• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Schusterick Driving Clinic

Possibly from increased tendon travel?
I am guessing it's because I did something wrong because it was a pretty significant discomfort... although it also might be because I tried to rip a 350' drive without discing up my throws first. Could be both. Regardless, I'll work on things to see how they feel.

^^Sidewinder, that video is actually pretty helpful! I have been trying to work on my center of gravity in throws and this explains things pretty well. Now if we could just get some good weather for discing...

On distance you need more nose down, which can happen with a power grip that rips off the index finger. Any stacked or fan grip is ideal for control because it adds a slight degree of nose up to help range things. I only use a true power grip when I need to get over 500ft. Everything else is my modified stacked grip that I can tighten or fan out depending on the distance.

I didn't notice the slight differences until I got pretty deep into my own technique. It was one of the last "AHA!" moments I had once everything else was in place.

zj1002, would love to see a short video clip of you showing your various grips and explaining what fingers the disc rips off under the various scenarios.

zj1002, would love to see a short video clip of you showing your various grips and explaining what fingers the disc rips off under the various scenarios.

I'm not sure I have time for a video these days.

But this may help some. It covers a lot of grips. He explains what the rip/grip points should be, but it looks like its assuming a high power shot. Lower power shots usually don't use as much index rip.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

I use something similar to Stacked Power Grip Ver. 2

edit - Crazy that the article is over 10 years old...

SW and HUB already pointed this out about the head down being bad but I'd like to expand on that. In ball golf the common advice is very often thrown around and completely misrepresented.

Head down is bad. Eyes down are good.

Try holding your head down (chin to chest) and turn your shoulders back as you would reachback (or even a ball golf swing). Hard to move and restricting right?

Look at HUB's screencap of Will, his spine and eyes are down but his chin and head are up inline and still maintaining that 90 degree angle that SearchingforSilky explains in the video.

Look at this cap of Mcbeth, Will and Koling (Feldbeard doesnt count), all of them are pulling across their chest. Will is just bent over with a tilted spine more.
Screen%20Shot%202014-11-06%20at%205.17.23%20PM.png