• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

Can somebody give me a measurement on the cup holders?

I've been looking at the hydraflask stainless steel drink bottles. Their 32 oz versions are 3.5 inches, while their 40 oz are 4 inches. Is 3.5 the limit for these cup holders on the helix?

Thanks

The one with the straight sides, or the concave sides? They're both 32 oz, but the one with concave sides is a far snugger fit, for some reason.

Can somebody give me a measurement on the cup holders?

I've been looking at the hydraflask stainless steel drink bottles. Their 32 oz versions are 3.5 inches, while their 40 oz are 4 inches. Is 3.5 the limit for these cup holders on the helix?

Thanks

I just put in a thermos container which measured at 3" 5/8 in diameter with not much room to spare. I assume the fabric will stretch a little but im not sure a 4in bottle would fit without some serious work.

I was finally able to play my first round with my new Helix. I put her through 45 holes and rode her hard.
A few thoughts:

- This bag is big. During my first round I reached for an upshot disc 3 different times and when I didn't see it I figured it must have been left at home. During the break before the second round I "found" it in the main disc storage area. Not hiding, just in a group of a ton of discs- so many that I missed it.
- So, you can carry a ton of discs. I had 27 today including the 3 in the "go get it" slot. That said, you obviously don't have to, and I probably won't take that many in the future. 27 discs make this a pretty heavy bag. The bag handles and carries the weight well, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Like others have said, I might carry around 22 on a normal casual round and maybe more during a tournament.
- At no time during the 45 holes did I feel like this bag was anything other than comfortable. The course I played didn't have a ton of elevation, but it was a good three miles of walking.
- I need to experiment with how I want to pack this thing. I like that I have options. I can pack for a casual round and have what I need, or I can pack for a tournament and have way more than I need as a just in case. I could have had a ton more stuff today.
- I am still trying to get the hang of putting this bad boy on. This of course has nothing to do with the bag itself, with the one exception being the drink holders. With the bag on, the holder on the right side has potential to impede my putting it on. I have a stainless water bottle (think Nalgene but metal) and it bangs my right elbow when I sling the bag on. I switched it to the other side and found that the plastic top holder was now getting in the way of my left elbow/arm, so I rotated it. I like to carry my phone in the drink holder anyway, so sacrificing that right holder isn't a big deal to me. Just reporting the facts.
- The bottom rails are fantastic. Along with the protection, they add a good deal of stability to the bag. I purposefully set the bag down every time with no regard whatsoever to the possibility of it falling over. I was trying to test the stability. At no point, on various levels and elevations, did it even begin to sway.

I played with a total of 7 people today. Each one noticed this fantastic bag immediately and talked about it quite a bit. I think Salient has a hit on their hands.

I was finally able to play my first round with my new Helix. I put her through 45 holes and rode her hard.
A few thoughts:

- This bag is big. During my first round I reached for an upshot disc 3 different times and when I didn't see it I figured it must have been left at home. During the break before the second round I "found" it in the main disc storage area. Not hiding, just in a group of a ton of discs- so many that I missed it.
- So, you can carry a ton of discs. I had 27 today including the 3 in the "go get it" slot. That said, you obviously don't have to, and I probably won't take that many in the future. 27 discs make this a pretty heavy bag. The bag handles and carries the weight well, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Like others have said, I might carry around 22 on a normal casual round and maybe more during a tournament.
- At no time during the 45 holes did I feel like this bag was anything other than comfortable. The course I played didn't have a ton of elevation, but it was a good three miles of walking.
- I need to experiment with how I want to pack this thing. I like that I have options. I can pack for a casual round and have what I need, or I can pack for a tournament and have way more than I need as a just in case. I could have had a ton more stuff today.
- I am still trying to get the hang of putting this bad boy on. This of course has nothing to do with the bag itself, with the one exception being the drink holders. With the bag on, the holder on the right side has potential to impede my putting it on. I have a stainless water bottle (think Nalgene but metal) and it bangs my right elbow when I sling the bag on. I switched it to the other side and found that the plastic top holder was now getting in the way of my left elbow/arm, so I rotated it. I like to carry my phone in the drink holder anyway, so sacrificing that right holder isn't a big deal to me. Just reporting the facts.
- The bottom rails are fantastic. Along with the protection, they add a good deal of stability to the bag. I purposefully set the bag down every time with no regard whatsoever to the possibility of it falling over. I was trying to test the stability. At no point, on various levels and elevations, did it even begin to sway.

I played with a total of 7 people today. Each one noticed this fantastic bag immediately and talked about it quite a bit. I think Salient has a hit on their hands.

Thank you very much for taking time to write up this review. I'm glad you are enjoying the bag. I was pretty sure we did a good job on this bag and I still think so after reading your review.

Bag no.0007 now has a fade disc divider inserted into it. For those of you that want dividers, this works perfectly.

I just got my bag #0019 and one of my favorite things about it is a condor fits in the "go get it" slot. it looks amazing and is incredibly practical (cell phone pocket and spot for keys/wallet). I intentionally overloaded it and it still sat on sidehills well never tipping over. It felt light on my back even with the overload and even the discs on the edges came out easily. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with the quality and looks of the bag. Being from SC I cant wait to try out the John E McCray driver as well. Thanks Salient for answering the questions and being present on the message boards i thin this bag is win and it really stands out on the course.

