times I asked him questions about discs and whatever. Never played with him though. Also I ran into Steve Rico at the course in sylmar, before I knew who he was. As we passed each other on the ramp to the pro shop he tried to make me flinch but hes so little I just chuckled at him and kept walking. Later my Buddy told me who he was. Douchebag.

Every time that I went into his shop, he was always nice to me. I've been in the shop countless times before he stopped running it. We would always shoot the breeze on disc golf, sports and current events. I was close to playing a round with Jim at Shady but my friend had something come up and he was my ride.

A few years ago the St. Louis club was testing a layout at a new course. I was carded with a guy named Dave. After a few holes I realized he was critiquing every hole, down to every tree and bush and talking about this angle or that angle. I was thinking, "who is this guy and why oh why did I get carded with this talkative fellow". Everyone was saying hi to him, but I had never seen him out playing before. I finally figured out it was Dave McCormack and that put a different light on the round.

My home course is Sylmar, so I've played dozens of rounds with Steve and Bamba Rico, as well as their dad, JR. I've also played with Philo Brathwaite out at OG and once at La Mirada.

Disc golfers - Sarah Stanhope, Vanessa Chambers, Sjur Soleng, Blaine Kinkel, Alan Beaver, Matt Peckham, Pat Govang, David Gebhart

Musicians - Zac Deputy, Doug Jones from Cravin Melon

Artist - David French, Skeet Scienski

2006 Legends champ Paul "old goat" Fein has been a regular at Sedgley Woods since I arrived there 25 years ago. He still shows up but can't play anymore.

I guess all the ones I have are really current pros (EMac, McBeth, Paige PA) -- except for maybe Clint McClellan -- I guess I have one.

No one on here has mentioned Mark Ellis ... surely he's worthy of legendary status.

Oh wait, how could I forget the great Bill Burns, #576, aka "three".

I guess all the ones I have are really current pros (EMac, McBeth, Paige PA) -- except for maybe Clint McClellan -- I guess I have one.

No one on here has mentioned Mark Ellis ... surely he's worthy of legendary status.

Oh wait, how could I forget the great Bill Burns, #576, aka "three".

I've played a few rounds with the Lizard Lawyer. And Jim Kenner, Pad Timmons, Steve Peck, Gunars, and several other MI folks. Good times!

My first tournament round at DeLaveaga was with Dr. Stancil Johnson, PDGA #9. It was a real treat to play with him and hear a little DG history from him. He is the master of the sidearm roller. I think in those days it was a Jaguar that he primarily used for that shot.

The top level pros and legends in this sport have always been very reachable.

19 years ago, when I first started playing disc golf, I traveled to the Minnesota Majestic Super Tour A-Tier event. It was my sixth or seventh tournament ever. I was warming up at North Valley DGC. I approached a tee and three of the top pros in the sport at that time were warming up. I watched in awe as they were all throwing perfect drives. Then one of them turned around and said, "Go ahead and throw. We are just warming up." I politely declined saying, "I'm not worthy!" I was thinking there is no way I am going to embarrass myself and throw in front of these amazing pros. Then one of them said, "Come on Suzette. It will be fine." Now I am thinking, "Oh my god, they actually know my name!" I was so nervous and sooo totally geeked out. I ended up throwing halfway decent shots, so I was relieved when I didn't totally embarrass myself.

What happened that day is one of the reasons I love disc golf so much. These top players were so welcoming and accepted me as a member of the disc golf family with zero judgement of my skills. It was that day I realized the disc golf family offers unconditional acceptance to all who share this disc golf affliction. It doesn't matter if you are old or young, what you do for a living or your skill level. All that matters is that you enjoy disc golf. Disc golf is the circle of life.

Those top players: Juliana Korver, Barry Shultz and Scott Stokely. I bet all three of them would welcome each and every one of you the same way if you walked up to a tee and they happened to be there. FYI, Scott and Juliana went on to win the event:1997 Minnesota Majestic.

Discette, how did they know your name if you had just started? Were you with Innova since the beginning, or even before you began playing?

Discette, how did they know your name if you had just started? Were you with Innova since the beginning, or even before you began playing?

When I caught the disc golf bug, I immediately began playing in all the tournaments I could find. I had played one round with Juliana at an event in Iowa City and I saw her again at the Des Moines Disc Golf Challenge. Scott was traveling around the Midwest running doubles events. I won one of his doubles events at Jones Park in Cedar Rapids and saw him again at the Des Moines Challenge. I couldn't believe they remembered the name of some new girl. That was the first time I met Barry Schultz. I started the greatest job in the world in 2004.

When I caught the disc golf bug, I immediately began playing in all the tournaments I could find. I had played one round with Juliana at an event in Iowa City and I saw her again at the Des Moines Disc Golf Challenge. Scott was traveling around the Midwest running doubles events. I won one of his doubles events at Jones Park in Cedar Rapids and saw him again at the Des Moines Challenge. I couldn't believe they remembered the name of some new girl. That was the first time I met Barry Schultz. I started the greatest job in the world in 2004.

Awesome. And I agree with you about our game's top players, and being part of the family. The love of the disc binds us all.

Latest posts