• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

rules dilemma

Is there a rule on keeping score? I can't seem to find anything. I want to know if a player can insist on keeping score the whole time or if it should be passed throughout the round.

Most often the person who gets the scorecard typically keeps the score for the entire round. Of course i'm usually playing in Open or Masters where people have played for many years and have no issues with keeping score.

It says Zenbot is prohibited to keep score, announce score, and score in general.

Sorry Zenny's girl but you been breaking the law.

Here it is:

804.03 Scoring:
A. The player listed first on the scorecard(s) bears primary responsibility for picking up the group's scorecard(s), although any player may deliver it (them) to the first player. Players in the group shall rotate the scorekeeping responsibility proportionally, unless a player or a scorekeeper volunteers to keep score more and this is acceptable to all members of the group.

I just checked and even in the 1979 rules, a mini was required and flipping the disc not allowed.

Having cameras watch everyone's play does wonders for encouraging "self-policing" calls...
That's the best you can do with my post? Give the dishonest more excuses? HONEST UP Disc Golfers! Learn the rules, play by the rules, help others know the rules.

Granted playing by the rules is a lot slower then playing casually, so there is a proper time for strict rule enforcement: tournaments.

That's the best you can do with my post? Give the dishonest more excuses? HONEST UP Disc Golfers! Learn the rules, play by the rules, help others know the rules.
Yep. From discussions with ball golfers who have played competitively, but not on TV, player compliance with the rules was seen to be no better than many other sports even though ball golf likes to make the claim players police themselves better than any sport. That's not say disc golfers should have a free pass, just that ball golfer compliance may only be better when the spotlight is on.

Granted playing by the rules is a lot slower then playing casually, so there is a proper time for strict rule enforcement: tournaments.

similar to line play in the nfl, there are a plethora of potential violations involved in each tournament round... once you have played several hundred tournaments you will come to realize that some infractions are more debatable than others (foot faults on long fairway shots for example) while others simply cannot be tolerated (score misrepresentation in any form for example). there are definitely times when it ain't worth it to sweat the small stuff... best you can do is play your own game with integrity and anticipate that others will do the same.

The division is relevant. Since there is no exam to become a pdga member many Rec players are ignorant of the rules. I bet most of them break the rules without even knowing. I think alerting them of the violation is the right call, either way you would need someone to second your call for it to be official (unless this has changed). Hopefully telling them in a non confrontational way will help all parties and not make the round feel awkward. Those rounds suck! I hate when players b!tch at each other. If you are INT or higher you should be well aware of most, if not all of the rules. Chances are a pretty decent player.

similar to line play in the nfl, there are a plethora of potential violations involved in each tournament round... once you have played several hundred tournaments you will come to realize that some infractions are more debatable than others (foot faults on long fairway shots for example) while others simply cannot be tolerated (score misrepresentation in any form for example). there are definitely times when it ain't worth it to sweat the small stuff... best you can do is play your own game with integrity and anticipate that others will do the same.

Well put.

Yep. From discussions with ball golfers who have played competitively, but not on TV, player compliance with the rules was seen to be no better than many other sports even though ball golf likes to make the claim players police themselves better than any sport. That's not say disc golfers should have a free pass, just that ball golfer compliance may only be better when the spotlight is on.

ball golf below the top levels is the cheating-est game there is... way more akin to caddyshack than to the pga.

ball golf below the top levels is the cheating-est game there is... way more akin to caddyshack than to the pga.

This was always my experience.
DG is WAYYYY better than BG, at least that's been my experience.

Only ever had one problem with someone cheating in traditional golf -- my neighbor would go with us pretty much weekly, and he cheated so obviously that it was almost funny -- right up until he told everyone he beat me on the course every week.

It depends on who you play with, in whichever form of golf you're playing. Play with people who are trustworthy, and you have no problem. Play with whoever shows up on the first tee, and it could end up like Caddyshack.

Y'know -- we need a disc golf version of Caddyshack.