I have bag #0001 and I put a U-channel from my old bag in and it works great for dividers. Very happy with this bag

I am really happy you guys are enjoying the helix. I had a feeling this bag was going to be a good thing for salient and the players and I still feel that way. Thanks everyone.

TR3 Limited Review

Category: LARGE DG Backpack
Product: Salient Helix DG Backpack

Additional thoughts/info:

• Made of 1000D cordura fabric
  • 9 zippers
  • 6 large compartments
  • 4 smaller pockets
  • keychain holder
  • 7 pencil/pen holders
  • 2 32oz Nalgene bottle holders
  • chest strap
  • 2 umbrella/stool/accessory pockets, with locking plastic buckle(s)
  • "Go Get It" slot(s), capable of holding 2-6 discs
  • Large, main compartment capable of holding almost 30 discs
  • tri-rail foot system on bottom
  • 2 D-ring attachment points on straps
  • velvet/felt lined top pocket, for valuables, with velcro-locked cellphone holder (karge enough for an LG G2 cellphone with case on it).

Overall Grade: B+, small touches, noted below, would've made this an A+
Overall Value: A+, nothing close to it for another $50+
Closest Competitor, in style; Large Prodiscus Bag
Closest Competitor, in price range; Lat 64 Luxury Bag

Reasoning; very aggressively priced. Generous storage space and storage options. Quality material used. I did receive the bag somewhat "buckled", but was told this was due to shipping, and "normal", and to give it a day or two to straighten out. Happy to say that is did, and it now completely fine. The two pencil holders up front are a little tight, and I wouldn't recommend small golf pencils for the slot(s), they are made more for standard pencil sizes. I really don't get the business card slots, I would've rather have a single large slot there (dedicated rain fly space???), but it is a unique touch I guess.

The very top pocket is not to be used like a quiver, I struggled to get a putter in and out while testing. The "Go Get It" pocket is removable. However, if you remove it, anything you place in that space could fall into the main compartment, so maybe some clothing there is a good option. If you fully load this bag down, it becomes quite heavy, but that is not the fault of the bag, that's the fault of the user. Putting in a tri-divider system could let the customer put less discs in, and give a little more storage space for other larger items.

If you use an ATV, or a cart, for your course, this is an absolutely fantastic option.

Had this bag had disc divider(s), and a matching rain-fly color scheme (not a fan of the blue/teal), and room to fit a XXL hoodie, this would be an A+. One of the best things about this bag, is the lack of ridiculous-sized company logos. There is plenty of empty space for patches, buttons, and other DG memorabilia to be attached.

Kudos to Salient for making this bag. They are still continuing to impress their customers with their latest releases. They've come a very long way in the past 6 months.

Next review will be on their new Touch putter, will be out in a couple of days.

I have bag #0001 and I put a U-channel from my old bag in and it works great for dividers. Very happy with this bag

Can you please tell me where to find my bag #? I looked on my packing slip and I believe I have looked everywhere in the bag but haven't found a #.

Thanks in advance.

I have a blue and black Helix bag. As I opened the box and inspected the Helix, I came to one very clear conclusion.
Although this is a quality bag, it's just too darn large for me.

I have a Catalyst that I'm very pleased with, especially the fact that it is a medium bag and carries just right amount of discs for me.
I had a few issues with the pockets on the Catalyst and Salient addressed them all with the Helix. Between that and the price of the bag, I ordered the Helix.

Like I said though, too large for what I want to carry on the course.
If anyone is interested in this bag, please PM me. It is unused, never been outside the house and will come in original box with everything it arrived with.
Plus maybe a Skulboy stamped disc bonus.

Thanks.

On your warranty card.

OK, I didn't see one when I got my bag. I will have to check through all my paperwork and the box itself. Thank you.

Edit: Got it. I had it packed with the box and plastic it came with since it would have to be sent back in the same box if there was a problem :)

Bag #0012

Last edited:
I had a few emails sent about a place for the rainfly and the GGIS. The top zippered pouch has a small colored pocket for the rainfly, however we also added a rain fly Velcro pouch to the inside of the main compartment (where your discs go) right below the zipper. Also the GGIS is adjustable which most don't realize.

How to adjust:
1. Pull the top felt line zippered pocket inside out to clear space.
2. Reach into the top of the main compartment below the GGIS and you will see that the GGIS is velcroed to the back wall.
3. Please unvelcro the material and move it up higher on the Velcro lining on the back wall. You will get roughly 1-2 inches more room in the main compartment, you will also see it pushes the top felt pocket up making putters easier to get in and get out.

Hopefully that clarified any issues as it's a large bag that has a bunch of hidden pockets and spaces that can be utilized.

Helix was agressively priced and you will see the same thing with the new Catalyst replacement which will have the same look and materials as Helix but in a smaller package and pricing $50 below the competition.

I have a blue and black Helix bag. As I opened the box and inspected the Helix, I came to one very clear conclusion.
Although this is a quality bag, it's just too darn large for me.

I have a Catalyst that I'm very pleased with, especially the fact that it is a medium bag and carries just right amount of discs for me.
I had a few issues with the pockets on the Catalyst and Salient addressed them all with the Helix. Between that and the price of the bag, I ordered the Helix.

Like I said though, too large for what I want to carry on the course.
If anyone is interested in this bag, please PM me. It is unused, never been outside the house and will come in original box with everything it arrived with.
Plus maybe a Skulboy stamped disc bonus.

Thanks.

Maybe it can be returned for a credit on the New Catalyst (Ember) bag. I bet it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Latest posts