• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] San Marino Star Roc

I have the 20 years of Roc Star San Marino, super domey, good amount of glide.
I don't know if I would call it over stable though.

my flat top sitting next to it, they look nothing alike. but the both say Roc on em
;)

Any other super domey Star rocs out there?

Not the biggest fan of the san Marino Star...I got the 20th Anniverary and it seems a bit more overstable than I'd like it to be. I generally do throw a Buzzz now, but I was a big Roc guy for a long time. In my humble opinion, the best Roc you can get is the 2007 USDGC Silver Poppa disc...it's in Star plastic, so you have the same durability level. I still see them on eBay for around $30....and if you are a Roc thrower, it's definately worth the money.

Picked one of these up @ PIAS, recently; it seems to not be as overstable as I was expecting.
It has QUITE a dome on it, pretty glidey for a Roc. Anybody still throwing this disc, or is everybody converting to Roc3's for beefy Roc-action???

I have been using a Roc3 for most mid shots, OS included w/ one in particular, but will probably start using the Rx3 when it is released for sure.

Eh...I hate the Roc3. Absolutely worthless IMO. I didn't like the San Marino Star either. Neither had enough glide for the way I throw a Roc. I just got a Star Rancho to test out; otherwise I'll stick with Sentinels in that slot.

All the Star San Marino Rocs I've had (3) were pretty domey. I like the Rancho Star Rocs better, very flat and they fit my hand better.

Eh...I hate the Roc3. Absolutely worthless IMO. I didn't like the San Marino Star either. Neither had enough glide for the way I throw a Roc. I just got a Star Rancho to test out; otherwise I'll stick with Sentinels in that slot.

I used to hate Roc3s as well. I took one on as a project disc and now it is absolutely perfect. I pair it with a worn Dx Rox and my newest XT Rocs. I see the XTs as long term Dx Rocs with the Roc3 being the sweet spot one. That means I will have to start beating in another soon. It isn't like you lose midranges often though.

I am going against the norm but prefer my Rocs in Premium plastic so they keep their stability out of the box longer.

I still have my first Star San Marino and it is irreplaceable awesome, so much so that I could not find another that flew so perfect.

At the time I wanted to pair it with a Star Ontario, but for better or worse the Star Rancho had less overlap.

At the end of the day, I am not a fan of beaded discs so I went through several mids before settling on the Truth and Verdict. However, I still have my one San Marino, two Ontarios, and one Cahmpion Roc3 in case I ever feel like going back.

See, I feel once you season them up some, they are way glider than my old KCs, while being able to fly lower lines. Throw a seasoned Roc3 on a slight hyzer, it flies dead straight and finishes on the line. Seasoned KCs need more height for me and are preferable when I need to shape a shot more.

Last edited:
I have a Star San Marino Roc that is really domey and flies really nice. I sort of ended up throwing it for the dog instead of using it on the course, but it's still in great shape and may come out to play some day.

I throw a Roc3 as my main mid and I love it. I have made some great shots with that disc.

See, I feel once you season them up some, they are way glider than my old KCs, while being able to fly lower lines. Throw a seasoned Roc3 on a slight hyzer, it flies dead straight and finishes on the line. Seasoned KCs need more height for me and are preferable when I need to shape a shot more.
I've always used Sentinels for those lower line mid shots. I just didn't get anything out of a Roc3 that added anything to my Roc/Sentinel setup and I saw nothing that made me want to replace either with a Roc3. I didn't throw one long enough to season one.

I've always used Sentinels for those lower line mid shots. I just didn't get anything out of a Roc3 that added anything to my Roc/Sentinel setup and I saw nothing that made me want to replace either with a Roc3. I didn't throw one long enough to season one.

If I had been able to get a few QSents before R3s dropped, I might be in the same boat. Always wanted to try one.

It took me over a year to really enjoy the flight of them. Not really worth it to make the change if you have set backups I'd say. I was just down to one KC Roc that wasn't stable enough, so the Roc3 became the workhorse. I will way Idk if I really like the flight of new Roc3s unless they are of the OS variety and I use them for that shot.

I just picked one of these up. Previously only thrown dx, kc and roc3. I have to say I'm really stoked with how it's flying. No wind it flies straight with healthy fade. In a head or R 2 L it goes very straight without fade. Nice for flex lines that my dx won't come out of. Great complement to base plastic roc with a higher wind resistance!

Anyone else throw these? How do they break in?

I had one that remained slightly overstable and would just die, dropping straight down. I have as of yet recovered it from its special place in the pond. I had another that just did nothing special. It was not even good enough to say that it at least got the job done. I have a third, the most seasoned, it is so special, it can hit any line, that since I have not found another one like it that I cannot put it in the bag due to the lack of back-ups. I just throw Truths and Verdicts because they are great out of the box, can cheaply get more back-ups, and are easy to replace.

Latest posts