• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Scorch

Honestly, I feel like most disc numbers seem to be for hard throwers. Something like a star Destroyer isn't going to turn at anything less than 400'.

If you like speed 11 and want a good, flippy bomber, you could also try a Mystere or Mamba. In heavy weights the Mamba isn't as flippy as advertised.
There are some surprisingly beefy Mambas out there, I had a Champ 173 that was almost a Wraith. For a flippier Scorch replacement in 11 speed and also Discraft it has to be Surge SS, then Thrasher but neither of those have the glide potential of the Scorch IMO. Used to bag two Surges and two Surge SS and those were all replaced by three Scorches.

Got to throw a stock stamp 170-172g ESP Scorch. Nice and gummy ESP. Finally a Scorch that flew like its numbers. I could get it to do a big S-shape flight and land +360ft. Didn't have my best day thowing but I managed to pass 360ft on a couple of throws which is really good for my arm. Looking forward to get more throws with it and maybe buy another one if I keep liking it.

Idk about that Destroyer assessment. It takes at least 450' or some serious beating in to see turn out of a Star Destroyer. I'll have to throw mine again soon and see if I still agree, but from my memory, I don't remember seeing my Destroyers turn much if at all. Could be a nose angle thing too though.

You're probably right. I definitely don't get turn on most star Destroyers at 400'. Some of the Wysocki raptor ones would turn a lot at 400', though.

Halo Destroyers don't turn for me at all. I have to put them high and anny as hard as I can to get any S curve out of them.

The Zeus is even worse. Those things are freaking beef, and of the 4 I've thrown, they don't even think about turning when thrown flat.

Got to throw a stock stamp 170-172g ESP Scorch. Nice and gummy ESP. Finally a Scorch that flew like its numbers. I could get it to do a big S-shape flight and land +360ft. Didn't have my best day thowing but I managed to pass 360ft on a couple of throws which is really good for my arm. Looking forward to get more throws with it and maybe buy another one if I keep liking it.

Plastic seems to make a big difference with the Scorch. My ESP (test flight) is really nice. It glides well, turns easily, and doesn't have a dumpy late fade.

My 2 Z Scorches lose a lot of distance late in flight due to a horrendously dumpy fade. The disc just stops going forward and falls out of the air like a brick.

For what the Scorch is supposed to do, I feel like the Mamba and Mystere both do a better job. So does the Thrasher.

There are some surprisingly beefy Mambas out there, I had a Champ 173 that was almost a Wraith. For a flippier Scorch replacement in 11 speed and also Discraft it has to be Surge SS, then Thrasher but neither of those have the glide potential of the Scorch IMO. Used to bag two Surges and two Surge SS and those were all replaced by three Scorches.

The Scorch definitely glides well. I love the way it comes out of my hand. Everything about it feels good. However, I find that I lose a TON of late distance with the Scorch because it fades/dumps so brutally. I've never seen a disc look for the ground so fast. The Scorch loses energy quickly and falls out of the air. I can't explain it.

Head to head against the Mystere, the Mystere whipped the crap out of the Scorch for me. It just did everything better.

The Scorch definitely glides well. I love the way it comes out of my hand. Everything about it feels good. However, I find that I lose a TON of late distance with the Scorch because it fades/dumps so brutally. I've never seen a disc look for the ground so fast. The Scorch loses energy quickly and falls out of the air. I can't explain it.

Head to head against the Mystere, the Mystere whipped the crap out of the Scorch for me. It just did everything better.

In what plastic was the Mystere you where throwing against the Scorch?

Has anyone thrown the Cryztal Sparkle Scorch? Looking for a comparison to Z, FR Z or ESP. Most of my other Cryztal sparkle discs are more OS off the shelf.

After further testing I have come to the conclusion that the Scorch just doesn't work for me. The dumpy fade in the end of its flight makes it always the shortest disc versus similar disc's. For example the grace has a forward penetrating fade that made it go easily an additional 30ft vs the scorch. When the scorch loses it's momentum it just drops from the sky :/

The Scorch is weird as hell. Its wing is completely convex ala a Roadrunner or Heat, yet it's nowhere near as understable as them. The Z ones I tried fly rather neutral with maybe a hair of flip and a larger fade.

Has anyone thrown the Cryztal Sparkle Scorch? Looking for a comparison to Z, FR Z or ESP. Most of my other Cryztal sparkle discs are more OS off the shelf.

I haven't yet, but I'm hoping to be able to later today. I've got MJ ESP and FR Z to compare it to.

After further testing I have come to the conclusion that the Scorch just doesn't work for me. The dumpy fade in the end of its flight makes it always the shortest disc versus similar disc's. For example the grace has a forward penetrating fade that made it go easily an additional 30ft vs the scorch. When the scorch loses it's momentum it just drops from the sky :/

100% agree with this. It isn't that the Scorch performs poorly for me. I can steer it and make it fly how I want. However, the sheer loss of distance vs. other similar discs is appalling. The Scorch loses a TON of distance compared to the Mystere, Thrasher, or Grace.

I HAAATTEE the way the Scorch fades. It loses energy suddenly and just plummets from the air like a shot duck.

For what the Scorch is SUPPOSED to provide I feel like the Grace is a way, way better option. I'd even take a long look at the Archon in this slot.

Last edited:
100% agree with this. It isn't that the Scorch performs poorly for me. I can steer it and make it fly how I want. However, the sheer loss of distance vs. other similar discs is appalling. The Scorch loses a TON of distance compared to the Mystere, Thrasher, or Grace.

I HAAATTEE the way the Scorch fades. It loses energy suddenly and just plummets from the air like a shot duck.

For what the Scorch is SUPPOSED to provide I feel like the Grace is a way, way better option. I'd even take a long look at the Archon in this slot.

What if there were a shot, in the woods lets say, where the disc needed to fly low and fast...then abruptly do the type of fade you describe...I could see a need for a disc that could fill role...or not too.

I threw a few Scorches against Grace, Tern, Shryke, Nuke and a few others today

I don´t know why but the Scorch just drops from the sky for me. . shortest distance of all i tried.

Grace "won" for me, not always the longest but most consistent. . Shryke had the longest throw but landed all over the place no control at all

I think any of yall not happy with a Scorch should try the DGA Proline Rogue.

It's a great 11 speed for most Ams that no one talks about.

I threw a few Scorches against Grace, Tern, Shryke, Nuke and a few others today

I don´t know why but the Scorch just drops from the sky for me. . shortest distance of all i tried.

Grace "won" for me, not always the longest but most consistent. . Shryke had the longest throw but landed all over the place no control at all

The Scorch is short even against discs in its own speed class (11). Mystere and Grace are both a lot longer.

So I threw my Cryztal Scorch yesterday and it's basically a shorter Zeus for me. I probably need to reevaluate it when it gets warmer again and see how much distance it really will get. It was only going about 330 or so, but my distance isn't what it usually is.

First run Scorch was more fairway driver like for me also. Not great distance compared to other similar discs, but controllable.