• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] RPM discs - New Zealand

ThomasOrion

* Ace Member *
Anybody have info? I stumbled upon a few things. Saw a nice FB page. But know nothing of these folks. The discs look nice. Any info would be cool :):popcorn:

I like the look of their plastic but a lot of flight numbers that don't look super appealing. Would love to try that putter though.

Rpm tui putter and kahu driver

The tui putter is a nice straight low profile putter that fly's straight for 200 feet and the kahu driver is excellent it glides really well and if you throw with alot of power and spin it fly's the same nice and straight for a long distance and a hard fade I can put it 500 feet down the field

Rpm kahu

If you can find the fundraiser plastic for the kahu I would say get it don't chip and if you hit trees the disk does warp on the rim but you can bend it back with your hands in seconds so you won't have to worry about buying a new disk cause it's actually made to last

Anybody have info? I stumbled upon a few things. Saw a nice FB page. But know nothing of these folks. The discs look nice. Any info would be cool :):popcorn:

What specifically would you like to know?

My partner for Provincial (aka State) dubs last weekend is the distributor in Canada for RPM, he just moved back from New Zealand...he is close friends with the owner. I can ask him your questions.

I've thrown a Kahu. Pretty fast. Reasonably stable. Their desire for this disc was to fly like their favourite seasoned Boss.

I have not thrown the Tui.

I have thrown the Piwakawaka. True mid speed. Decent glide. Neutral type of flight.

Is there a difference between Atomic and Cosmic plastic (other than looks, of course)? If so, what is it?

Last edited:
I'll ask to confirm but I believe the plastic itself is actually the same but the appearance changes due to the heat used in the injection process.
Something in this "cooking" process (my word) changes the appearance.

My experience with the 4 Kahu's I tested was that the opaque ones (Atomic I think) were the most high/low speed stable
The Cosmic...clear "Champion" like were slightly less high/low speed stable

Cosmic with Sparkles I found to be the least high speed stable...would hyzer flip much easier

My recollection was that there was not much to differentiate the feel of the plastic although I want to say the grip on the Atomic was better than Cosmic...which had that usual slickness that you would associate with "Champion" type plastic (I'm not saying the Cosmic was slick just not as grippy in comparison)

Te Moko :thmbup: #SuperClassmatters

I'll ask to confirm but I believe the plastic itself is actually the same but the appearance changes due to the heat used in the injection process.
Something in this "cooking" process (my word) changes the appearance.

My experience with the 4 Kahu's I tested was that the opaque ones (Atomic I think) were the most high/low speed stable
The Cosmic...clear "Champion" like were slightly less high/low speed stable

Cosmic with Sparkles I found to be the least high speed stable...would hyzer flip much easier

My recollection was that there was not much to differentiate the feel of the plastic although I want to say the grip on the Atomic was better than Cosmic...which had that usual slickness that you would associate with "Champion" type plastic (I'm not saying the Cosmic was slick just not as grippy in comparison)

holy crap, where has this guy been :thmbup:

Has anyone thrown these guys discs at all? They look great but I've heard next to nothing about them.

Has anyone thrown these guys discs at all? They look great but I've heard next to nothing about them.

My doubles partner has a Ruru (I don't know what kind of plastic). It's really domey and slightly overstable. IIRC the nose is very rounded, especially near the rim. Kinda flies like a KC Aviar, but feels much different in the hand.

I have a different take on the Ruru. I find it RPMs stand-out disc and have thrown all blends besides Strata (a bit slick for a base plastic). Magma is a fairly soft, very grippy base plastic which I really enjoy - feels like a fresh racquetball. Both Cosmic and Atomic I think are sorted more based on how they turn out rather than by a consistent blend of materials with both having some of the best premium plastic grip I've felt and being generally 'medium' in firmness. Easy to put your thumb into, but not easy to deform with tight grip. I'd rate the Ruru 2/4/-1/1 or thereabouts.

I'm not prolific when it comes to spin on my putts, most of my action comes from the push. This tends to accentuate the LSS of most putters for me, so I try a lot of putters looking for the nice, easy long putter that is light on fade to suit my style and I've settled on the Ruru for the time being. My 7-yo son also uses them for his all-around disc. Between us we have 7 in action.

Probably the number one reason to throw RPM is the look and feel of the plastic. These are beautifully mixed with lots of swirly, sparkly and pearly character. I'd guess these are done small batch by hand as neither Cosmic or Atomic are predictable over long sample sizes from what I've seen. At times either can lean to being softer with a rubbery texture from a sticky Fluid/Frost through to a tacky Champ. None I've felt to date were what I'd call slick though, you can't really go wrong there. If you can go and feel up some RPM somewhere, go do it.

With the Kahus, color and run make a difference. Check the bottom of the disc beside the weight in pen. Some are marked OS. I presume this is to denote a run that has come out more stable than those not marked as such. Though I've not thrown one of these myself, I have it on good authority that there is a spread in stability built into the mold - not all Kahus are created equal. I see this as either good or bad - bad in that consistency is nice, good in that if you like the feel of the mold, you can cover a lot of bases once you get yourself familiar with it.

The Piwakawaka mid and Tui tweener putter/mid are both easy throwing affairs with very little to no fade, and also very easy on the hands and eyes. In a bigger catalogue, these would be a bit more specialty than staple discs I think, but both are great for beginners.

I'd love to see RPM get some more molds out there, They look and feel so darn good it makes you want to throw them well if only to justify having it in the bag.

Thanks! I'd like to try the driver looks nice.

So my buddy just hiked the trail that spans the entirety of New Zealand, and to my surprise he brought me back an Atomic Piwakawaka.

I have to say that I am quite impressed. He got a base plastic one for himself that is a beautiful grey swirl and hot some very good straight shots with it.

Mine is slightly heavier at a full 180 and looks like a copper penny. Really pretty disc. I threw it on a laser 320 and it came to rest one inch(literally) from the pole.

It feels a lot like a more svelt modern Stingray, but where I liked the Stingray for hyzerflip to turn shots this one flips up and rides in a super straight line.

I am sure it will beat some turn into it, but I believe it to have very little fade for almost any arm speed when thrown flat.

I may or may not bag it(if I do it will be more sentimentality than use) but wow if it isn't fun to throw.

Makes me want to try that driver they have and see if it's good as well.

Moose33, RPM just released an OS mid called the Kea. It's a smaller diameter mid, probably because the owner of RPM loves the Cro (I've had some email conversations with him). Infinite Discs carries RPM.

Moose33, RPM just released an OS mid called the Kea. It's a smaller diameter mid, probably because the owner of RPM loves the Cro (I've had some email conversations with him). Infinite Discs carries RPM.

I'll probably keep trying their stuff as time and money allow. I used to throw Cros before I went to Yikun/Salient stuff and then went back beaded mids. Wouldn't mind trying it at all.