• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sanctioned vs. non-sanctioned events

Dont really care. As long as I get some value (enjoyable competition, prizes, swag, food, etc) and someone keeps score, its ok with me. I will drop $40 or so for a day of semi-organized fun without much hesitation.

I think this is the overwhelming sentiment. The cross section found here may not bear this out, but I think the general disc golf population would say something very similiar to this.

I prefer unsanctioned events and league rounds than PDGA sanctioned events. I would say the vast majority of guys who are cool and fun to play with in non sanctioned and leagues turn the fun off in PDGA sanctioned stuff for some reason or another. It is not like the rules should be any different for leagues or non sanctioned than a sanctioned event. I played some pdga sanctioned stuff in 2011 and 2012 and I realized it just was not for me. I personally would rather enjoy a Saturday road trip and play 4 different courses with people I enjoy playing with than getting stuck on a card with pissy people on 1 course, sitting in backups for no reason and extreme slow play just because its a sanctioned event. I do not personally think what the PDGA sanctioned events have turned into are what Steady Ed really had in mind with so many people playing just for the competition and bragging rights of winning.

There have been a few top local ams in my area who have stated that they do not play for the money or payouts of the am events, they play for the competition. To me that means that if they are playing well they are friendly and if they are not, well then I do not want to get stuck on that card. I know they are good people and mean well and are just being competitive natured but at the same time this game was invented to be a leisure activity. There really should not be frowning faces when they get 2nd place. I play either 2 or 3 leagues every week during the spring and summer and play a few per month in the winter. I have tried probably 20 different leagues in my area and found the ones that I fit in socially and fit my schedule.

I think the question posed is not between sanctioned tournaments, and unsanctioned league play---but sanctioned tournaments and unsanctioned tournaments. Unsanctioned tournaments may have the same competitiveness, pace-of-play, time commitment, rules, etc. as the sanctioned ones.

After a decade or so of casual chucking I finally decided to join the PDGA because of an unsanctioned event. I won an "open" doubles event and got 50$ and a pair of socks, while the DT made fat money. That's right, a pair of socks. It was unorganized, slow, and we ran out of daylight for the side completions that were promised. Basically, when I subtracted the entry fee it didn't even cover travel costs for me to get there and back. Then again, it's not like the KPDGA follows the sanctioned event guidelines. I might still play unsanctioned stuff in the future, but I'd rather receive a rating for my efforts, especially if the payouts are bunk.

Remember though, no ratings in doubles. Get into a PDGA sanctioned singles event for that.

I prefer sanctioned tournaments (especially one day events) but I have played several unsanctioned events that were run as good if not better than a few sanctioned tournaments that I have played over the years.

Remember though, no ratings in doubles. Get into a PDGA sanctioned singles event for that.

Yeah, I know. It's events run like that in general that turn me off to unsanctioned events. I fault myself for not on checking the payouts and expecting more from group of guys I was playing with.

For me, and I assume most, sanctioned events only allows my name within the online results ... sort of an ever going reminder as to where my game stacks up against those (mainly locals) competitors that competed on that particular day! Cool, but, I've never attended any year-end championships or such forth where my sanctioning dollars were supposed to go and support! Yes, if I fork over my $50 I even get round ratings. However, not being a travel type tournament player, I prefer local non-sanctioned events due to the cost .... however, the ongoing reminders of tournament results online do have a tendency to push me to "step up" my game!

In my competitive days, costs and sanctioning was more preferred. Now, I prefer a lower cost and good fellowship to make me enter events.

The fun really depends more on who is running the event and on who signs up. If the event (or your card) is stocked with moody, competitive prima donnas, it doesn't matter who the TD is, or who is sanctioning the event. On the other hand, if the event is well run, and the players have good attitudes, sanctioning doesn't make a difference to me.

But I've played enough sanctioned events, and with enough rated players, to have a feel for where my rating would be if I had one, and I don't feel the urge to pin down a specific rating for myself. In my very limited experience, I tend to have the most fun at Ice Bowls and Ace Races. One thing that surprised me was how hard a guy on my card took it when he carded a quadruple bogey on a hole at our Ice Bowl last month. He just got pissed off at himself for ruining his round, and tried to keep his irritation from spilling over onto us, but it affected the mood of the card. Later in the round, another guy on the card took something like a triple bogey on a short, easy hole, and just shrugged it off and kept having fun. Seeing someone else have a blowup hole and not let it get to him seemed to help the first guy, and things improved from there. I guess the moral of the story is that if you don't sweat the small stuff, it helps everyone around you learn not to take it as hard either.

Latest posts