• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roy G opened today

^this.

i dont really care who rates it for what because i know how i feel about the course and its beyond amazing. inlove it mainly because its not like anything in central tx and its nice to not be surrounded by lots of rocks and cedar trees. likeni said before..its a demanding course and nothing is gonna be given. people are used tonplaying short holes you can throw putters on or midranges on. i like the fact that i have to shape lines,play good golf and actually play the game instead of just chucking a disc straight at it and hope for an ace and then move on. this course will challenge you mentally,physically and emotionally. when u play golf where you have to play like your playing pool and having to set up for the next shot..thats what i love about this course.

And we now have the first sub-5 rating in a review. I am sure it won't be the last. But here would be my response to that particular review by Lightning.

He gave it 4.5 seemingly for lack of elevation, lack of a hole under 275', lack of a Par 5 over 800', lack of beginner-friendliness. Now this is my assumption/paraphrasing, not his actual words. I can't tell you exactly why he chose the rating, only he can. So don't shoot the messenger here.

In my opinion, the course is definitely long enough already, and does not need a Par 5 added to make it any more special. I mean there are SEVEN legit Par 4's. Matter of fact, one of those Par 4's (can't remember which one) was probably tough enough to be considered a Par 5 from the longs if you really wanted to call it that way.

Also, when you consider the fact that this is a modern day Championship Course, it makes sense why there would be no holes under 275'. It was never intended to be for beginners but for advanced and pro players. More and more people are consistently throwing midranges that far these days.

If one wants more 250' holes, play Searight, there's about a dozen of them. Austin has enough shorty's at the old school courses (Searight/Zilker), and personally I am glad that you have to work for your aces and birds at Roy.
I don't think you fully comprehended his review correctly.

One thing I noticed about the course that makes it different from most other Austin area courses is that you can throw distance drivers on most of the holes because the fairways are so big. This course is about getting the disc down range as far as possible on each shot. Other courses force you to throw fairway drivers and mids or land in specific areas to have a good second shot. At Roy g you have to throw far and accurate on each and every shot. I kept finding myself reaching for the Destroyer and I never got in trouble using it.

i agree and that's one of the few cons about the course in my book.

I don't wanna sound like a D, and I haven't played it, but from the pictures that doesnt look like anything special. I've only played 8-10 courses and I can think of at least 4 that are better, and I think my home town looks more fun too (but I wont count it since I'm biased).

Course looks cool and if I get to Austin I'll play it.
However...if most reviews mention the long walk from 18 to the parking lot, how is it possible for this to be a 5 Star course? In my eyes it means the course should have been planned out wee bit better to make it a loop. It sounds like a .5 ding to me. I know Maricopa Meadows here in AZ has the same issue and people knock it down a bit for that reason. Poor design w/ relation to the parking lot is a ding in TX, AZ or anywhere else.
That being said I have wish listed Roy G.

I don't wanna sound like a D, and I haven't played it, but from the pictures that doesnt look like anything special. I've only played 8-10 courses and I can think of at least 4 that are better, and I think my home town looks more fun too (but I wont count it since I'm biased).

it looks lots better than the pictures in person.

The course is built for modern drivers that 99% of new golfers love throwing. I used nothing longer than an OLF and shot 59.

The course presents a new mental approach to disc golf in Austin. Getting a 4 on some of the par 4s is essentially a GREAT score in a tournament. Folks will need to adjust to the idea that getting a par is a big deal. This type of play style is perfect for the land Olse had his disposal. In other Austin courses you have hilly and rocky land which limits the ability to construct long holes.

This course will finally "breed" distance in Austin. A tourney that hit up Roy G and MetC might be one of the most challenging combos anywhere in the world. Par is a big deal at Roy G for most golfers, get used to it

The course is built for modern drivers that 99% of new golfers love throwing. I used nothing longer than an OLF and shot 59.

Exactly, I threw my OLF off the tee on almost every hole (except for the sweeping hyzer holes, and I think I threw a Destroyer on #7).

OLF is perfect for that straight 300-350' drive that most of the holes had.

And I can't wait for my Star Destroyer to get seasoned, I think it will do great out there.

^my seasoned destroyer worked amazing out there. i didnt have my pds in my bag because i wanted to see if i needed them. i did fine with my tb and ds..but most of the holes i probably would have thrown my pd instead.

I agree that the mental mindset for most players must be modified to score well. There are quite a few of the par 4's on Roy G that I must really bomb a drive or throw a roller to have a chance at birdie, but that brings bogey or worse very much into play. For players that throw in the < 370 ft max range, playing from the blue tees at Roy G is an exercise in patience and restraint. I'm better off on many holes throwing controlled drives in the 300-320 ft range, then doing it again, then laying up for an "easy" par.

For players that throw 420+, Roy G is green light ALL DAY LONG. For big power players, the course is a fair, moderate challenge. I can see the course record end up being around 49.

I think a guy on my card was a ranked pro, he only made like 2-3 mistakes all round and shot a 56 from the longs. He hit like 90%+ on his putts I would say. His drives were probably ~400' max, so I could see a big bomber doing more damage out there for sure.

But yes, I would agree with anybody that says hitting Par on the 4's from the longs is basically a reward for a lot of players. I hit Par on I think it was #7 with two decent drives along the RH side and a great upshot for a 10' putt. And I was pretty dang excited about that one!

i doubt the course record will be 49 at roy g. wilcos course record is a 49 and imo alot easier than roy g. at roy,just because you throw far,doesnt mean its easier. u still have to be accuarate,nail approaches and lines, and still make putts. i see the course record being 53ish.

like said above..it will challenge u mentally and physically. sure ..throwing 400+ will help on some holes but none are wide open so you still have to throw golf distance and still be able to control that.

Course looks cool and if I get to Austin I'll play it.
However...if most reviews mention the long walk from 18 to the parking lot, how is it possible for this to be a 5 Star course? In my eyes it means the course should have been planned out wee bit better to make it a loop. It sounds like a .5 ding to me. I know Maricopa Meadows here in AZ has the same issue and people knock it down a bit for that reason. Poor design w/ relation to the parking lot is a ding in TX, AZ or anywhere else.
That being said I have wish listed Roy G.

Beaver Ranch, long time top 10 course is at least a mile walk from the parking area to the course. (unless it changed in the last 3 years)

ZJ, Pablo, and Booter are right on the $$$ about what they have said about this course.

I don't know what the lowest has been so far but I think that a 54 would be well respected out there.

im not saying all par 4s there arent gonna be 3'able because some are and have already been 3'd. there are a couple that will be really hard to 3 though and rippie already said thatone or two could potentially be par 5's.

n yes..i used: 3'able and 3'd

i doubt the course record will be 49 at roy g. wilcos course record is a 49 and imo alot easier than roy g. at roy,just because you throw far,doesnt mean its easier. u still have to be accuarate,nail approaches and lines, and still make putts. i see the course record being 53ish.

i'll put A LOT of money on that bet. Roy G course isn't "hard" for power players. It's just a matter of hitting gaps and making putts. I bet if they made a Clash DVD out there with Josh Anthon, Nikko, Nate, and Feldberg that they would average 54. (assuming light to moderate winds, not raining, between 50 and 95 degrees)

Last edited:

Latest posts