• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Disc Shoes

I'll address your points 1 by 1

"Yeah, but Costco pays Captain Morgan. From what I understand Failent just ripped off the Vibram tread design."

Companies get patent protection, once that patent runs out then it's fair game. You wouldn't have all these disc companies otherwise. Do you blast every major manufacturer for copying other molds? Do you go on their threads and complain and whine?

"The great thing about this is usually all I have to do is let people throw my first run Prometheus, and they agree that they'd rather buy from someone else."

I do not recommend this disc to anyone, and I believe Salient already admitted that it didn't live up to the hype. Oh darn, hyberbole by a company that didn't pan out...Lat64/Innova/Legacy/Discraft anyone? So the disc didn't fly the way you wanted it to, do you call all those other manufacturers and do the same thing?

"Selling discs made in China"

Even the amazing Grip did this for a while too, and Trilogy is offshore as well. Every country has their problems. Good thing is, as you well know, you can vote with your dollars. Don't be surprised if more discs come from outside sources, I'd expect Japan and Europe to start getting more involved.

"Unscrupulous business practices, and rotten customer service"

Welcome back to the beginning, but, since early 2014 things have turned around, drastically. I think you need to have a measured reflection on what happened with you, forgive, and move on. Forgiveness heals you more than them. I'd recommend forgiveness over bitterness any day. And, for what it's worth, their Cx service has grown leaps and bounds.

Whatever you decide to do is up to you, but if you have *only* tried their Prometheus, I'd recommend you try something else, or just rid them of your sight from now on. It doesn't make you grow at all.

According to some of the Facebook pages dedicated to disc golf, I would say their customer service, and product quality, still leaves a lot to be desired.

I agree with Aim. The shoes are very stiff/hard and the fit is narrow through the arch. It is roomier in the toes. I have not had an opportunity to wear them much at all given the snow. My hope is that they become a little more flexible and stretch with more use.

They should loosen up relatively nice. Thank you for your review.

back to the topic on hand....

A couple of pictures I took when unboxing. I received the black/tan version in size 12. Full review, with video, in several weeks. Feel free to ask questions about anything to do with the shoe.

Front toe
Salient_DGX_Spark_2_of_2.jpg

Side view
Salient_DGX_Spark_1_of_2.jpg

They are a nice looking shoe overall. I tend to have "normal sized" feet, and wear a size 12 (11.5 for soccer).

Whitey: did you notice much of a break in period or did they work out from the get go? Anyone who knows my profession knows I make my living on my feet and really don't want to be gimping around while I break in some shoes (which is why I don't wear hiking boots anymore)

Whitey: did you notice much of a break in period or did they work out from the get go? Anyone who knows my profession knows I make my living on my feet and really don't want to be gimping around while I break in some shoes (which is why I don't wear hiking boots anymore)

I'd say about 3-4 days at most. They were never *tight* for me, just a tad snug at the arches. I prefer that though, I hate a loose shoe. My concern isn't that it would break in, but rather not expand too much. Won't tell that story until a month of use is up.

I'll address your points 1 by 1

"Yeah, but Costco pays Captain Morgan. From what I understand Failent just ripped off the Vibram tread design."

Companies get patent protection, once that patent runs out then it's fair game. You wouldn't have all these disc companies otherwise. Do you blast every major manufacturer for copying other molds? Do you go on their threads and complain and whine?

"The great thing about this is usually all I have to do is let people throw my first run Prometheus, and they agree that they'd rather buy from someone else."

I do not recommend this disc to anyone, and I believe Salient already admitted that it didn't live up to the hype. Oh darn, hyberbole by a company that didn't pan out...Lat64/Innova/Legacy/Discraft anyone? So the disc didn't fly the way you wanted it to, do you call all those other manufacturers and do the same thing?

"Selling discs made in China"

Even the amazing Grip did this for a while too, and Trilogy is offshore as well. Every country has their problems. Good thing is, as you well know, you can vote with your dollars. Don't be surprised if more discs come from outside sources, I'd expect Japan and Europe to start getting more involved.

"Unscrupulous business practices, and rotten customer service"

Welcome back to the beginning, but, since early 2014 things have turned around, drastically. I think you need to have a measured reflection on what happened with you, forgive, and move on. Forgiveness heals you more than them. I'd recommend forgiveness over bitterness any day. And, for what it's worth, their Cx service has grown leaps and bounds.

Whatever you decide to do is up to you, but if you have *only* tried their Prometheus, I'd recommend you try something else, or just rid them of your sight from now on. It doesn't make you grow at all.

This post has so much garbage in it I can even begin to try and dissect it.

Did you really just compare salient to every successful manufacturer? Salient to Innova? Laughable.

Well I think Ill get a pair when my tax return comes in. I have a pretty common shoe size so if they don't end up working for me, I'm sure someone will take them. Now I just have to figure out which colorway to get...

I like the little accent color actually. Just adds some life to the shoe. I wear them all the time though.

Mine will be only for disc golf. I've got plenty of pumped up kicks for other occasions.

I know its winter time so may not be the greatest tie to ask, but how hot are these? I was just hinking about that while while scoping them online. Does the all black heat up your feet? I know they breathe pretty well but soe black shoes just soak up the sun regardless.

