• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Salient Disc Golf

Okay, so I will confess I've never thrown a Negula, Drone, Pain, Core, or Comet. However, in my experience the Roc, Buzzz, and Gator are very different discs with distinctly different flight patterns. The Buzzz is the least stable of those 3 by far (at least in ESP plastic; maybe slightly more stable in Z). With Rocs, it depends on which model you're talking about and there is a definitive Roc thread on DGCR where people explain all the models that were made over the years, so I won't go through that here.

The Gator is actually significantly more overstable than a Roc and way more overstable than a Buzzz. It also has a lot less glide than either. If you watch "in the bag" type videos, most Innova pros carry a gator as a utility disc because it's so overstable they can always depend on it fading, even into a headwind. However, it's also too overstable with too little glide to throw most of the time where they want something more like a Roc.

The "feel" of disc in your hand with a Buzzz, Roc, or Gator is also very different. The Buzzz has a very flat top most of the time. The Roc is usually slightly more domey but not extremely domey. The rim of the Gator is much blunter and beefier than the other two, so it also has a different feel to it.

I don't want to be a dick or anything about how you are throwing, but if you don't get different lines with a Buzzz than a Gator, I'm not sure exactly what you're doing.

So, when are the contender 2 pre-order customers supposed to get their discs? I wanna try this thing out!

Lol, Dan you can think I'm trolling all you want, but the Buzzz, Roc, and Gator don't have very similar flight paths. I wouldn't write you like 5 paragraphs about how different they are if I wasn't serious. I definitely wouldn't waste that much time on a troll. ;) Sorry if you think almost every mid on the market is stable to overstable and that they all fly the same; I just tend to disagree.

Lol, Dan you can think I'm trolling all you want, but the Buzzz, Roc, and Gator don't have very similar flight paths. I wouldn't write you like 5 paragraphs about how different they are if I wasn't serious. I definitely wouldn't waste that much time on a troll. ;) Sorry if you think almost every mid on the market is stable to overstable and that they all fly the same; I just tend to disagree.

Are you sure?

I agree for the most part, but I will say that in my experience, Rocs and Buzzzes are pretty similar, with Rocs in some cases being a little more overstable. The Gator however is WAY more overstable than either of them, and I will fully agree that they are nowhere near the same disc as the Buzzz or Roc.

Right; I was not saying all the discs I named fly the same, or feel the same. I was saying there are lots of options. I put them in 4 stability categories, and 2 feel categories.

Comet: Beaded, slightly understable
Meteor: Non-beaded, slightly understable
Roc: Beaded, slightly overstable
Buzzz: Non-beaded, slightly overstable
Roc: Beaded, overstable
Nebula: Non-beaded, overstable
Drone: Feels beaded, very overstable
Gator: Feels Non-beaded, very overstable

Drone and Gator are weird, because to me the unbeaded one feels more like a roc, and the beaded one feels like a buzzz. I also used the Roc twice; I didn't think anyone would take issue with that, since there are so many varieties and it really does fit in both slots depending on which one you get.

I was just demonstrating how well-covered the stable to overstable slot has already been filled. All of these are very well-received discs. There are also many, many others that are also well-received and would fit in this. Like the Zone, Suspect, Tensor, Pain, Core, Hornet, Aftershock, Shockwave ... and several others I'm not going to take time to name.

I really probably could have done a better job, and added speed and diameter. That would have taken more time, though.

Last edited:

Sorry, but some of your descriptions are wrong.

Comet is stable. It goes straight and does that really we'll. it only flies understable if you are OATy.

Drones aren't beaded, they just have a deep curve.
Gators come in two variants beaded and none. The beaded is very overstable and the none is kinda meh for an OS disc.

Comet is stable. It goes straight and does that really we'll. it only flies understable if you are OATy.

Gators come in two variants beaded and none. The beaded is very overstable and the none is kinda meh for an OS disc.

I didn't say the Drone was beaded. I didn't know there were non-beaded Gators.

Comet fits into that slot (being less stable than a Buzzz and stable to overstable). I've actually found the Meteor to be more stable than the Comet, considering its fade.

I was about to try to say my throw doesn't have significant oat, but no one does on the internet, right?

Have you ever thrown an x comet? Definitely under stable.

These are not mine! But damn I wish they were. Say hello to the Prometheus...with a weight reduction...a huge weight reduction....this is the helium prometheus!
Weights are 176, 175 and an astounding 164! Expect to see these hitting vendors in the next couple weeks. Not in the clear though...the Clear were extremely limited...like to 6 lol

11kh95h.jpg

Right; I was not saying all the discs I named fly the same, or feel the same. I was saying there are lots of options. I put them in 4 stability categories, and 2 feel categories.

Drone and Gator are weird, because to me the unbeaded one feels more like a roc, and the beaded one feels like a buzzz. I also used the Roc twice; I didn't think anyone would take issue with that, since there are so many varieties and it really does fit in both slots depending on which one you get.

I was just demonstrating how well-covered the stable to overstable slot has already been filled. All of these are very well-received discs. There are also many, many others that are also well-received and would fit in this. Like the Zone, Suspect, Tensor, Pain, Core, Hornet, Aftershock, Shockwave ... and several others I'm not going to take time to name.

I really probably could have done a better job, and added speed and diameter. That would have taken more time, though.

Okay I can get on board a lot more with what you're saying here, and I do see your point that stable to overstable mids are fairly well covered by a lot of manufacturers. I don't personally really have a need for anything less stable than a Buzzz and I would just throw a putter if I did, but I'm sure there are some who would like this.

For those saying that the Roc and Buzzz are the same, the reason I would list the Buzzz as significantly less stable than the Roc is that I can take a brand new ESP Buzzz and throw nice long, high left to right (RHBH) Anhyzer shots that will never fade back (and it's not due to OAT). I can't do that with any newer Roc I have ever used, although to be fair I haven't owned every mold of Roc, so maybe one of the molds is understable enough to do this. All the new Rocs I have used would fade out on that sort of shot, but a new Buzzz won't. This is actually one of the primary reasons I keep a Buzzz in my bag, even though I throw primarily Prodigy mids.

These are not mine! But damn I wish they were. Say hello to the Prometheus...with a weight reduction...a huge weight reduction....this is the helium prometheus!
Weights are 176, 175 and an astounding 164! Expect to see these hitting vendors in the next couple weeks. Not in the clear though...the Clear were extremely limited...like to 6 lol

11kh95h.jpg

I've got two of those clear beauties coming my way!! Going in the mail today, I should have them in my hands on Thursday!! Oh yeah, and there are 8 of them, all marked 1-8 of 8, I'm getting number 4 and 5

Ha, good luck getting one, again, only 8 out there, and my two aren't going anywhere! And I know that the guy with 1-3 isn't coming off anymore either

Seems like they need to do two things:
1. Make more clear ones, I'd buy 10
2. Make a condor-sized mid in clear. I'd also buy 10

Latest posts