• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seeking reviews on a selected few of bags

i had the ranger for about 6 months and then it started to loose its shape and form and it just wasnt fun anymore it made me resent getting it so after the season ended for the winter i invested in a Grip A-series and i love it! there is nothing better in my opion!:)

My take on them.
Grip EQ had access to the old model but not so much on the new ones. Very clean bag, essentially an industry standard. Costs a bit extra but since theyve been up and running the new models i really havent heard any complaints.

Simian, dont have enough experience gonna skip this one.

Ranger, Not a fan. Putter pocket is a real pain in the ass. Its to tight for two discs and the main disc compartment is prone to spill EVERYTHING if the bag tips while you are on a hill. It is very annoying.

and the Catalyst. My current bag so I may be biased. I was happy with the 120 price and the bag is doing very well. If it had a rain fly that would be nice however a umbrella can sit nicely in the side pocket and cover your bag. The mini pocket is completely worthless. As mentioned the customer service seems a bit spotty however things have seemed to have gotten better as dj got more experience and scott was added to their team.

I realize you asked for those 4 specifically but I'm gonna suggest you check out the Ergo2. My buddy has a simian and I have carried it for a few rounds and it felt like a back brace. It's an awesome bag functionality wise but just not comfy. My other friend has a grip and there is nothing bad I can say about it. I recently just picked up an ergo2 and it is crazy comfy. I also carry 18-22 discs and they fit flawlessly. It comes with a rainfly, has plenty of storage in the side and bottom pocket, putter pocket can hold 3, and the vertical storage is just plain awesome. Sorry if you weren't looking for other options but figured I would throw this out there.

I love my grip. Anything Will tip over if you put it the wrong way on a hill. I've had my regular style bags tip over on hills As far as quality, it seems like the grip is the way to go. I am not going on a camping trip, so the storage is perfect. I carry a softball, baby wipes, birdie bag, and wallet on one side pocket. A poweraid and water in the drink holders. My camera and mini tripod, and keys on the other side pocket. In the front top I put my lights for night rounds, cell phone, portable batterycharger to charge my phone or camera, usb cord, and sunglasses. That's a ton of crap. If I'm playing a round I'm either generating too much heat to wear a sweatshirt, or I'm wearing the sweatshirt, but it will fit in the side pocket if positioned correctly. I hope that helps.

I realize you asked for those 4 specifically but I'm gonna suggest you check out the Ergo2. My buddy has a simian and I have carried it for a few rounds and it felt like a back brace. It's an awesome bag functionality wise but just not comfy. My other friend has a grip and there is nothing bad I can say about it. I recently just picked up an ergo2 and it is crazy comfy. I also carry 18-22 discs and they fit flawlessly. It comes with a rainfly, has plenty of storage in the side and bottom pocket, putter pocket can hold 3, and the vertical storage is just plain awesome. Sorry if you weren't looking for other options but figured I would throw this out there.

I have to respectfully disagree with your take on the Simian's comfort. I've found it to be nothing but comfortable. The PVC frame is certainly stiff, but I don't mind it at all, whether I'm playing a quick round or playing 72 holes during a day trip.

Just wanted to offer an alternate perspective.

I'm sure it just takes some getting used to but that was my experience. Like I said it's a functionally awesome bag just not the most comfortable to me.

I'm sure it just takes some getting used to but that was my experience. Like I said it's a functionally awesome bag just not the most comfortable to me.

Word. I just wanted to make sure others wouldn't necessarily write off the Simian as being uncomfortable. But, I certainly get where you're coming from. Especially since the Ergo 2 looks to be fantastically comfortable.

With the top bags it really comes down to what you prioritize. I wanted a bag that would be big enough for any circumstance, not just in carrying discs but sandwiches, water, towels, etc etc, and I thought the built-in stool was an amazing feature. The Simian has done nothing but delivered for me. I love it. At the same time, the compact, ergonomic design, ample space, and sweet rainfly of the Ergo 2 are all huge selling points if that's what you're after. Like you alluded to, your best bet is if you can find these in person and give them a try. I always talk people up when I see they have nice bags, just to get a better sense of what else is out there and how people are feeling about them.

Latest posts