Yeah, but Costco pays Captain Morgan. From what I understand Failent just ripped off the Vibram tread design.

Pity me all you want, but I have no interest in seeing a company run by Mr. Kilgus succeed. If you go back and read some old threads you'll find I defended Salient to the hilt for quite a while during the Prometheus debacle. Then I had an interaction with the owner, regarding how unhappy I was with the disc not performing anything close to what was promised. Plus there were plenty of public comments here by him. Now, you're welcome to your opinion, and to state it as loudly and vocally as I state mine. That's the beauty of our society. But neither your opinion or your pity will change my opinion of the man behind this company and the way he does business. It will also not change the fact that I will do everything in my (admittedly very limited) power to discourage others from having anything to do with this brand. The great thing about this is usually all I have to do is let people throw my first run Prometheus, and they agree that they'd rather buy from someone else. Selling discs made in China, unscrupulous business practices, and rotten customer service usually don't even enter the conversation.

Have a nice one, and hopefully we can throw some discs some time instead of just slinging words around.

Wow, just wow... Vengefulness doesn't belong in disc golf, and I hope I never run into a fellow disc golfer with this much hate. Now, let's talk about these shoes.

I generally wear a size 12-13, so I was concerned with the sizing from the start. I found that the size 12 is a little snug, but has gotten better after wearing them a few times. These have great traction in the dirt, and ok on concrete, but like the poster above, I generally throw primarily forehand, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference there. I will be happy to share how they hold up as I continue to use them, but the build quality looks great, and they are half the price of my previous disc golf shoes, so if they hold up, I'd say it's a win!! And Vibram makes great designs, so I'm not really sure why using their design is in any way a negative. I have a handful of buddies here in Washington that will be buying these as their next disc golf shoe!!

On a side note, the Prometheus is still my furthest thrown forehand and roller disc ever!!

Got my DGX's in today...very pleased. I have weird Flinstone feet, so I was also worried about fit. I wear 10.5 W in hiking boots but got 10s in the DGX. They feel great with just enough toe room. Snug but not pinchy.

Will wear them all day tomorrow and report back.

BTW: This tread pattern is very different from Vibrams

So I wore my all black DGX's (size 10) all day yesterday, starting at 4:30 a.m. when I hit the gym to about 5:00 p.m. when I got home. They were very comfortable, and the tightness I experienced when I first put them on went away by the time I was on my first quarter mile on the treadmill. I actually got off after a mile and went to the outdoor track simply because the treads were grabbing a little too well on the treadmill and it was messing up my natural gait.

I'll say this: the DGX are great shoes but would not be my choice for day to day wear (as opposed to the Dynamic Discs skate shoes, which I'm wearing as I type this) simply because the tread is too good. The lugs are pretty high, and they are mad grabby. They are for sure cross-trainers.

I'll be giving them their first disc golf specific test on Saturday at our weekly tags. I am a bit concerned with how they will perform on the concrete teepads, but I don't think it will be too much of an issue. Even if I shoot way under par, they will still get exponentially more use on natural terrain. Conditions are likely to be wet, and I am fully confident that they well hold up on the fairways.

Good shoes at a great price (even moreso with my discount) and I can see these catching fire with us more budget-conscious disc golfers. Even buying two pairs a year is cheaper than Keens. Now just have to see if they hold up for six months...

Now just have to see if they hold up for six months...

yeah im curious to see how they stack up once im able to get out and play regularly on them. I have played a handful of rounds in these though and looking solid. Definitely agree they are "off road" style treaded shoes lol.

Yeah man I was making quite the racket walking around the janky ass floors in these old government buildings where I'm taking classes.

on floors like marble I feel a little bit like a deer on ice lol. They are wearing down to be much more grippy than when new. Felt a little odd not being connected to the ground with the sole like a skate/walking shoe.

Got my DGX's in today...very pleased. I have weird Flinstone feet, so I was also worried about fit. I wear 10.5 W in hiking boots but got 10s in the DGX. They feel great with just enough toe room. Snug but not pinchy.

Will wear them all day tomorrow and report back.

BTW: This tread pattern is very different from Vibrams

I would not say very different.

Patagonia Drifter:
patagonia_drifter_a_c_waterproof_shoe_womens_bottom.jpg

Salient DGX:
IMG_4110.jpg

Now, the Drifters are $100+ and the Salient are consideribly cheaper.

Aim, the reason they were kind of greasy is they well, were kind of greasy. They spray a mold release agent on the mold and unless its taken off they can be slippery. If they are still like that, just wash it with some dish soap. Should take care of it.

Weird. I just came to this thread because I had just seen these for the first time a Disc Nation in person. My first reaction upon seeing them was seriously, "what in the world? How has Vibram not sued these guys for copyright infringement yet?"

I'm very happy with my Moabs, and I have some Keens as backup, so I'm really even in the market. But I have to say that even if I was the blatent Vibram rip off just seems like another shady thing from Salient.

And by the way, I know that a lot of discs are copycat discs from other companies etc, etc. But seriously, if you're going to rip off a tread, don't you think you would skip the part where you also copy the other company's logo?

Last edited:

Latest posts