• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch... 1st ever perfect 5.00 in top 10?

I dont know what you call "pretty" but the land is awesome and the holes match the terrain very well. There are some really great "photoshots" off the tee where you just stand there for a minute and say to yourself..."wow"

Like I said,i'd have to play it,it looks like a great course and most of my judgement comes from course play/layout.

I'm a bit of a Flyboy fanboy,but I have no problem with other courses coming up,the more the better I say!:hfive:

$20 for a cart? that's a little bit ridiculous. I know golf courses that don't charge that much.

$20 for a cart? that's a little bit ridiculous. I know golf courses that don't charge that much.

This was my first thought,but then realized that this course is probably a lot rougher on the carts then a Ball golf course.

This was my first thought,but then realized that this course is probably a lot rougher on the carts then a Ball golf course.

Big time. I can see how they can and will get beat up.

Your right on that all day long, and/or the fact that it costs 20 for a cart. And it would be a looongg day without one. But I think that will keep the trash away and the courses in great shape

by trash... are you referring to people... or actual trash.

That does seem a bit high, but I wouldn't rate down for an optional perk being overpriced especially when I would probably walk anyway.

That does seem a bit high, but I wouldn't rate down for an optional perk being overpriced especially when I would probably walk anyway.

You will be sad if you walk

The course length doesnt represent the actual length of everything out there. I respect your endurance but a cart is a must, but if you want to walk, have fun

[devil's advocate]

Some of those holes look fantastic, others look like they belong on a pitch and putt course. Such as hole 3 on lakeside, this is purely going off what pictures were uploaded though so maybe I'm just not seeing something.

Is every water hole a hyzer shot??? I ask because the water shots and really the overall course design reminds me of West Lake Park in Davenport, Iowa.

I'll just c/p what I wrote in cons on that one, that might come up in the future on these courses:
Cons: -I've got a few complaints and in my opinion, design errors on this that makes it a 4.5(I almost gave it a 4). Some of the holes just seemed too long, now I don't mind distance, but distance for the sake of difficulty just doesn't work for me. I prefer a good shot to be rewarded, not just long throws into the open and then you pick up your disc and throw again. Even hole 13, it looked pretty but was rather boring. I think the hole would have been much cooler if the basket was placed around the big concrete abutments. It would make people want to be more daring in the drives and approaches rather than just a few safe shots and you are at the basket (I took a 4 from pro pad just by playing safe).

*I felt like I either threw long and straight or a hyzer out and around something. My teebirds got worked a lot as well as a few faster overstable discs but no real turnovers or any technical shot unless I was just trying to get out of the rough.

** The water usage just seemed to get repetitive. You either threw a hyzer over it, or you had water behind it to scare you when you putt. A few holes are cool, but after a while it gets to be just monotonous

[/devil's advocate]

I am very excited about playing Selah Park, it looks spectacular to me.

A buddy and myself recently took a trip to Manor, Tx so that we could put some rounds in on East Metro Park. After playing EMP I thought I had found my favorite course in Texas so far, but from what I read this looks to be much better and THAT makes me giddy like a school girl.

Dreadlock; we will DEF have to make a road trip of it man. Try to make it club business ;D Haha.

There isnt a hole out there that is a pitch and putt. I didnt believe it either till I got there, but good lord there isnt an easy bird. Every short hole out there has elevation on or near the green that can turn a decent shot into a bad shot, and a layup to get your 3. As far as hyzers over the water, many of the first and second shots over/near water are annys(RHBH) or neutral shots. The tree placement near the water isnt very RHBH friendly except a couple times but is negated by the anny shots throughtout both courses. And there is no repeating of anything

I am very excited about playing Selah Park, it looks spectacular to me.

A buddy and myself recently took a trip to Manor, Tx so that we could put some rounds in on East Metro Park. After playing EMP I thought I had found my favorite course in Texas so far, but from what I read this looks to be much better and THAT makes me giddy like a school girl.

Dreadlock; we will DEF have to make a road trip of it man. Try to make it club business ;D Haha.

East Metro is sweet, gets beat all day long by live oak gold in Ingleside, this beats them both

That's not exactly correct...

"Daily greens fee $20/person for unlimited play. Overnight guest greens fee $10/person for unlimited play. Season passes available. $30 cart fee if you want to rent an electric golf cart."

So if you want a cart for the day it's $50. ($20 for greens fees/$30 for the cart)

I don't have to see the course.

$20 greens fees automatically makes it a 4 rated course not matter how great it is.

"Daily greens fee $20/person for unlimited play. Overnight guest greens fee $10/person for unlimited play. Season passes available. $30 cart fee if you want to rent an electric golf cart."

So if you want a cart for the day it's $50. ($20 for greens fees/$30 for the cart)

$20 greens fees automatically makes it a 4 rated course not matter how great it is.

That's kind of silly,just don't play it.

There isnt a hole out there that is a pitch and putt. I didnt believe it either till I got there, but good lord there isnt an easy bird. Every short hole out there has elevation on or near the green that can turn a decent shot into a bad shot, and a layup to get your 3. As far as hyzers over the water, many of the first and second shots over/near water are annys(RHBH) or neutral shots. The tree placement near the water isnt very RHBH friendly except a couple times but is negated by the anny shots throughtout both courses. And there is no repeating of anything

I would call these pitch and putts

Hole 3
8193429d.jpg

Hole 6

Hole 8

------------------------

Hole 4
86f53d34.jpg

Hole 5
c7e4613c.jpg

Hole 6
92a17640.jpg

Hole 13
109af449.jpg

Hole 17
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/4530/e920eb24.jpg

Dont remember most of those, but I played the big boy tees, so maybe those are the shorts. As far as the others, if those are pitch and putts for you, congrats, have fun with that putt.

I'm confused now... are you talking about this disc golf course or your local ball golf course?

With all I've seen and read about Selah, we very well could see it. It has the right things going for it. A carefully crafted course by Houck is one thing, but having access to the run of a private property is the biggest factor. Houck could design a course at a small city park, and it wouldn't be a 5.0. It's like the perfect storm that an accomplished designer, who also pushes the envelope with new design standards, has the creative vision and opportunity to build something at this private paradise.

I must say, there will be the nitpicky reviewers and those whose personal preferences dictate a few 4.5 ratings. Things like pay to play may make some cheapskates ornery, and lack of some big elevation may make the variety craving people (like me) nitpick and score a bit lower. But I myself have come to realize that all my preferences play a significant role in my spreadsheet based ratings calculation, so I'm adding another factor - "the feel". Some course just push the right buttons inside you and make you feel great after you did. Highbridge Hills as a destination to the middle of nowhere is one. Phantom Falls with the hospitality and great times had with Pauly is one. Flip City has the cult following on a private feelgood paradise. Flyboy has some great property and design and is even more appealing now with the exclusivity. Selah, and it's grand aura of design and property may be one just like Highbridge and Flyboy.