• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Diego gets 2 new 18 Hole Courses

OcDiscGolf

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Just noticed that Kit Carson is now open (although the reviews make it sound like La Mirada on a Sunday in the summertime). Also noticed that CSU San Marcos just installed a new course. They had a nice little blurb about it on the Aces Website. I'm excited for San Diego! Going to try to make it out to these 2 courses in the next few months.

I just wish they would open another course at Balboa park, or within the vicinity. Even with all the hype, I have no desire to play Morley Field because I a) hate having people behind me and b) am not a morning person :)

Oh man that course is so sweet though. You have to experience it at some point. Give yourself 4 hours and you'll be fine. There's a reason it is so crowded... I love a course that is technical to the point of being moderately difficult while not having 400+ foot flat ground holes.

Morley's also the closest I have seen to OG in the courses I've played... Not just with the crowd factor.

You should go on a weekday sometime it's not quite as crowded then. Maybe only 5 minute waits at each tee.

I really like the new Kit Carson Park, I have been playing it on a daily basis and it's great. I haven't played a weekend yet, but I have the feeling it's going to next to impossible with traffic from the park. But you never know, it still may be possible if you're willing to wait.

i have friends who have played it. i guess a significant portion of the course goes through the quad and there are lots of fine socal hinas out there watching at all hours...:thmbup:

I'm so excited that new courses are going in in San Diego, though I'm still disappointed that I never got to play Emerald Isle. I grew up there, and learned to play at Morley when that was pretty much the only choice (and definitely the only course I knew about). It's still one of my favorite courses, despite the crowds, it's just a lot of fun to play with lots of friendly people and Snapper does such a good job of keeping the course fresh with his mixes of pin positions.

Awsome. I drive right by CSUSM on my way home every day. I guess the wife is going to have to hold dinner for an hour and a half every night!

I really want to try Kit Carson. Is there significant elevation change on any of the holes?

Played CSUSM last week. It was a really fun course. You can check out my review http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3837&mode=rev
I would recommend parking on the side streets off of Barham to avoid parking charge. We were the only players out there, so you have open play. Print a map ahead of time, this is difficult to navigate. Baskets are in some very interesting positions, with sharp elevation changes and short distances on the back nine through campus. Lots of "distractions" cant wait till it gets warmer.

Great news for the game of disc golf; can't wait to get back to SoCal.

Does anyone know of a map out there for Kit Carson at this point? I want to play this course soon. Good review as well progprowl, thumbs up. I need to check out CSUSM as well.